Rules and Regulations
Definition of Purpose of SCYBL:
It is the express purpose of this organization, under the name of the “Stokes County Youth Basketball League” and/or the initials “SCYBL”, to provide for the youth of the King community and the surrounding area, an organized and properly supervised program for learning skills, and for actual game playing opportunity in the sport of basketball. It is further the organization’s intent to teach along with the fundamentals of the sport, good sportsmanship, and to foster academic achievement.
Note the Following “B’s of Basketball” (As adopted from the courtesy card issued by Washington State University, under the title: “Basketball is Fun!):
Be Courteous: To the teams, officials, and visitors.
Be Enthusiastic: By “rooting” for your team, NOT by “booing” opponents and/or officials.
Be Fair: Have confidence in the honesty and integrity of the officials; remember, they are neutral; you are partisan!
Be Cooperative: Don’t walk on the court; stay back from sidelines; don’t yell during free throws; don’t smoke in the gym.*
*This is a school rule.
Be A Good Fan: This is a game with a respected opponent, Not A Fight With A Bitter Enemy.
Game Related Rules:
1. Each team must present a starting line-up to the Official Scorer, at least (2) minutes prior to the scheduled starting time of each game they are scheduled to play. Failure to do so may result in a one-shot technical foul.
2. 3rd thru 6th grade boys and 4th thru 6th grade girl’s games will have (4) four six-minute quarters. All others will have (4) four seven-minute quarters. Each team will be given a minimum of (3) three minutes to warm up before the game and (3) three minutes at half time.
3. Foul shots will be shot from 12 ½ feet in the 3rd and 6th grade boys and 3rd and 6th grade girl’s divisions, and from 15 feet in the other divisions.
• Modifications Beginning 2012-2013 Season for 3-4 Boys & 3-6 Girls Divisions
• Each player present will shoot foul shots at the beginning of the 1st and 2nd half. These points will count toward team score.
• There will be no pressing except during the last three minutes of each half. If you are winning by more than 15 points you cannot press at any time.
• Defense will start at the three point line. It is recommended that each player have the opportunity to bring the ball up the court during each game.
4. Any game is subject to starting up to (10) ten minutes prior to game time, provided both coaches agree.
5. A team will play when as few as four players are present at scheduled game time: But No Fewer Than Four Can Constitute A Team. If less than four players are present at game time, then the game will automatically be declared forfeit.
6. Use of obscene language, verbally or otherwise will result in suspension from the game.
7. All technical fouls will be the same as the high school rulebook states.
8. The following technical will be a team technical:
a. Failure to have line up sheet in to the Official Scorers table on time.
b. Defensive player crossing the out of bounds line while guarding a player throwing the ball in. (1st offense is a warning and 2nd is a technical)
c. Too many players on the court.
d. Illegal substitution.
9. No team shall press in the backcourt after having gained a (20) twenty point lead, without being assessed a (2) two shot technical foul.
10. A team bench shall consist of: Players, Head Coach, Assistant Coach, and a Scorekeeper, if the team has one. Division managers must maintain control of team benches.
11. No unauthorized personnel shall sit or stand around or near a team bench. Violation of this rule will result in a technical foul on the head coach; and will be repeated if necessary. See rule #10.
12. (2) Two technical fouls in (1) game, not including the exception in rule #8, assessed to a player or coach Will Automatically Result In That Player or Coach Being Ejected From The Game. (2) Two ejections of the same player, coach, assistant coach, or scorekeeper in one season (including tournaments) will result in a hearing before the Board of Directors.
13. Suspensions, if any are necessary, except those specifically spelled out in these rules, will be at the discretion of the Board of Directors.
*Note: Ejection of a coach, assistant coach, scorekeeper, or player from a game, will bring an Automatic (1) one game suspension (at the earliest date). If in a tournament game, the suspension will be the first game following season.
a. Coaches, assistant coaches, an scorekeeper will not participate in practice and the next game, but will be allowed to sit in the stands only at the game.
b. Players who are suspended will not play in the following game, but must sit on the bench during that game (not in uniform). The suspended player must sit on bench during an entire game before he/she is eligible to play in any future games.
14. NO Intentional Fouls Will Be Allowed From A Team That Is In The Lead Of The Game. If an intentional foul is spotted, and deemed by the officials as intentional, a (2) two shot technical foul will be assessed.
15. Each player must play any (2) two complete quarters, from the beginning of the quarter to the end of the quarter, of every game, unless he/she is sick or injured.
Penalty For Violation:
Whether the team wins or loses the matter will be brought before the Division Manager and Commissioner who will decide each contested game on an individual basis. The penalty(s) will be one or more of the following:
a. A reprimand for the guilty coach.
b. The misplayed player making up lost playing time.
c. Coach may appeal to board within 24 hours in writing.(In
tournament play an appeal must be made immediately to all board
officers and the division manager.)
Each Division Manager Will Be Responsible For Appointing A Board Member To Check For Violation Of The Playing Rule!
16. Players Must be played two Full quarters. Does not apply to
tournament play. Player only has to play one quarter of the
17. Only the referee’s whistle can stop the clock. The Official Timekeeper has no authority to stop the clock without the referee’s permission.
18. In the event of Bad Weather, coaches will be notified Only If Games Are Postponed. The coaches are responsible for notifying their players of this information. If schools are out on a weekday because of bad weather, no games or practices will be held on that day. Weekend games played if possible.
19. No one is to be on the basketball floor at any time, during or between games, except for those teams, coaches, and officials involved in the game. Coaches should help with the enforcement of this rule.
20. No team will be allowed more than (1) one practice time per week. This is their scheduled SCYBL time at their assigned gym. If school is out or cancelled and regular practice time is not available, the coach can practice (1) one hour only at another gym of their choice with the approval of the division manager. Do not Use SCYBL name to get the gym. No Basketballs in gym except for league balls on game days.
a. Reprimand for the coach.
b. Second offense: a haring before the board. (Could call for dismissal of the coach.)
21. High school rules will be used.
22. Players must wear current season SCYBL shirt while participating in SCYBL sanctioned games. Players will be allowed to participate in only ONE game per season without having your current year SCYBL shirt. After this ONE game, players will not be allowed to participate in any SCYBL sanctioned games without a current season SCYBL shirt. **Note** If current season SCYBL shirt has been misplaced, players will be responsible for purchasing a new SCYBL shirt. .
1. Practice at least once a week for (1) hour.
2. Be present at as many games and practices as possible (hopefully all of them) or have a suitable assistant there. NOTE: After (2) two absences an inquiry will be made.
3. Help supervise the conduct of player and spectators at games.
4. Be responsible for your own players.
5. Stress the rules and ethics to the players and parents.
6. Abide by the league rules and ethics yourself.
7. Try to make Every Player feel important to the team.
8. A suggestion only: Plan outings with your team when and if possible.
9. Help in fund raising events.
10. Support the decisions of the President, Vice-President, Commissioner and the Board of Directors.
11. Remind your team that the teams are responsible for helping pick up trash after their game. Encourage players and their parents to help out. * See gym rules.
12. Remind, and keep reminding, your players that they are not to be around the gym at any practice times except their own, unless they have been specifically invited by a league official.
13. All coaches of the last game are responsible to stay after the game to help clean the gym and doors are to be locked. Result in not doing duties – automatic (2) two points and the basketball out of bounds for the opponents of the next scheduled game.
14. No basketballs should be in the gym on game day unless used by coaches.
A. Shall Refrain From:
1. Using indecent language.
2. Drinking or being under the influence of alcohol, or use of drugs, or being under their influence, while around the players. At Any Time.
3. Missing a game without notifying the division manager of the absence Prior to the game day. (when possible)
4. Pulling his/her team off the playing floor during a game. (Try to keep your cool at all times!)
5. Violating the playing time rule.
Appoint someone to keep a record of the player’s time on the court during a game, as a precautionary measure on the coach’s part. This is to use in the event you are questioned about one of your player’s not playing the required amount of time. Note: The scorekeeper’s book is the official book.
6. Being assessed with excessive technical fouls
Remember: (2) Two technical fouls in (1) game Will result in ejection from the game and the person must leave the gym area. (2) ejections may result in release from the league. (not automatic) *See Rule #12 & 13 Game Related Rules.
7. Encouraging rough play.
8. Reckless driving while players are in the car.
B. Coaches should let players and their parents or guardian know approximately when practice will begin and end.
A. Are Expected To:
1. Play hard with desire and enthusiasm.
2. Strive to win, but win or lose, be a good sport.
3. Take care of the league’s equipment.
4. Take care of all school property, including the building, or buildings and their surroundings.
5. Stay Inside The Gym Until You Are Ready To Leave For Home.
6. Respect coaches, referees, and league officials.
7. Refrain from using unacceptable language.
8. Do Not Smoke or use bad habits while you are around your team.
9. Stay out of the parking lot, away from the buses. Anyone found causing damage to school property will be barred from SCYBL games.
A. Are Expected To:
1. Act mature and orderly
2. Encourage and not humiliate players and coaches on or off the court.
3. Not Harass The Referees. This could result in a technical foul on the appropriate team. If the harassment is considered great enough by the referee.
4. Refrain from going on the court while a game is in progress, unless a player is injured, and the coach calls you onto the court.
Penalties For The Violation Of The Afore Mentioned Ethics:
1. Coaches: Ethic A could result in dismissal of the coach.
2. Players: Ethic 3 & 4 (2) game suspension suspension. Second offense: (1) one year suspension.
ANY VIOLATION LISTED BELOW BY A COACH AND/OR TEAM MAY RESULT IN LOSS OF PRACTICE:
1. Staying on the court past time for a scheduled practice to end.
2. Leaving the gym without helping sweep and straighten up.
3. Leaving the door unlocked or leaving the lights on in the gym.
4. Keep off the stages at the schools.
5. Portable goals at any gym are not to be used.
6. Keep kids inside the gym at all times.
7. Stay Away From The Buses.
8. At no time should you leave the gym unattended.
9. At no time should a coach leave players unsupervised.
10. No smoking in the school building or gym.
11. At the end of your practice time if the other teams haven’t arrived for practice you must immediately clean the floors, turn off the lights and lock all doors. (Notify the commissioner immediately if this happens.)
Sign Up Rules Amendment:
All youth in SCYBL must have a parent/guardian sign a registration/waiver form before they are eligible to participate in any SCYBL functions.
No one will be placed on the waiting list after midway through the season.
All players must be attending school or home school to participate in SCYBL.
Board of Directors,
The afore mentioned will not be responsible for the loss of any personal goods of the players, coaches, and/or fan.