Church Memorial Park is named in honour of Senator Charles E. Church, a Tancook Island native who served as Lunenburg County MP from 1872-1878. He also represented the area as a Nova Scotia MLA for one term, and was appointed to the Canadian Senate in 1902. He died on his 71st birthday in 1906.
By the terms of his will any residue in his estate after the passing of his widow was to be used for the purchase and creation of a park for the Village of Chester. The property was purchased in 1928 and construction of tennis courts, a club house and baseball field were completed in the fall of 1932. There were no provisions for maintenance and upkeep of the park in Senator Church's will, and the responsibility fell to a Citizens' Park Committee comprised of local volunteers.
Thanks to the generosity of The Pew Charitable Trusts , the Eleanor Pew Morris Memorial Rink complex, comprising an ice arena, four-sheet curling rink, clubhouse and canteen facilities, opened on the park site on February 14, 1970. Eleanor Pew Morris was one of three daughters of Joseph N. Pew Jr. and Alberta C. Pew. She pre-deceased her mother Alberta who then helped establish the rink as a memorial to her. The Park continues to receive annual financial support from The Pew Charitable Trusts, as well as from the Municipality of the District of Chester
From Halifax: Hwy-103 west approx. 50 km to Hwy-3/Chester (exit 7). Turn right on Hwy-3 and proceed west approx. 5 km to Old Tk 3 Rd./Duke Street. Turn left on Old Tk 3 Rd./Duke St. and proceed south approx. 0.4 km to the next left. Turn left and watch for arena approx. 0.25 km on the left.