Little League Baseball started in New Castle County in the late 1940's or early 1950's with one league, Newark Little League. The rapid growth necessitated splitting this area into two leagues (Newark National & Newark American) in 1952 or 1953.
Newark National LL (ages 9-12 only) played on county fields and school fields until 1965 when a lease was established between the Catholic Diocese of Wilmington and Newark National for the property on Possum Park road near Kirkwood highway.
A minor division started operation in 1968 with 4 teams of 20 players each which played on the Holy Angels softball field on Possum Park Road. Around the same time, a Senior division (ages 13-15) began and played at the Holy Angels baseball field below their church.
As the league grew, it became necessary to find additional fields. Newark National leased a parcel of land on Red Mill Road and built a Senior field, 2 minor fields and 1 T-ball field. In the 1980's the player total surpassed 600. The lease expired in 1990 and Newark National did not have the funds to purchase the property. It was then that a lease was established between Newark National Little League and New Castle County to lease the property across from Gallaher Elementary School.
Today Newark National continues to serve the Newark community with a great baseball program. Each year close to 300 kids, ages 4-16, play for Newark National. This includes Spring ball, a Fall Ball program during the months of September and October, as well as many traveling and tournament teams. Both the location on Possum Park road and the Gallaher complex are still used today. Newark National prides itself on finding dedicated, high quality coaches and encouraging lots of parental involvement. We are a non-profit organization relying only on volunteers to run all aspects of our program.