Jeff Thomas, Director, Sprint Coach
Jeff has been teaching and coaching youth sports in the bay area for 22 years. He spent 8 years teaching and coaching at a K-8 school, and the last 14 have been spent at the high school level. While at the high school, he has been an Athletic Director, weight training teacher, and physical education department chair. He started out coaching middle school basketball, and that progressed into middle school cross country, track, flag football, soccer, and volleyball. Jeff has coached track and field, football, and golf at the high school level. He ran a successful volleyball youth camp in Morgan Hill, and an all-sports camp at Monta Vista High School (Cupertino).
Jeff has spent a lot of time coaching football over the past 12 years at Live Oak and most recently at Monta Vista. Jeff has been the weight training and speed/conditioning coordinator for the program since he arrived there in 2004. As the JV head coach in 2005, Jeff took over a 1-19 team during the previous two seasons and ran off a 20 game unbeaten streak that spanned 3 seasons, including records of 9-0-1 and 9-1. He inherited the job of varsity offensive coordinator in 2011. From 2001-2010 Monta Vista football had 13 games with 35+ points scored. From 2011-2014 with Jeff as the offensive coordinator, they produced 18 games with 35+ points, with several 40+ and a few 50+. He served as the Track and Field throws coach at MV in 2005 and 2006, MV's boys and girls throwers placed higher as a team in leagues in 2005 than they had done in a long while or since. He is still the current varsity golf coach at Monta Vista, and has sent golfers to CCS every year since he took over the job in 2008.
Currently, Jeff has taken time away from the grind of high school football to focus on coaching his daughters in the sports that they play and love. He has a passion for all things athletic, and has a firm grasp on the science behind efficient sports-related movements. More importantly, he knows how to teach what he knows to kids of all ages in terms they can understand.
Jeff has a masters degree in Cross-Cultural Education and bachelors in Kinesiology (study of human movement) from Washington State University, where he earned a scholarship to play football for the PAC-10 (Now PAC-12) Cougars. He played football, baseball, and basketball at Live Oak High School, and was named the Morgan Hill Times Athlete of the year in 1990. He has a wife (Christie) and two daughters (Ella, 10 and Carlyjo 13).
Erik Beckman, Distance Coach, Cross Country Head Coach
Coach Erik's accomplishments as a coach and athlete:
· YMCA Recreation – 2011 to 2013
· OVYSL Recreation– U6 2013 to 2014
· OVYLS Competitive – U8 2014 to 2015
· SCBA – Boys 7/8 year olds 2014 to 2017
· NJB – Boys 9/10 year olds 2017 to present
· Morgan Hill Charter School – Boys 7th Grade 2015
· Morgan Hill Charter School – Boys 8th Grade 2016
· Morgan Hill Charter School – Boys 7th Grade 2017
· Wesco AA All-Stars – Boys 1997
· Arlington High School Assistant Coach – Boys 1998
COYOTE VALLEY TRACK & FIELD
· Track and Field – Winter/Spring Long Distance 2016
· Track and Field – Summer Camp 2016
· Cross Country – Fall 2016
o USATF National Junior Olympic Cross Country Championships - 3 runners qualified
Coached USATF Pacific Division 1st and 3rd place runners in the 7-8 Age Group
· Track and Field – Winter Long Distance 2017
· Trail Running – Spring 2017
As an Athlete...
· High School Boys Basketball Wesco 1st Team All-League - 1995
· High School Snohomish County Player of the Year – 1995
· Played College Basketball at Everett CC and Skagit Valley College
· Wildflower 35-39 age group winner for 5k – 2014
· Wildflower 35-39 age group winner for 10k – 2015
· Hoover Dam Half Marathon 35-39 age group 2nd place finisher – 2014
· 15x Tough Mudder Competitor
· 2x Spartan Competitor
· 3x Worlds Toughest Mudder Competitor
o 2014 Finished w/ 40 miles
o 2015 Finished w/ 55 miles and Top 10% out of 1300 competitors
o 2016 Finished w/ 60 miles and Top 10% out of 1500 competitors
· Multiple obstacle course races, 5k and 10k races in the Bay Area