Laurys AA Board Minutes

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Laurys Athletic Association

 

Board Meeting

 

20 March 2014

 

 

 

Attendees:  Mark Brown, Mack Ziegler, Jamie Edelman, Bryan Landis, Brian Edelman, Matt Goldman, Mike Wisser, Chris Schantz, Frank Kauffman, Jr., Ron Hunsberger, James Klass, Kip Ernst

 

Administration

 

 

 

1.      President’s report

 

a.     Topics

 

                                               i.     Finalize Coaching staff

 

1.      Knee-hi CWL B league – coach still needed

 

2.     T-Ball – filled

 

3.     10U – filled

 

                                              ii.     Background checks – every adult on bench. Link on website – under useful links

 

                                             iii.     Mallory Bombay Grant due 31 Mar (Electricity / Dugouts) – Tournament 4/26.   Laurys as an overflow field?  Scholarship, Grant for project, Needy Family (3 way split of $ raised).  Submit for electrical work for field lights and snack stand.  Need a quote on contractor letterhead submitted by 3/31.

 

                                             iv.     Pictures - Contact Vendor (Pittman, Christmas City?  Mark will call several places for availability) / Set date (25 Apr or 2 May)

 

                                              v.     Umpire payment process

 

1.      One payment for season with tracking sheet, unless there isn’t enough money in the account.

 

                                             vi.     Clean-up Day

 

1.      Confirm date – 3/29 – 9 a.m.

 

2.     Communications plan – email team families

 

3.     Do we have everything - signs, netting, tractor runs

 

                                            vii.     Upper field scoreboard - dismantle or replace? – table for now.  Matt Goldman can provide a post at no cost.  Drill holes in sign to let wind through

 

                                           viii.     Laurys-Google beer night – Mack willing to provide training – Friday, 3/28 – Mack will send out instructions prior – read ahead of time.  Google drive, like dropbox, but a slightly different dynamic.  7pm at Mack’s.

 

                                             ix.     Uniform orders must be submitted before 28 Mar. – need to get late sign ups ordered asap. 

 

2.     Treasurer’s Report 

 

a.     General Announcements

 

                                               i.     Balance provided

 

                                              ii.     Taxes – not due til 5/15, so will be done after 4/15.

 

3.     Events & Fundraising

 

a.     In Progress

 

                                               i.     Lottery - Daily Number – get tickets in asap, if needed.  Begins last day of March.

 

                                              ii.     Corporate Sponsorship letter 

 

1.      Progress to date.

 

a.     Draft for review by Board Members

 

                                             iii.     Signs

 

1.      Williams doesn’t make the sign we need

 

2.     A to Z has not returned call

 

3.     Scribbles and Drips does not make signs

 

4.     Kip will provide name of possible vendor

 

                                             iv.     Spirit wear

 

1.      Distribute forms first practice

 

2.     Return 11 Apr

 

3.     Website up until 9 May

 

a.     Orders placed from 11 Apr to 9 May will be processed

 

4.     11 Apr orders will be returned before 2 May and 9May orders will be returned by 30 May

 

                                              v.     Pellman cakes

 

1.      Progress to date

 

a.     Letters and brochure hand-out to coaches

 

b.     Incentives

 

                                                                                                     i.     10 units = string bag

 

                                                                                                    ii.     20 units = string bag and long sleeve T

 

2.     Key Dates

 

a.     Start Date = first practice

 

b.     Due date = 26 Apr

 

c.     Delivery date = 3 May (Opening Day) for Mother’s Day

 

                                             vi.     Opening Day

 

1.      Date = 3 May

 

2.     Need committee to assist

 

3.     Need Microphone / PA – Kip will look into

 

4.     Finalize Agenda

 

a.     Board Introductions

 

b.     Team Introductions

 

c.     Star Spangled Banner – singer from players?

 

d.     Opening Pitch

 

e.     Chinese Auction (Volunteers)

 

f.      Snack stand (Volunteers) (Stocking)

 

g.     Bounce House rental ?  Liability….NO

 

h.     Ask Beth Sloan – games from community day?  Iron out by next meeting.

 

i.       New truck – fire trucks…

 

j.       Flyer/Pamphlet?

 

k.     Spirit wear vendor on-site maybe - Cotton T-shirts only - printed onsite

 

4.     Snack stand

 

a.     General

 

                                               i.     Begin opening during Cleanup

 

b.     Scheduling

 

                                               i.     Need process – new method – try one year and evaluate

 

                                              ii.     Coordination to begin once game schedules released

 

c.     Outstanding / closed

 

                                               i.     Fix cord on Fryer - no progress – Brian Edelman will take care of

 

                                              ii.     Change out locks - no progress

 

                                             iii.     Grill Approved, not ordered

 

                                             iv.     Keurig approved, not purchased

 

                                              v.     Electricity review

 

                                             vi.     Bottled Water (Ron H.)

 

                                            vii.     Grill – Free from Bryan Landis

 

5.     Fields and Equipment

 

a.     General Announcements

 

                                               i.     Ron - Field Scheduling - are we ready to begin scheduling practices?

 

1.      Use Google to post schedule

 

b.     Outstanding

 

                                               i.     Equipment review – purchase 2 sets of replacements for bases (breakaway)

 

c.     New / Upcoming

 

                                               i.     Infield mix - 28 Mar delivery, weather permitting

 

                                              ii.     grass cutting for the season - Matt Ernst

 

                                             iii.     Porta-potty - All Jays

 

                                             iv.     Snack stand water - Kris Koren will turn on.

 

                                              v.     Garbage & Recycling - Advanced Waste Disposal

 

                                             vi.     Lawn field care (fertilizer) - Tru-Green – Overseed every 2-3 years

 

 

 

Sports

 

 

 

6.     Softball

 

a.     Softball Rep report – meetings next Wednesday

 

b.     Still need one 18U girl

 

7.     Baseball

 

a.     CWL - Kris Koren

 

                                               i.     Outstanding / closed

 

1.      Need religious and community dates by Friday mtg.

 

2.     Need Opening day schedule

 

b.     Parkland - Landis

 

1.      June 7 or 14th – can we host PYL all star game?  Prob. 14th.  OK if the 14th.  Not 7th.  Bryan to email Kris Koren.

 

c.     Knee-Hi CWL A league try-outs

 

                                               i.     Dates: 23 Mar @ ESA & 29 / 30th at Laurys AA

 

                                              ii.     Need coaches to evaluate

 

1.      Barna

 

2.     Koren

 

3.     Brown

 

4.     Ziegler

 

5.     Edelman

 

                                             iii.     ESA 23 Mar 3:30 - 5:00

 

1.      Evaluators to meet at 3 to review process.

 

8.     Announce date of next meeting – 4/10 at 7/8pm.

 

 

 

Brosky Wifflebowl - 7/26 or 27 (raindate)

 

Fall registration – start in April /May

 

Laurys Athletic Association

 

Board Meeting

 

27 February 2014

 

 

 

Attendees:  Mark Brown, Mack Zeigler, Jamie Edelman, Ron Hunsburger, Brian Edelman, Bryan Landis, Kris Koren, Barb Koren, Laela Ziegler, Trish Wilson, Matt Goldman, Mike Barna, Keith Semmel, James Klass

 

 

 

ADMINISTRATION & FACILITIES

 

 

 

I.               President’s Report

 

a.     Registration weather make-up – March 1st from 9-11 a.m.

 

                                               i.     Who will be there – James, Kris, Mark, Mack

 

b.     League news & events

 

                                               i.     LVL: Mark/Kris – not participating due to LVL’s lack of leadership and unwillingness to step up.

 

1.      CWL:  Kris – Having an A & B team, A Division will be as competitive as LVL.  CWL Midget and up will be in CWL.  Midget and Knee-Hi will be in A Div.  No grasshopper team.  T-ball and Biddy will be in Parkland League.

 

2.     Parkland:  Mark/Klass/Landis – George Atiyeh is stepping down after this year.  No one has stepped up to take his place, so the future of Parkland League baseball is unclear.

 

3.     14U team; 12U – only 4 girls – not going to happen; 18U – 5 now, need 2 more, 2 14U’s can double roster – 2 teams with coaches, 1 team without a coach.  Final numbers by 3/13.  Coaches meeting 3/26.  Hoping to know by this weekend.

 

                                              ii.     Volunteer status – Still need more team moms.

 

                                             iii.     Coaches Background Checks – can be done online – link is on the website.  Costs $10, will be reimbursed.

 

                                             iv.     Spring clean-up – Date changed to March 29, will check status at 3/20 meeting.

 

                                              v.     Financial Transition Status – completed, except for 2013 taxes.  Jen will do that.

 

                                             vi.     Opening Day

 

1.      Each team to provide an item for auction; approximately $60 value.

 

2.     Need volunteers for auction, spirit wear, and snack stand.

 

3.     Date – May 3rd

 

                                            vii.     Laurys Google accounts have been created and will be distributed this week.  At this time the following roles will have accounts:

 

1.      President,

 

2.     Vice President

 

3.     Treasurer

 

4.     Secretary

 

5.     Scheduling

 

6.     Snack Stand

 

7.     Fundraising

 

8.     Baseball Rep

 

9.     Softball Rep

 

10.   Field Maintenance

 

11.    Equipment

 

12.   Each Head Coach

 

                                           viii.     Approval of $500 to purchase baseball and softball equipment.  Motion:  Mike Barna, 2nd:  Mark Brown:  MSP

 

II.              Treasurer’s Report

 

a.     Balance provided

 

III.            Fundraising

 

a.     Spirit Wear (in progress)

 

                                               i.     Design & Catalog are set; vendor website is ready.

 

                                              ii.     Key dates and requirements

 

1.      1st Sale begins with first practice, lasts 2 weeks.  2nd Sale begins on opening day, lasts 2 weeks.  Turn around time is approx. 1 week.  Most is screen-printed.

 

2.     A&H offered to be onsite during opening day to screen print.

 

3.     Update laurysaa.com site

 

                                             iii.     Purchase “show and tell” set for opening day.

 

1.      How / When to distribute order forms?

 

2.     Collect forms and money

 

b.     Pellman – Cakes for mother’s day instead of Easter fundraiser due to tight time frame caused by the weather.

 

c.     Signs for field

 

                                               i.     Is there a letter that was sent out to businesses?

 

                                              ii.     Jamie will look on disc that James gave her to see if the letter is on there.

 

                                             iii.     Laela will check with Ron Ondrecja

 

IV.            Snack Stand

 

a.     New price sheet

 

b.     Security update:  due to the age of the keys and their wide distribution we will be changing out the lock.  Combination padlock instead of issuing all new keys?

 

c.     Outstanding / closed

 

                                               i.     Need approval for grill:  Broil King $400 on Amazon - James Klass, Brian Edelman, MSP

 

1.      Need to measure

 

                                              ii.     Need approval for Keurig coffee maker, $118.00.

 

1.      80c coffee = $40 = $0.50/svg sold at $1, profit = approx. $0.40/svg

 

2.     72c hot cocoa = $30 = $0.42/svg sold @ $1 = approx. $0.50/svg

 

3.     Minimal cleanup

 

4.     No waste

 

d.     New / Upcoming

 

                                               i.     Snack stand is completely empty, need approval for $1000 to stock.  E.g., plates / all serving & paper products, condiments, hamburgers, chicken, French fries, pierogies, etc.  Only food needs restocking – most paper products are in stock, per Jamie Edelman.  No vote taken.

 

                                              ii.     Need approval for register:  $200 - No

 

                                             iii.     Need approval for barcode scanner:  $100 - No

 

                                             iv.     What is the timing on purchasing a fryer – check on when we open stand and then discuss.  Brian Edelman will fix cord on existing fryer.

 

V.              Fields and Equipment

 

a.     New / Upcoming

 

                                               i.     Infield mix for lower field – estimate 1 tri-axle

 

1.      Martin – 800.823.7866

 

2.     Does anyone have a small front-loader?  Brian Edelman

 

                                              ii.     Diamond Dry – township’s is heavier than what Laurys’ has purchased from Coplay.  Investigate what they use through Darrin.

 

                                             iii.     Upper Laurys field dugout needs roof repairs – would it be more cost effective to put a metal roof on instead of shingles?

 

                                             iv.     Equipment serviceability check – done at cleanup day or before?

 

1.      Get quotes for replacements

 

2.     Assemble a bag for each team

 

Laurys Athletic Association

 

Board Meeting

 

16 January 2014

 

 

 

Attendees:  Mark Brown, Mack Zeigler, Jamie Edelman, Ron Hunsburger, Brian Edelman, Bryan Landis, Kris Koren, Barb Koren, Laela Ziegler

 

 

 

ADMINISTRATION & FACILITIES

 

 

 

I.               President’s Report

 

a.     General

 

                                               i.     Tricia Wilson volunteered for Treasurer.  MSP

 

1.      Need a plan to transition from Jen Bond to Tricia Wilson.

 

                                              ii.     Keith Semmel has volunteered for Equipment Manager. MSP

 

                                             iii.     Website changes overview

 

1.      Directions will now be online directly on our website.

 

2.     New features that coaches can take advantage of.

 

3.     Mobile feature.

 

                                             iv.     We have Google!

 

1.      Board members and coaches will have “@laurysaa.com” email addresses

 

2.     Getting started guidelines will be delivered shortly.

 

3.     Suggested from the floor:  Guidelines issued to coaches regarding what kids at each level should be learning and how to teach skills.

 

                                              v.     Registration push

 

1.      1st day review

 

a.     Softball - 7

 

b.     Baseball - 10

 

                                             vi.     LVL

 

1.      Overview and current state – Schnecksville rejected all reasonable proposals.  We can go in as NP, but we forfeit the vote we got and can’t enter as Laurys again.

 

2.     Try-outs – ESA first two weeks of March

 

                                            vii.     Open Volunteer positions

 

1.      Board – Field Manager

 

2.     Assistant Snack Stand

 

3.     Assistant Field Manager

 

                                           viii.     Opening Day

 

                                             ix.     First 2014 coaches meeting – 20 Feb 14 @ 7:00 p.m.

 

1.      Coaches – submit agenda items by 16 Feb so agenda can be distributed ahead of time.

 

II.              Treasurer’s Report  - not available

 

a.     General Announcements

 

                                               i.     Tricia Wilson has volunteered to be the next Treasurer.

 

1.      Vote

 

2.     Transition plan

 

3.     Cloud software (e.g. Quickbooks - ~30/month, Quicken (through mint.com - free) to manage accounts.

 

III.            Fundraising – it was suggested to show the goal and progress on the website.

 

a.     General

 

                                               i.     Laela to provide brief presentation of fundraising ideas for 2014. – Handout with various vendors.  Free registration for top seller of #1 & 2.  Company pays for incentives for kids.  Attach the goal – what the money was going to – people will spend more money on the fundraisers.

 

1.      Fudge & Candles for Easter (April)

 

2.     Hoagies for May

 

3.     Lottery Tickets (Sign Up)

 

4.     Spirit Wear

 

                                              ii.     Business Sponsorships

 

1.      Signs – obtaining quotes (initial $300 – 200 for sign, 100 donation (renewable yearly))

 

a.     Up renewing price to $150?

 

b.     New sponsors – up price

 

2.     Website – included with sign.

 

3.     Coaches’ shirts

 

b.     In Progress

 

                                               i.     Spirit Wear – Barb Koren

 

1.      Handout with descriptions and pictures of baseball items.  Softball descriptions, but no pictures.  Markup was set on all items.

 

2.     Coaches’ shirts - $33 for new collared shirt – concern about the expense.

 

                                              ii.     Spirit Wear – Barb Koren

 

1.      Progress to date

 

2.     Expectations (updated forecast)

 

3.     Key dates and requirements

 

c.     Opening Day

 

                                               i.     President address organization

 

                                              ii.     Coaches in attendance

 

                                             iii.     As many teams playing that day as possible.  Keep the fields filled.

 

                                             iv.     Committee to plan and report back to board at next meeting.

 

IV.            Snack Stand

 

a.     General

 

                                               i.     Separate Snack stand from other activities to assess revenues

 

                                              ii.     Begin talking with vendors to kick off the year

 

b.     Scheduling

 

                                               i.     Review scheduling of snack stand volunteers (ideas from December meeting) – Discussed and Tabled. 

 

1.      Coordinated with field scheduler

 

2.     Volunteers will not serve when their child is playing

 

c.     New / Upcoming

 

                                               i.     Coffee Maker

 

                                              ii.     Grill – Foreman Grill died.

 

1.      Waring Pro - $200 on Amazon

 

2.     RECOMMENDATION: Broil King - $400 on Amazon – Vote:  MSP

 

3.     Saturn - $860 on Public Kitchen Supply

 

                                             iii.     Fryer – but not an immediate need – vote at a later date.

 

1.      Waring - $260 on Amazon

 

2.     Vollrath - $380 @ Global Industrial.

 

3.     Cooking Preference Group - $640 on the webstaurant store

 

V.              Fields, Equipment, and Scheduling

 

a.     New/ Upcoming

 

                                               i.     Spring Clean-up

 

1.      Set date – 3/1 at 9:00 a.m.

 

a.     Paper on roof of dugouts

 

b.     Martins for tri-axle of dirt to repair fields

 

2.     Communicate

 

                                              ii.     Equipment review completed by 15 Feb

 

1.      Inventory

 

2.     Replenish First Aid Kits

 

3.     Itemize Unserviceable

 

4.     Obtain quotes and order

 

5.     New LVL coaches put together wish list and obtain quotes with equipment manager for board approval.

 

                                             iii.     Dust off scheduling template

 

1.      Use website

 

VI.            Softball

 

a.     Softball Rep Report – No Report

 

                                               i.     Forecast of teams

 

                                              ii.     Coaches

 

1.      Prep – Ron Hunsburger

 

2.     10U -

 

3.     12U -

 

4.     14U - ?

 

5.     18U - ?

 

VII.           Baseball

 

a.     Baseball Rep Report

 

                                               i.     Coaches

 

1.      T-Ball – ??

 

2.     Grasshopper ??

 

3.     CWL Biddy - Landis

 

4.     LVL Biddy – Brown ??

 

5.     CWL Midget ??

 

6.     LVL Midget - Koren

 

7.     Knee-Hi – Goldman??

 

8.     Majors – Mike Barna

 

b.     LVL Evaluators need to be selected and a number scoring system put into place.

 

c.     Parkland – Nothing is in place.  George is done.  It was up and running and then came to a screeching halt.  Mack will contact LTAA regarding T-ball and grasshopper if we need a place to put them if PYA falls through.

 

d.     CWL – Meeting on Wednesday 1/22 – Payment of $25 is due

 

VIII.         Round Table

 

a.     Electric – Field lights need to be fixed.

 

b.     Fence – around backstop.  Needs to be fixed.  Get an estimate on fence and put up rubber?

 

c.     Snack Stand Electric – Franklin would do the work gratis, only need to pay for materials. 

 

IX.            Next Meeting – 20 February 2014 – 8:00 p.m. at Laurys Fire House.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Laurys Athletic Association

 

Board Meeting

 

19 December 2013

 

 

 

 

 

I.               Treasurer’s Report - $9,139.36

 

 

 

II.              Baseball/Softball News

 

a.     Boy’s Report

 

                                               i.     Lehigh Valley League – We were voted in as the “Laurys Area” at Biddy and Midget level.  Boundaries need to be decided with Schnecksville.  Schnecksville has not responded to our request to meet to discuss the boundaries.  Mark Brown will call Matt Rapp from Schnecksville.

 

                                              ii.     Winter Training – Looking for a place to hold it.  ESA – $180 for 90 minutes.  $50/hr at West End.   West End available between 8-11 a.m. on Sunday mornings.  West End in January, ESA in February?  Other potential locations to check on:  Iron Lakes.  A motion was made by Bryan Landis to approve $500 to be available to reserve a spot to hold our winter workout.  Seconded by Ron Ondrejca. 

 

                                             iii.     No Laurys rep was at November CWL meeting.

 

                                             iv.     Parkland League – Rule changes were the main topic of discussion.

 

b.     Girl’s Report – James Klass

 

                                               i.     No meeting until January 2014.

 

III.            Winterize Laurys AA - Completed

 

 

 

IV.            Moving forward for 2014 Laury’s AA Board Member Openings

 

a.     Treasurer

 

b.     Baseball Rep

 

c.     Softball Rep

 

d.     Snack Stand Manager – Barb Koren

 

e.     Fundraiser Coordinator – Laela Ziegler, Barb Koren, Monica Gutman

 

f.      Equipment Manager

 

g.     Field Maintenance

 

V.              Registration

 

a.     Dates

 

                                               i.     Saturday, January 11th from 9 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.

 

                                              ii.     Saturday, January 25th from 12:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.

 

                                             iii.     Saturday, February 1st from 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.

 

b.     Fees – take new uniforms into account

 

                                               i.     A&H can give us the same price on uniforms ($30 baseball).  No names, upgraded pants, flex hats.

 

                                              ii.     Softball – pants instead of shorts - $0.40 increase.

 

                                             iii.     $40 – lottery tickets

 

                                             iv.     $50 volunteer fee (voted and passed) – snack stand manager assigns game dates to team moms, moms assign parents to games, moms give snack stand schedule to parents.

 

c.     Fundraiser at registration – April Lottery Cards.

 

d.     Update forms on website – Jamie will update forms

 

e.     Parkland e-communications

 

f.      Copy forms for registration

 

g.     Registration volunteers

 

VI.            Miscellaneous

 

a.     Field Drainage – Still waiting on estimate, but his upper number is roughly $16K.  Would have to be done after spring season is over.  Brian Edelman recommended compression rolling the outfield while ground is soft (early spring).  Snack stand revenue would be lost for fall season.  All fence posts would have to be redone – fencing could be reused.

 

b.     Parkland Baseball Booster Clinic / Vasilik – at sign-ups

 

c.     Remember lottery winners for registration.

 

 

 

Merry Christmas!  Next Meeting – Thursday, January 16th @ 7:00 p.m.

 

2013-10 Meeting Minutes

Laurys Athletic Association

 

Board Meeting

 

17 October 2013

 

 

 

 

 

I.               Treasurer’s Report

 

a.     $7800 in account

 

b.     $2000 to be deposited

 

c.     Snack stand money – outstanding amount to be turned in at November meeting.

 

II.              Fall Ball – Great Job Coaches!

 

a.     Boy’s Report – Bryan Landis (absent)

 

                                               i.     Letter for LVL has been drafted and will be mailed.  Meeting is in November.  Kris Koren & Mark Brown will attend.

 

                                              ii.     Not sure if Parkland League will exist in spring.

 

                                             iii.     Rec ball – register with CWL

 

                                             iv.     Kris & Mark will handle attending CWL meetings for baseball.

 

b.     Girl’s Report – James Klass

 

                                               i.     Lost a lot of girls to Tournament ball in the fall and many don’t want to come back to rec ball.  Not sure how many girls we’ll have in the spring.

 

III.            Knee-Hi Tournament – Canceled

 

IV.            Winterize Laury’s AA after softball ends

 

a.     Empty Snack Stand – Jamie will sell remaining food – will get a date to Ron– Ron will email families.  Kris will winterize snack stand. 

 

b.     Take down batting cage

 

c.     Clean up around main shed

 

d.     Store upper field scoreboard / equipment

 

e.     Empty Trash Cans

 

f.      Call All-Jays & Advanced Waste Disposal for suspend job-johnny and trash/recycling services.

 

V.              Moving forward for 2014 Laury’s AA Board Member Openings

 

a.     President – Mark Brown

 

b.     Vice President - open

 

c.     Fundraiser Coordinator - open

 

d.     Field Manager - open

 

e.     Treasurer - open

 

f.      Baseball Rep

 

g.     Softball Rep

 

h.     Snack Stand Manager – Barb Koren ?

 

VI.            Registration Dates – North Whitehall Twp. Newsletter Deadline is 11/4 (jkelly@northwhitehall.org).  Laury’s Registration Dates: 1/11 from 9am-12pm, 1/25 from 12-3pm, 2/1 from 11am-2pm – Ron will email the info to James Kelly.

 

VII.           Miscellaneous

 

a.     Field Rentals

 

                                               i.     $75 for 2 hr. lower field w/ lights.

 

                                              ii.     $35 for 2 hr. upper field

 

                                             iii.     $40 for 2 hr. lower field w/ no lights.

 

 

 

Next Meeting – Thursday, November 21st @ 8:00 p.m.

 

Laurys Athletic Association

 

Board Meeting

 

21 November 2013

 

 

 

 

 

I.               Treasurer’s Report

 

a.     The snack stand brought in $2,292.65 in sales.  Remaining $1468.88 turned in tonight from snack stand. End of season sale of left over food brought in $334.

 

b.     $8739.03 in account, plus snack stand $.

 

II.              Baseball/Softball News

 

a.     Boy’s Report – Bryan Landis (absent)

 

                                               i.     LVL Meeting – boundaries are an issue.  Schnecksville wants us to filter our kids through their organization, but won’t allow us to evaluate our own kids.  Not acceptable to Laurys.  Proposal was to split North Parkland area according to elementary schools, but NP & SP boundaries aren’t determined by schools.  It’s an actual boundary line through the district.

 

                                              ii.     Kris & Mark will handle attending CWL meetings for baseball – Bryan was asked to attend the last meeting and then the transition will happen.

 

                                             iii.     PYL will have a spring season.  George is stepping down.

 

b.     Girl’s Report – James Klass

 

                                               i.     Last meeting went over new rules for 2014 season.  Not many changes.

 

                                              ii.     If a girl signs up for an organization, she must get written permission to leave.  The problem is policing that policy.

 

                                             iii.     Laurys head count is in flux.  Lower level has better numbers than the upper levels at this time.

 

                                             iv.     Games start the last week of April 2014.

 

III.            Winterize Laurys AA

 

a.     Empty Snack Stand / Koren - Done

 

b.     Job Johnnys are gone, Dumpsters will stay, just not serviced anymore.

 

IV.            Moving forward for 2014 Laury’s AA Board Member Openings

 

a.     President – Mark Brown

 

b.     Vice President – Mack Ziegler

 

c.     Fundraiser Coordinator – Laela Ziegler, but wants help

 

d.     Field Manager - open

 

e.     Treasurer - open

 

f.      Baseball Rep -

 

g.     Softball Rep – James Klass (til September 2014)

 

h.     Snack Stand Manager – Barb Koren

 

V.              Registration

 

a.     Dates

 

                                               i.     Saturday, January 11th from 9 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.

 

                                              ii.     Saturday, January 25th from 12:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.

 

                                             iii.     Saturday, February 1st from 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.

 

b.     Fees – take new uniforms into account

 

                                               i.     Softball wants to change from shorts to pants (due to sliding)

 

c.     Fundraiser at registration?  Need to decide before Christmas for the printer’s sake.

 

d.     Update forms on website

 

e.     Parkland e-communications

 

f.      Copy forms for registration

 

g.     Registration volunteers

 

VI.            Miscellaneous

 

a.     Field Drainage – expensive and wrong season for grass seeding.  Don’t have an estimate yet from Bocci.  Left field is 3ft higher than the infield, which is why all the rainwater drains toward the snack stand and out to the road.  Best time to do it would probably be right after spring ball is over, and use the township fields for the fall.  Snack stand revenue would be lost for fall season.

 

b.     Parkland Baseball Booster Clinic / Vasilik – request to have a rep at spring signups.

 

c.     Remember lottery winners for registration & Yarnall’s Deli.

 

2013-09 Meeting Minutes

Laurys Athletic Association

 

Board Meeting

 

26 September 2013

 

 

 

 

 

I.               Treasurer’s Report

 

II.              Snackstand – Jamie

 

a.     Going well.  Working out, no issues to mention.

 

b.     One of the cords on the fryer needs to be repaired at the plug.

 

c.     Will let candy run out due to short shelf life, will re-order sparingly to minimize loss.

 

d.     Will be able to see what the snackstand actually brings in vs. food cost (some overlap from spring inventory)

 

III.            Fall Ball

 

a.     Boy’s Report – Bryan Landis

 

                                               i.     CWL status is questionable right now.  Many board members have resigned recently.

 

                                              ii.     Bryan will only be going to one league meeting from now on, due to time involved.  Someone else will need to step up to go to other league meetings.  Next CWL meeting is rules committee only.

 

                                             iii.     PYL – status is unknown.  Not sure if George Atiyeh will continue as president.

 

                                             iv.     Ron will e-mail Jake regarding having playoff games at Laurys.

 

b.     Girl’s Report – James Klass

 

                                               i.     No report. 

 

IV.            Field Prep – 9/28 & 10/11

 

a.     Work on lower infield – bad divets – ask someone who does grading to look at it and give opinion as to what should be done.  Get estimates.

 

b.     Smooth out terrain by snack stand – stones – Brian Edelman will level out area around snack stand.

 

c.     Clean up around main shed – Ron will do. 

 

d.     Store upper field scoreboard – take broken wood off it to store it.

 

V.              Knee-Hi Tournament – October 18, 19, 20 (on lower field and township fields)

 

a.     Volunteers – field prep & snack stand (ask for volunteers from fall ball parents)

 

b.     Game Schedule – Matt will get schedule of games to Ron ASAP.

 

c.     Tournament Fundraisers  (50/50, bake sale, etc.)

 

VI.            Miscellaneous

 

a.     Recycling – going ok.  Got a smaller dumpster.

 

b.     35 & over softball

 

 

 

Next Meeting – Thursday, October 17th @ 8:00 p.m.

 

2013-07 Meeting Minutes

Laurys Athletic Association

 

Board Meeting

 

18 July 2013

 

 

 

 

 

I.               Fall Ball – Coaches, Levels, Leagues, Registrations – majors (7), knee-hi (13), 3-4 knee-hi that can move up to majors, midget (10), biddy (7)

 

a.     Boy’s Report – Bryan Landis  - Allen Twp - deadline 7/14, roster mtg 7/28.

 

                                               i.     Ron will contact Schnecksville to see if we can get enough for biddy team.

 

b.     Girl’s Report – James Klass

 

                                               i.     All teams need to be entered into parkland league on 7/21.  All coaches need to attend.  Laurys needs a representative at meeting. Prep and 12U team, 14U (4) 10U (1), starts weekend after Labor Day, 8 games, Saturdays and Sundays only.

 

II.              Field Prep

 

a.     Work on lower infield – need to fix swale from upper field to road between field and walking path and from equipment shed to parking lot.  At least a days’ work to complete.  Matt to spray paint on grass where swales should be.  Kris Koren & Brian Edelman can start digging next week - Saturday, July 27th.

 

b.     Smooth out terrain by snack stand and remove dirt pile

 

c.     Take down signage

 

d.     Put up upper field scoreboard

 

III.            Treasurer’s Report – Balance $10,248.66 in account

 

IV.            Snack Stand manager need for Fall Ball – Jamie Edelman volunteered

 

V.              Volunteers needed:

 

a.     Fundraising coordinating

 

b.     Equipment Manager

 

c.     Field Maintenance

 

VI.            2014 Laurys AA Board Member Openings

 

a.     President

 

b.     Treasurer

 

VII.           Issues

 

VIII.         Miscellaneous

 

a.     Recycling

 

b.     Batting Facility

 

c.     Update By-Laws

 

d.     Lehigh Valley League – Baseball?

 

 

 

Next Meeting – Thursday, September 19th @ 8:00 p.m.

 

2013-06 Meeting Minutes

Laurys Athletic Association

Board Meeting

20 June 2013

 

 

I.               Treasurer’s Report – Balance $10,500

a.     Parkland League All-Star Games - $500+ to Laurys AA

b.     Background refund checks available at July meeting

c.     Money to be turned in from coaches yet.

II.              Spring 2013 – issues, concerns, how did the season go?

a.     Snack stand surplus / umpire $

b.     Turn in equipment (24 balls in a box/bucket), keys

III.            Boys Report – Bryan Landis

a.     No info rec’d on Allen Township League

b.     PYL

IV.            Girls Report – James Klass

a.     $30 registration fee

b.     Coaches meeting 7/21

c.     Rough counts needed prior to that date

d.     Parkland League rules

V.              Fall Ball – Coaches, Levels, Leagues

VI.            Snack Stand Manager needed for the fall ball – Jamie will consider. Talk to Barb Koren.

VII.           Immediate Board Member Openings/Volunteers needed:

a.     Fundraising Coordinator

b.     Equipment Manager

c.     Field Maintenance

VIII.         2014 Laurys AA Board Member Openings

a.     President

b.     Treasurer

c.     Softball Rep. needed for Fall 2014

IX.            Miscellaneous

a.     Equipment – took a beating this season.  Will replace over the winter.

b.     Recycling – $25 mo. rental + pick up fee.  Recycling containers needed at each field.  Jamie will check with township for smaller containers.

c.     Brosky Wiffle Bowl – Aug. 3

d.     Batting Facility – no new info at this time.

e.     Update By-Laws – need provision regarding LVL vs. rec?  Further discussion at July meeting.

f.      Lehigh Valley League – baseball

 

Next Meeting – Thursday, July 18th @ 8:00 p.m.

2013-04 Meeting Minutes

Laurys Athletic Association

Board Meeting

18 April 2013

 

 

I.               Board Members for 2013:

a.     President – Ron Ondrejca

b.     Vice President – Mark Brown

c.     Baseball Coordinator – Bryan Landis

d.     Softball Coordinator – James Klass

e.     Treasurer – Jen Bond

f.      Secretary – Jamie Edelman

g.     Snack Stand Manager – Barb Koren

h.     Field Assignor – Ron Hunsicker

i.       Equipment Manager – OPEN

j.       Fundraising Coordinator – PENDING

II.              Treasurer’s Report – $6904.70 + pending deposits should bring us close to $10K

III.            Field Maintenance

a.     Great Job with Clean Up Day!

b.     Upper Field Dugouts – Roof needs replacing

c.     Get the Fields Rolled

                                               i.     Matt will call Davey Herman

                                              ii.     Ron will call N. Whitehall Township

                                             iii.     Bryan will call Livengood again (called 2x so far)

d.     Flagpole needs replacing due to wind damage.  Ron will replace.

e.     Hang New Sign – Center Field Fence

IV.            Picture Day (Pittman) – Friday, May 3rd from 6-8 p.m. outside.

a.     Makeup Day for Knee-Hi and Midget (possibly)

V.              Coaches

a.     Mandatory Background Checks – link on website – www.laurysaa.com

b.     No one will be reimbursed until Ron has all background checks.

c.     Fundraising

                                               i.     Hoagie Sale – order forms are in snack stand.

1.      Orders due by April 29th.

2.     Pick-up day – Wednesday, May 8th at 5:00 p.m.

                                              ii.     3rd – Ask potential new Fundraising Coordinator for ideas

d.     Snack Stand / Umpire Money – FILL OUT THE FORM AFTER EVERY GAME!!

e.     Snack Stand Clean-Up:  Head coach is responsible to check the snack stand after every game.

f.      Check out dugouts, both home and away.

g.     Empty trash cans – Jamie will call about recycling.

h.     Drag Field & Check Tractor (oil and gas)

VI.            Other Events at Laurys:

a.     July 17th – 21st - Parking Lots Will be Occupied by Hindu Temple Event

b.     Brosky WIffleBowl – 1st week of August

VII.           Future endeavors

a.     Kris Koren - Pole Building for indoor pitching and hitting practice – 30’ x80’ x 15’ building - $25K; concrete $10K; netting for 3 lanes of pitching $3500 (DIY); used astroturf $0.99 per sq. ft.  Electric would be the big issue regarding cost.  No $ at state level or township level.  Spoke with bank – funding not an issue because we own the property.  Paperwork would be needed, appraisal, 15 yr. loan at 4.75%.  To generate funding we would do winter memberships.  Schedule coordination would need to be done.  Voted in favor of further investigation into what would be involved, both costs and potential obstacles.

b.  Ron - look into who owns the cell tower on the property.

VIII.         Boys Report – Bryan Landis – equipment in shed.

IX.            Girls Report – James Klass 

 

Next Meeting – Thursday, May 16th @ 8:00 p.m.

Laurys Athletic Association

Board Meeting

21 March 2013

 

 

I.               Board Members for 2013:

a.     President – Ron Ondrejca

b.     Vice President – Mark Brown

c.     Baseball Coordinator – Bryan Landis

d.     Softball Coordinator – James Klass

e.     Treasurer – Jen Bond

f.      Secretary – Jamie Edelman

g.     Snack Stand Manager – Barb Koren

h.     Field Assignor – Ron Hunsicker

i.       Field Maintenance – Jay Trauger

j.       Fundraising Coordinator - OPEN

II.              Treasurer’s Report – No Report

III.            Field Clean Up Day – Saturday, March 23rd @ 9:00 a.m. (rain date, 3/24 from 1-5 p.m.)  Mark Brown in charge.

a.     Leaves/Branches

b.     Upper Field Signs

c.     Check Out the Fields

d.     Batting Cage Net – Goldman/Ondrejca

e.     Field Marking Lime

f.      Put in Bases / Inspect Pegs (Township bases are not in)

g.     Snack Stand (Hot water will be turned on)

h.     Tractors

IV.            Picture Day (Pittman) – Friday, May 3rd from 6-8 p.m. outside.  If it rains it will be inside fire station.

V.              Coaches

a.     Mandatory Background Checks – link on website – www.laurysaa.com

b.     No one will be reimbursed until Ron has all background checks.

c.     Fundraising

                                               i.     April Lottery Tickets – must be in by 3/31/13.

                                              ii.     Hoagie Sale – order forms will be in snack stand.

1.      Orders due by April 29th.

2.     Pick-up day – Wednesday, May 8th at 5:00 p.m.

                                             iii.     June Lottery Tickets – must be in by 5/31/13.

d.     Snack Stand / Umpire Money – FILL OUT THE FORM AFTER EVERY GAME!!  If you need more money during the season, contact treasurer.  Contact information is on the website.  Surplus money can be turned in at meetings, if needed.

e.     Conduct – Hasn’t been an issue.   Above all, have fun.

f.      All practice schedules are up on the website.  Contact James Klass to let him know about extra practice times, batting cage, etc. to schedule.  Make-up games take precedence over practices.

VI.            Registration / Rosters

VII.           Boys Report – AB, GM, DE – Bryan Landis

VIII.         Girls Report – James Klass

IX.            Next Meeting – Thursday, April 18th @ 8:00 p.m.

2013-02 Minutes

Laurys Athletic Association

Board Meeting

February 21, 2013

 

      I.         2013 Board Members Needed:

a.     Vice President (takes care of insurance matters, takes over for President when absent, bridges gaps with other athletic organizations)  Mark Brown volunteered.

b.     Field Assignor – currently James Klass (wants to hand off, willing to train over the course of this year). Michael Moyer’s secretary and Ron Hunsburger volunteered.  Will speak with Ron.

c.      Snack Stand – Barb Koren

d.     Field Maintenance – Jay Trauger (will help)

    II.         Treasurer’s report: $18,841.75 ($12,478 brought in through registration)

  III.         Field Clean-up Day – Saturday, March 16th, from 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. – bring your rakes, trailers, etc.

a.     Leaves/Branches

b.     Upper Field Dugouts – too cold in March to put up the roofs

c.      Snack Stand

d.     Get Fields Rolled – Bryan has a contact and will handle (find out best time to do)

e.     Batting Cage Net

f.      Field Improvements

g.     Call All-Jays

   IV.         Coaches

a.     Mandatory Background checks – link on www.laurysaa.com - cost is $10, reimbursed by Laurys AA upon receipt of background check.  Anyone in the dugout must have a background check.

b.     Rules – any questions, ask – read both the by-laws and team specific rules – available on the appropriate websites.

c.      Fundraising

                                               i.     April lottery tickets – must be in by 3/31/13

                                              ii.     Hoagie Sale – orders due last week in April

                                            iii.     June Lottery – must be in by 5/31/13

     V.         Registration / Rosters

   VI.         Pittman Photography – Ron will call to schedule the date.

 VII.         Boys Report

VIII.         Girls Report

 

2013-01 Minutes

Laurys Athletic Association

Board Meeting

3 January 2013

 

 

I.               Treasurer’s Report - $7600 - $1600 (snack stand) = $6000 (approx.)

a.     Reminder that receipts are needed from all purchases

II.              Board Members needed:

a.     Vice President

b.     Field Assignor

c.     Fundraising Coordinator

III.            Baseball

a.     CWL report / meeting?  Website is not updated.  When is next meeting?

b.     Parkland League report - meeting 1/15 at Woodlawn

c.     ULMK (Majors) report - meeting 1/9 at Macungie Park – 2 teams this year

d.     Order uniform samples for registration – Ron will call for a sample of everything in each size

IV.            Softball

a.     Parkland League report - meeting 1/10 @ WEYC – rule changes finalized next week at meeting. Rough counts by Feb mtg. Final count by March mtg.  Last date for any changes to schedule 3/30/13.

b.     Order uniform samples for registration

V.              Field Maintenance

a.     Clean up Day – 3/16/13 (rain date 3/23).

VI.            Registration

a.     Saturday, January 12th, 9:00 am to noon

b.     Wednesday, January 23rd, 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.

c.     Saturday, February 2nd, Noon – 3:00 p.m.

                                               i.     Flyers to Ironton & on school websites.

                                              ii.     All board members and coaches are needed to help with registration.

VII.           Fundraising

a.     Additional

                                               i.     April – Lottery tickets ($40 mandatory fundraiser at registration)

                                              ii.     May – Hoagie Sale (coaches given forms at the start of season)

                                             iii.     June – Lottery tickets (optional - tickets handed out to coaches by May 1st).

VIII.         Miscellaneous / Open Discussion

a.     Next coaches meeting – Thursday, February 21st at 8:00 p.m.

b.     Combine boys and girls uniform orders to get a lower per piece price.  4 week lead time needed for uniforms.

c.     Lehigh Valley League – would like to build up the base rec league and get greater parent involvement and grow into having a travel team.  Increased tournament play opportunities may generate greater interest.  List of tournaments on Lehigh Valley website.  Can play CWL and LV tourneys.  Entrance fees are paid by parents.

d.     Picture day – a weekend day – A lot of opposition to Sunday.  Later on Saturday after games are over.

e.     Upper Field ok for Biddy teams?  Some complaints about it last year.  Mostly championship game vs. Egypt.  Biddy should play at lower field or township field.

f.      Fix 2nd base on the township field.  Home plate, pitcher’s mound and 2nd base not in a straight line!  Field should be squared off on clean up day.

g.     Kids playing age appropriate – several kids not going to t-ball but jumping to grasshopper.   Possibly 2 grasshopper teams this year.

h.     Uniforms – no names on uniforms next year, which will also end the uniform credit.  Inform parents this year at registration that the credit goes away next year.

i.       Question raised as to whether parents can buy uniforms for teams?  Nothing in by-laws prohibiting it. 

j.       Sink in snack stand needs a major cleaning.  To be done during spring clean up. 

k.     Reminder to teams that fryer oil needs to be changed more often!  Once or twice a season is not enough!!

 

2012-01 Minutes

2012-02 Minutes