Welcome to the Home of the
Southern New Jersey State Babe Ruth Baseball
2015 Rule Changes
The International Board of Directors has approved the following rule changes beginning with the 2015 season. These changes will be reflected in the 2015 Babe Ruth League, Inc. Rules and Regulations.
2. Babe Ruth Baseball 16-18 Division –The Designated Hitter has been replaced with an Extra Player “EP” for local league and Babe Ruth tournament competition, which includes District, State and Regional competition, as well as the 16-18 World Series. Prior to the beginning of each tournament game, the manager may elect to add a tenth hitter to the batting order. The player will be indicted in the line-up as the “EP”. The “EP” cannot be added to the line-up once the game begins. The “EP” will be treated as any other starter, and cannot be eliminated during the course of the game. If a team starts with 10 players, the team must finish with 10 players. Penalty shall be a forfeit.
3. Rulebook – Rule 0.01 – REQUIREMENTS FOR CHARTER (paragraph 5) (All Divisions of Babe Ruth League, Inc.) State Commissioners shall approve geographical boundaries established by each league in conjunction with the District Commissioner in whose district that league exists and operates. Appropriate written descriptions, maps or specifications of boundary limitations, must be certified by and filed with the State Commissioner and submitted to Babe Ruth League, Inc. for final approval. A player must play within the league’s geographical boundaries in which the player resides. This is determined according to the legal residence of the player’s parents or legal guardian. Waivers permitting a player to play outside of his geographical boundaries are not permitted in Babe Ruth League. League geographical boundaries shall be subject to review and adjustment by the State or Regional Commissioner and Babe Ruth League, Inc. whenever it is deemed advisable. Geographical boundaries are established to eliminate competition of an undesirable nature, but shall not be established to prevent healthy expansion of teams and leagues within any given area. The only exceptions to the above rule are as follows:
b. NEW – If the physical location of the school where a player attends classes during the traditional academic year is within the boundaries of an established league, the player is permitted to participate in the established league. (Note: This excludes home schools, cyber schools, sports-related schools, sports academies, or after school where a student participates outside of the primary school in which the player is enrolled.) Once a player selects to participate in a league where the player is eligible, the player must finish the current season in the same league under the school boundary rule.
5. Babe Ruth Baseball and Cal Ripken Baseball (All Divisions) – Anyone warming up a pitcher at any location shall wear a mask. A throat protector is considered part of the catcher’s mask.
6. Babe Ruth League, Inc. – All Divisions – If any bat in Cal Ripken Baseball, Babe Ruth Baseball or Babe Ruth Softball cannot be clearly identified for its make and model to determine the barrel composition, then the bat should be removed from the game.
7. Babe Ruth Softball (14U, 16U and 18U Divisions) Rule 2.00 – Definition of Shoes – Metal cleats are permitted in the 14U, 16U and 18U divisions. In the 10U and 12U divisions, only rubber cleats will be permitted.