2013 Code of Ethics(.pdf format)
Parents’ Code of Ethics Pledge
I hereby pledge to provide positive support, care, and encouragement for my child participating In youth sports by following this Parents’ Code of Ethics Pledge.
· Iwill encourage good sportsmanship by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, and officials at every game, practice, or other youth sports event.
· I will place the emotional and physical well-being of my child ahead of any personal desire to win.
· Iwill insist that my child play in a safe and healthy environment.
· I will provide support for coaches and officials working with my child to provide a positive, enjoyable experience for all.
· I will demand a drug, alcohol, and tobacco free sports environment for my child and agree to assist by refraining from their use at all youth sports events.
· Iwill remember that the game is for children and not for adults.
· Iwill do my best to make youth sports fun for my child.
· Iwill ask my child to treat other players, coaches, fans, and officials with respect regardless of race, sex, creed, or ability.
· I will promise to help my child enjoy the youth sports experience within my personal constraints by assisting with coaching, being a respectful fan, providing transportation, or whatever I am capable of doing.
· Iwill require that my child’s coach be trained in responsibilities of being a youth sports coach and that the coach upholds the NYSCA Coaches’ Code of Ethics.
· I will read the NYSCA National Standards for Youth Sports and do everything in my power to assist all youth sports organizations to implement and enforce them.
Players’ Code of Ethics Pledge
I hereby pledge to provide a positive attitude and be responsible for my participation in Youth Sports by following this Players’ Code of Ethics.
· I will encourage good sportsmanship from fellow players, coaches, officials, and parents at every game and practice.
· I will attend every practice and game that is reasonably possible and notify my coach if I cannot.
· I will expect to receive a fair and equal amount of playing time.
· I will do my very best to listen and learn from my coaches.
· I will treat my coaches with respect regardless of race, sex, creed, or abilities and I will expect to be treated accordingly.
· I deserve to have fun during my sports experience and will alert parents or coaches if it stops being FUN!
· I deserve to play in an alcohol, tobacco, and drug free environment and expect adults to respect that wish.
· I will encourage my parents to be involved with my team in some capacity because it’s important to me.
· I will do my very best in school.
· I will remember that sports are an opportunity to learn and have fun.
Coaches Code of Ethics Pledge
I hereby pledge to provide a positive attitude and be responsible for my participation in Youth Sports by following this Coaches Code of Ethics.
· I hereby pledge to live up to my certification as a NYSCA Coach by following the NYSCA
· I will place the emotional and physical well being of my players ahead of a personal desire to win.
· I will treat each player as an individual, remembering the large range of emotional and physical development for the same age group.
· I will do my best to provide a safe playing situation for my players.
· I will do my best to organize practices that are fun and challenging for all my players.
· I will lead by example in demonstrating fair play and sportsmanship to all my players.
· I will provide a sports environment for my team that is free of drugs, tobacco, and alcohol, and I will refrain from their use at all youth sports events.
· I will be knowledgeable in the rules of each sport that I coach, and I will teach these rules to my players.
· I will use those coaching techniques appropriate for all of the skills that I teach.
· I will remember that I am a youth sports coach, and that the game is for children and not adults.
· In the interest of player safety, I agree to a background check.
Protocol for Suspension and Forfeits
(Due to poor sportsmanship)
- Acts of poor sportsmanship will not be tolerated. Behavior that demonstrates poor sportsmanship by any coach, player, or fan will result in a warning to the “offending” head coach and his or her team. The head coach is responsible for controlling the behavior of his or her fans, players, and assistant coaches.
- Further, behavior that is deemed to be poor sportsmanship at any time thereafter during any remaining game for the remainder of the season by a coach, player, or fan of the same team will result in a permanent suspension of the offending coach (or head coach if the offense is from a player or fan), forfeiture of that game, and possible permanent removal of the offending parent or player for the season. No further warnings will be given.
- Lastly, following the implementation of point number 3, any conduct deemed to be poor sportsmanship thereafter by a coach, player, or fan of the offending team will result in the forfeit of all remaining games by the offending team for the remainder of the season, and the suspension of all coaches for the remainder of the season. Additionally, the suspended coaches will not be allowed to coach or be associated with any team in the Iowa City Girls’ softball leagues for an additional year.
- Forfeiting games will NOT result in any refunds of fees to players or team.
Acts of poor sportsmanship are determined solely by the umpires. They may include but are not limited to cursing, yelling at the umpire, slanderous or threatening remarks aimed at umpires, coaches, or players, and disorderly conduct.