Safety Rules and Procedures
- Responsiblity for safety procedures should be that of an adult member of JCYS.
- Arrangements should be made in advance of all games and practices for emergency medical services.
- Managers, coaches and umpires should have some training in first-aid. First-Aid Kit should be available at the
- No games or practice should be held when weather or field conditions are not good, particularly when lighting is
- Play area should be inspected frequently for holes, damage, glass and other foreign objects.
- Dugouts and bat racks should be positioned behind screens.
- Only players, managers, coaches and umpires are permitted on the playing field during play and practice
- Responsibility for keeping bats and loose equipment off the field of play should be that of a regular player
assingned for this purpose.
- Procedure should be established for retrieving foul balls batted out of the playing area.
- During practice sessions and games, all players should be alert and watching the batter on each pitch.
- During warm up drills, players should be spaced so that no one is endangered by errant balls.
- Equipment should be inspected regularly. Make sure it fits properly.
- Pitching machines must be in good working order(including extension cords and outlets, etc.) and must be operated
only by adult managers and coaches.
- Batters must wear protective NOCSAE helmets during practice, as well as during games.
- Catchers must wear catcher's helmet (with face mask and throat guard), chest protecter and shin guards. Male
catchers must wear long-model chest protector (divisions below Senior Boys league), protective supporter and cup at
- Except when runner is returning to a base, head first slides are not permitted. This applies to all divisions
except for Senior Boys league.
- During sliding practice bases should not be strapped down.
- At no time should "horse play" be permitted on the playing field.
- Parents of players who wear glasses should be encouraged to provide "Safety Glasses".
- Players must not wear watches, rings, pins, jewlry or other metallic items.
- Catchers must wear catcher's helmet, face mask and throat guard in warming up pitchers. This applies between
innings and in bull pen practice. Skull caps are not permitted.
- Batting/catcher's helmets should not be painted unless approved by the manufacturer.
- Regulations prohibit on-deck batters. This means no player should handle a bat, even while in an enclosure, until
it is his/her time to bat. This applies to all leagues except Senior Boys/Girls league.
- Players who are ejected, ill or injured should remain under supervision until released to the parent or guardian.
- Players are not to climb protective fences or backstop.
- Players are not to open or close the metal equipment boxes. They are not to climb or stand on the equipment boxes.
||Jesse A. Collyer Jr. Youth Sports Leagues
|| Administration Login