Cape Atlantic Junior League
Fourth Grade League Rules
1. Basket Height: 9 feet
2. Ball Size: 28.5
3. Length of Game: 4 Six-Minute Quarters. There will be a one-minute break between quarters and a five-minute half time.
4. Time Outs – Four time outs per game are permitted. Two per half.
5. In the event of a tie score at the end of regulation, a two-minute overtime period will be played.
6. Free Throws – Free throws will be shot from a foul line fourteen feet from the basket. Shooters may cross the line on a follow-thru. However, the shooter may not be the first player to touch the ball after the shot has hit the rim.
7. Defense – In the frontcourt, the defending team must remain in the three-point arc until the offensive team cross half court. No backcourt defense may be played except for the last two minutes of the game (See full court pressing below). After a team has established control of the ball in its back court (after a turnover, on a rebound, and on any throw-in in the back court) the defensive team must drop back to the defensive area without applying any defensive pressure. After the offense has moved the ball over half court line they have 5 seconds to move the ball (Referees will use discretion in interpreting the 5 second count, as its intent is to prevent stalling by the offense).
8. Full Court Pressing – Full court defense is allowed only during the last two minutes of the game provided the pressing team does not have a lead of 10 points or greater.
9. Enforcement of Specific Rules – Calling violations (e.g. traveling, double dribble, 5 seconds) will be at the discretion of the referee and the enforcement of violations will become stricter as the weeks progress. Obvious violations such as running down the court without dribbling will always be enforced.