Birthdates: 2004 & 2005
Seasons Offered: Spring & Fall
The 8U program builds on the 6U program and begins to transition the players from on-the-field coach involvement to complete player-only play. Safety remains our primary concern where an 11 inch Incrediball is used (a “softer” versioned softball). Teams are kept small, guaranteeing each child 100% playing time to minimize standing or sitting around. Additionally, the players will get more individual coaching time, focused on learning fundamentals like catching, throwing, batting, and base running. We also play a form of kid pitch/coach pitch, where kid-pitch is phased in over the course of the season with a maximum of two innings of kid pitch. There are no walks, no Tees, and players can strike out. There is also no base stealing. There is greater emphasis on defense where players will make force outs, catch balls in the air, and make throws to first base. There are in-house pitcher/catcher clinics available for the players and their parents to introduce the proper mechanics to best enable their success. Games are not scored and team win/loss records are not maintained.
The 2013 Bowie 8U All Star Tournament will be held in late-June at Blacksox Park. Crofton 8U will definitely be there! More information to come at a later date.
No Tryouts or Placements are necessary for this age group.
Spring Season: Cost $87 softball + $13 CAC Facility Fee (sport total = $100) plus $75 annual CAC Family fee
Spring Season Time Commitment:
• March thru Mid June
• Practices: Two Weekdays plus Saturday in Crofton, may change to 1 weeknight during season
• Games: Saturdays in Crofton, Bowie and Gambrills (GORC)
• Optional Pitching Clinics start in January
Fall Season: Cost $77
Fall Season Time Commitment:
• Labor Day through end of October
• Practices: Weekday and Frequency determined by coach in Crofton
• Games: Sundays at 1 pm or 3 pm; half played in Crofton, half played in Middle to Northern Anne Arundel County
• Bringing your own batting helmet is suggested for health and safety reasons, though not required.
• Glove – Recommend Jennie Finch Mizuno Glove with Cutouts. Ball must be big enough to easily be held inside the glove.
Spring Uniform: Jersey, shorts, socks and visor - Provided by CAC
Fall Uniform: Jersey and visor - Provided by CAC