If you're interested in umpiring, we'd like to hear from you. We're always seeking experienced umpires, as well as entry level candidates.
If you're interested, click on "UMPIRE APPLICATION" at right, to submit an application and we'll be in contact with you.
Who: All returning MBI Umpires and all new applicants. (Everyone)
On-Field Training Sessions
Who: Mandatory for all new applicants and for returning MBI umpires whose first year to umpire was 2017
Sunday March 11 @ 2 PM
Individuals who have NOT previously umpired in MBI are welcome to attend these sessions. We will have a limited number of new umpire slots available for the Spring season. New applicants MUST attend all meetings, plus the on-field training in order to be considered for assignment to games this season.
All Umpire applicants age 18 and older (both new and returnees) will be required to submit a Background Check form. The background check form must be submitted at Session 1 or 2 in order to be considered eligible for umpiring in MBI. (There is no fee for background checks this year)
Additional questions regarding umpiring in MBI should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here for MBI Umpire Code of Ethics
The use of ANY tobacco product is strictly prohibited on all MBI fields. This applies to umpires, coaches and players.
In T-Ball & Coach-Pitch, the game's official start time shall be when the home team takes the field for the 1st half of the 1st inning.
Always inform offical scorekeeper and both managers when the game clock starts.
MBI Umpire Training Booklet (Fairly large Document - 6.5 MB)
In order to maximize playing time, and decrease "down time" during games, the following game procedures will apply to all MBI league games:
1. There will be NO pre-game warmups permitted on the infield area. All warmups will take place in the outfield area. This will eliminate the possibility that one team might get more infield warmup time than the other. Once the umpires have arrived they will conduct the pre-game managers meeting at home plate, then they will instruct the home team to take the field. For 9U and above, the home team pitcher may then take the mound and begin his/her warmup pitches. The first warmup pitch is the official game start time. The visiting team should have their first batter ready to enter the batter's box immediately upon completion of the pitcher's warmup pitches.. In T-Ball and Coach-Pitch games, the umpire will announce the start of the game.
2. New pitchers (starting pitchers and relievers) will be allowed 8 warmup pitches from the mound upon entering the game. Between innings, a pitchers who pitched the previous inning will be allowed 5 warmup pitches from the mound.
3. When games are running late, teams playing next should be prepared to start ASAP after the prior game ends. (Keep in mind that the umpires do get a short break between games to change gear)
4. On MISD school nights, no late game (last game of the night on a given field) shall begin play if the game which precedes it ends AFTER 8:45 PM. In this case, the late game would be postponed and rescheduled. This policy is in place to ensure that the last game of the night on a given field does not extend beyond a reasonable hour. (This item does not apply to the 15U-18U leagues).
5. After each game, teams and fans should clean up after themselves, both in the dugout, and the spectator areas.
Click this link to jump to Official Major League Baseball Rules:
Link to MLB Rules
UMPIRE DRESS CODE:
The umpire shall wear a black, navy blue or light blue standard umpire shirt. All MBI umpires must have, at a minimum, a black umpire shirt This shirt shall be tucked into the umpire’s pants. Each umpire shall wear a uniform number on the right sleeve of the shirt. Number color as follows:
Black Shirt: 4" White Numbers
Dark Blue Shirt: 4" Red Numbers
Light Blue Shirt: 4" Navy Numbers
Umpires shirt color should always match that of their on-field partner(s).
The umpire shall wear gray umpire slacks. No shorts or denim permitted at any age level.
Blue or Black Belt shall be worn.
The hat shall be a standard umpire hat (MBI), worn with the bill of the hat to the front. BBI hats will not be permitted to be worn while calling MBI games.
No White Tennis Shoes
No tobacco use of any kind on the field.
No visible piercings allowed
Necklaces must be tucked inside shirt
At levels where protective equipment is to be worn; all equipment shall be worn under the umpire’s shirt or pants as appropriate. The umpire calling balls and strikes behind the plate in Mustang level games or above shall wear all protective gear (mask, chest protector, shin guards and personal protective equipment) necessary to protect themselves.
All umpires must have a Ball/Strike Counter and a Stop Watch, to track the length of the game.
Per City of Mesquite Parks & Rec Dept, ALL Umpire Applicants (regardless of age) must submit a completed background check form, plus $5 cash to MBI.