CCLC plays under the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) rules. If you are interested you can look at some of the typical rules at the US Lacrosse Website. The Southeastern Pennsylvania Youth Lacrosse Association, SEPYLA, the organization we play in, has some additional rules. They can be found at SEPYLA Rules. Please take a look at the rules to understand the game.
US Lacrosse Rules
1st thru 4th Grade Game Rules
1st - 4th Grade Intramural Play
- All players must wear mouth guards and athletic cups.
- 1st & 2nd Grade: 20 minute running halves, no horns, no time-outs
3rd & 4th Grade: 25 minute running halves, no horns, no time-outs
- Before a shot can be taken, two passes must be attempted on the offensive half of the field without a change of possession. Three passes without a goalie. Referee will yell the ball is “hot” to indicate the 2 pass requirement has been met and a scoring attempt can be made.
- No one-handed stick checks or slashing (out of control or unnecessary stick check that is not aimed at the opponents stick)
- No body checks, only incidental contact
- In the event of a personal foul (slash, one handed stick check, illegal body check, etc.) the other team is awarded possession and the infracting player goes to the sideline and is replaced with another player. In repeated offense situations the referee on the field has discretion as to how long the player must sit on the sideline, even if for the remainder of the game. Assuming it is not a repeat offense the player is free to resume play at the next available shift.
- 1st & 2nd Grade: No score keeping. Every game ends in a tie! Coaches - Please deemphasize the score at this level!
3rd & 4th Grade: Score should be kept. Ties are permissible as we can seek a rematch later in the season.
- Advancement/stalling rules do not apply at this level
- 1st & 2nd Grade: Teams line up 7 per side (includes a goalie). Everyone plays each position via a 2 - 2 - 2 rotation from Defense to Middie to Attack. Substitutions go from Defense to Middie to Attack to off the field – No exceptions.
3rd & 4th Grade: Teams line up 8 per side (includes a goalie). Everyone plays each position via a 2 - 3 - 2 rotation, substitutions as appropriate.
- Mercy rule is automatic free clear for team down 4 or more goals – Can be waived by trailing coach. Consider escalating catch requirement for leading team.
- Offsides - three players back on defense including the goalie, two on offense. Loosely called at 1st & 2nd grade. Results in change of possession.
- Goalies must change at the half, everyone is encouraged to try goalie for a half during the season.
- Stick length must be 36"-42" (no long poles allowed)
- Coaches are not permitted to yell at other coaches, referees, or players or they will be asked to leave the field. Positive reinforcement is required.
- Teams must provide players to the other team in a situation where a team cannot field a full team or needs subs to compete in the game. Players are interchangeable amongst teams.
- Please seek one of the directors if a questionable situation were to arise at any time.
- At least one Director must be on-site at all times, not coaching, and available during all sessions for consultation and to handle any issues that should arise in conjunction with the program.
- All parents and coaches will refrain from yelling and/or directing negative or derogatory comments toward coaches, officials and players. Any parent/coach that exhibits behavior contrary to the philosophy of our program will be asked to leave the facility immediately.
- Only in exceptional circumstances will players below 3rd grade be permitted to participate in the 3/4 grade program. In such cases, the Directors of the In-House program from each club must approve of any "playing up" situation
||Crooked Crosse Lacrosse Club