Lightning Lacrosse is committed to the ideals of good sportsmanship that underlie all of the written policies of our program, our league and our sport. We are determined that every person involved in our program, including players, coaches, parents and spectators, respect this commitment by honoring our policies at all times.
When anyone fails to honor these policies or strays from the spirit of good sportsmanship, Lightning Lacrosse encourages the members our community to get involved to prevent future occurrences. Any corrective steps, however, must be taken with due respect for our policies, the persons involved and the game itself.
We recognize that some situations cannot be resolved informally. With the goal of resolving them quickly, effectively and fairly, Lightning Lacrosse establishes this “Sportsmanship Committee.”
Parents with concerns about specific team related issues are asked to first discuss the matter with their child's coach. Please make arrangements to have the discussion at a time convenient for the coach. The Lightning Board recommends in person meetings or telephone conversations as the primary way to come to a resolution. If the matter cannot be resolved after discussing it with the coaching staff please follow the procedures for lodging a complaint.
- The Lightning Lacrosse President is the permanent chair of the committee.
- In its discretion, the chair may add members to, or remove members from, the committee on an ad hoc basis.
- A committee member must abstain from the review of a complaint if the member has a meaningful personal interest in the disposition of the complaint.
- Any person may submit a complaint for any act by a person associated with Lightning Lacrosse, even if the actor is a mere spectator.
- The complaint may be submitted at any time.
- Complaints must include the following: the name of the complainant, the names of actors and witnesses, the time and place, the nature of the conduct and the policies violated. The complaint may also include a suggested resolution.
- Complaints may be submitted to any member of the Sportsmanship Committee or to any officer or director of Lightning Lacrosse.
- In the interest of the safety of our players, any member of the committee may suspend a person involved in the complaint from Lightning Lacrosse activities while the complaint disposition is pending.
- The committee will schedule promptly a meeting to consider the complaint and give effective notice to all parties involved.
- Any person may attend the meeting.
- Any person may offer testimony, a written statement or other evidence.
- The committee will take reasonable steps to ensure that all relevant facts are produced and that the meeting is conducted fairly, politely and efficiently.
- The committee will consider the suggested resolution, if any. The committee may craft alternate resolutions.
- The committee may choose to ban persons from future Lightning Lacrosse events, in accordance with New Jersey P.L. 2002, Chapter 74.
- A simple majority of the committee is needed to approve the resolution.
- The committee will distribute promptly a written determination of the complaint that includes a summary of its findings and the specifics of the resolution approved, if any.
To lodge a complaint with the Sportsmanship Committee please send an email to CoryEaster@comcast.net