Little League Tournament...what happened after?
7-8 Baseball ends at the District level, so our DLL team finished on top.
9-10 Baseball goes to State level. Our guys got eliminated at Sectional 2, the eventual winner of Section 2 was Midway. Midway made it to the finals of the Texas West state tournament losing to McAllister Park out of San Antonio.
11-12 Baseball goes to LLWS. North Garland won District 8. At sectionals, they were eliminated in 2 games. The Section 2 winner was University out of Ft Worth. At state, University lost in 2 games. The Texas State Winner was McAllister Park out of San Antonio. As Texas West champ, they also won the Southwest Region and are in the Little League World Series. Info on the LLWS tournament is available here: http://www.littleleague.org/series/2012divisions/llbb/series.htm
9-10 Softball goes to State level. Our team lost to Wylie for the District 8 title. Wylie was eliminated in 2 games at sectionals. The Section 2 winner was Robinson LL who won the State title for Texas West.
Juniors Softball goes to LLWS. Our DLL team lost the Sectional title to Robinson LL. Robinson lost in the Texas West State Final to Eagle Pass. Eagle Pass won the Southwest Region and was the representative in the Little League Juniors Softball World Series in Kirkland Washington and lost all 3 pool play games. This tournament is ongoing, more information is available here: http://www.littleleague.org/series/2012divisions/jlsb/series.htm
Last night of All Star baseball
The 7-8 White team plays for the District championship tonight in Prosper at 7pm. That will end our post-season activities for the year, and what a great year it's been.
7-8 1st or 2nd place later tonight
9-10 District 8 Champs, 2nd place Classics
11-12 District Semis
Juniors Softball Waco Sectionals
Congratulations to everyone for your hard work and dedication.
Up next...Fall ball.
That's what it's all about...
Growing up, I was a sports junkie. I don't particularly know where it came from as I largely grew up in a single parent home with my Mom and no older brothers or sisters. But I flat out loved to play. You name it, I wanted to play it, and mostly it was team sports. Sometimes I see guys from back in the day, and we'll reminisce, and they'll say stuff like, "Man, I remember when you ran full speed into that brick wall trying to save that basketball from going out of bounds." Why do we do things like that?
This week, and particularly last night, I was brought back to those memories and why I was so enamored with sports as I watched the 9-10 White team try to win a game from Forney to force a showdown game tomorrow. They lost the game, but that's totally irrelevant...and while the boys certainly wouldn't agree with me today...someday they'll recognize that too. For what they experienced over this last week was pure magic.
Even though most of the players didn't know each other 3 weeks ago, they bonded and created a team chemistry very quickly. They began playing ball and realized they could win. And they had fun together.
When things got tough, and almost every single game it got tough, they'd make mistakes and then they'd rally. A quiet confidence grew that they could make things happen and find a way to pull it out no matter what happened. Rather than self destructing over mistakes, they supported each other and made great plays when they needed them time and again. And their fan section grew and loved them.
To me, this is where the line gets drawn between recreational and competitive sports, and why metaphors to war are so often used in describing sports situations. Recreational sports ARE fun, and everyone plays and learns. But the competitive element provides that outside force or pressure, and for the team with the right makeup, transforms them into a unit that's willing to lay it on the line for each other. "I'm going to make this catch, because they are depending on me." "I'm getting a hit because so and so got thrown out at 2nd and we've got to get a run." Players stop dwelling on their personal insecurities because they're part of something larger now and it's tangible. The confidence they gain from each other's support makes them superhuman, or at least capable of doing things that they wouldn't have thought possible before. They are bullet proof, they are on top of the world.
That simply doesn't happen in recreational sports, and a lot of times it doesn't happen in competitive sports either. But sometimes, sometimes that moment happens and it all comes together. The Dallas White boys experienced it, and they'll probably remember it for the rest of their lives. For many, this may be the catalyst that drives them to pursue excellence, whether in baseball, some other sport, or in their career path years from now. They now know what it feels like to be part of something special made up of hard work, subversion of self, a bit of fearlessness, and maximizing their abilities. They'll want to experience it again and again.
Many of us watching experienced it again vicariously through them. And for that, we thank you boys. Job well done.
Friday the 13th All Star Update
7-8 White is in the Championship bracket now. As the winner of the South bracket, they'll play the loser of the North bracket at 7pm Saturday in Dennison.
9-10 White has advanced all the way through the loser's bracket, and now has to beat Forney twice to win the Championship. The first game is tonight at 7pm in South Garland.
9-10 South (International tourney) has game 2 tonight in Weatherford against Dixie LL at 7pm. If they win, they face Westside again on Saturday at 10am. Westside was spanked by Midway 19-2.
Juniors Softball Sectional in Waco is Saturday at 1pm and 5pm.
There are NO MORE games at Winfrey this season. Thank you to everyone who's helped put on tourney games out there the last 2 weeks!
Now to start planning Fall Ball...
Thursday 7/12 All Star Update
9-10 South lost the first round of the sectional tournament to Westside 3-1. Next game is Friday at 7pm.
7-8 Blue: I heard a rumor they won last night, but no confirmation yet.
7-8 White takes on Forney tonight at Winfrey, winner advances to championship round.
9-10 White plays at S Garland tonight, winner advances to championship round.
Juniors girls head to Waco on Saturday for 1pm and 5pm games against Robinson LL in a best 2 out of 3. If necessary, game 3 will be 2pm Sunday. Winner advances to State.
Wednesday 7/11 All Star Update
Dallas 9-10 White has something special going on. After a poor bracket draw, having to defeat 9-10 Blue twice in a row, the potential of 4 straight days of games after rainout scheduling...they have perservered and won in several very tight games.
Someone up there apparently noticed and has given them a day of rest before the final 2 games of the tournament. If you want to go see some very exciting baseball...catch White's last games. Good luck and go win it all guys!
Tournament brackets have been updated at http://www.leaguelineup.com/miscinfo.asp?menuid=36&cmenuid=36&url=texasdistrict8&sid=705157864
7-8 Blue plays tonight at S Garland.
7-8 White plays Forney tomorrow at Winfrey
9-10 White plays loser bracket final tomorrow at S Garland
And tonight, 9-10 South starts sectional play in Weatherford in the International tournament.
Saturday All Star Update
Sectional Tournament Sponsors:
Our Juniors Softball team will be playing in Waco next weekend, and it appears that the Alligator Cafe has volunteered to sponsor the team to help offset travel costs for the team.
With the boy's 9-10 team securing their Sectional slot, they will be traveling to Weatherford for games Wed - Sunday. If you're interested in sponsoring them, they are trying to figure out whether to do the 2 hr drive back and forth every day, or stay in a hotel there for a couple of nights. Contact Kelvan Musgrave for more details.
Congratulations 9-10 South !!!
Playing Forney, the team that beat them in the first round of the
tournament, South got its revenge in what was a back and forth game.
Dallas took the lead early and was up 6-1, then found themselves down
7-6. In the late innings, they stormed back and took a commanding 15-7
lead to win the District 8 Championship.
This is the first District championship for Dallas Little League
in 10 years, and now South will move on to the Sectional tournament.
We'll post details when we have them and plan a road trip to go support
In other games:
7-8 White beat S Garland 14-3 to move on to 3rd round in winner's bracket.
9-10 Blue plays TBD at Winfrey, 7pm
9-10 White plays at S Garland, 7pm
11-12 Blue plays at Prosper, 7pm
4th of July All Star Update
Monday All Star Update
9-10 South defeated N Garland 10-4 Saturday night and plays S Garland tonight at South Garland at 7:30pm. Winner moves on to Championship bracket. This will be a tough game and they could use your support. Go get 'em guys!
9-10 Softball lost to Wylie, Wylie moves on to Sectional tournament.
11-12 South plays N Texas in Carrollton tonight at 7:30 in an elimination game.
7-8 White plays N Texas in Carrollton Tuesday night at 7pm in the opening round of the Classic tourney.
7-8 Blue plays Wylie Maroon at Winfrey on Tuesday night at 7pm.
9-10 White plays Forney 4 at Winfrey TONIGHT at 7pm.
9-10 Blue plays the winner of Dallas White/Forney 4 on Wednesday at 10am at Winfrey.
11-12 Blue plays the winner of N Garland/Wylie on Thursday at 7pm, location TBD.
If you can be announcer or official scorekeeper for any games at Winfrey this week, it would be appreciated, please contact Lance Spellman.
Thursday All Star Update
9-10 South wins home game at Winfrey to keep Dallas undefeated at home. Beating Forney 2 by a score of 21-0, South looked dominant last night behind crisp defense and solid hitting.
9-10 East lost a tight game against S. Garland. After closing the gap to 13-11, the team had a chance to complete the come back in the bottom of the 6th with runners on 2nd and 3rd and 2 outs. A well hit ball toward 2nd couldn't find a hole and the side was retired.
As a result, 9-10 S will play 9-10 E on Friday night at Winfrey at 7pm. For one, the tournament will end. Be sure to come support the Dallas teams this Friday.
The Juniors team also played last night and lost to Forney 13-6 ending their tournament run.
Tonight's game at Winfrey is 11-12 East (1-0) against S Garland. The winner of this game has a great chance to advance to the Championship bracket. Come tonight and support our 11-12 East All Stars.
Wednesday All Star Update
Dallas 11-12 East wins against North Texas 18-10.
Dallas 11-12 South loses to North Garland 15-1.
East goes on to play South Garland on Thursday 6/28 at 7:30pm at Winfrey.
South will play the loser of that game on Saturday 6/30, location TBD.
Tonight's games are:
9-10 East at South Garland at 7:30pm
9-10 South vs Forney 2 at Winfrey Point at 7:30pm (official scorekeeper needed)
Juniors vs Forney at North Garland Patterson field at 7:00pm
If you're coming to Winfrey tonight, Free Wheel'n Cafe and Kona Ice will be there for food, drinks and snow cones. Please be sure to give them some business or they won't be back for future games. Tnanks!
All Star Games
International Tournament Results for Monday 6/25:
9-10 South 6
N Texas (American)
Winfrey Point 1, 7:30pm
North Garland, 7:30pm
All Star Information
For information on the All Star selections, teams, game locations, dates, please click here
. UPDATED 6/21 9:45PM.
Updated All Star and Classic Tournament brackets
11-12 South Bracket
ALL LINKS HAVE BEEN REMOVED FROM THIS PAGE AS THEY HAVE BEEN MADE UNRELIABLE AT THE DISTRICT 8 SITE.
Please use the following link to go directly to the District 8 bracket pages and read them from there:
All Star Team Selections and Information
The International All Star team selections are as follows: UPDATED 6/21 9:30PM
9-10 South -> Head Coach: Kelvan Musgrave
9-10 East -> Head Coach: Robby Ates
9-10 West -> Little League Int'l has said West must form its own independent teams for 9-10 and 11-12. Prior to LL's ruling, we polled our West players to see if a team could be formed and determined it couldn't. Since the ruling, we've made 1 more attempt just to be sure that hasn't been successful. As a result, we've invited West players to the Classic team.
Here's the District Tournament bracket for the South. Top 2 teams from South play top 2 teams from North for District championship.
11-12 South -> Head Coach: Garth Fennegan
11-12 East -> Head Coach: Robert Shoemake
11-12 West -> Little League Int'l has said West must form its own
independent teams for 9-10 and 11-12. Prior to LL's ruling, we polled
our West players to see if a team could be formed and determined it
couldn't. As a result, we are inviting West players to
the Classic team.
Here's the tournament bracket for Little League (i.e. 11-12 yr olds):
Juniors -> Head Coach: Keith Smith
The tournament bracket for Juniors is:
9-10 -> Head Coach: Daniel Miramontes
Jasmin Michelle Sanchez
Schedule has been updated to the following, but is not set in stone:
10U Game 1 Friday 6/29 @ 7pm at Founders Park in Wylie
10U Game 2 Saturday 6/30 @ 6pm at Randall Park in Dallas
10U Game 3 (If necessary) Sunday 07/01 @ 6pm or 7pm – Field location to be determined by coin flip immediately following game 2
Juniors -> Head Coach: Rachel Montgomery
Schedule has been updated to the following, but is not set in stone:
14U Game 1 Saturday 06/30 @ 10am am at Founders Park in Wylie
14U Game 2 Saturday 6/30 @ 8pm at Randall Park in Dallas
14U Game 3 Sunday 07/01
@ 7pm or 8pm – (If 10U has a game 3, 14U game 3 will be at same
location. If 10U doesn’t have a game 3, then 14U if necessary game
location would be determined by a coin flip immediately following 14U
game 2) (If both 10U and 14U require a game 3, start times would be 6pm
and 8pm. If only (1) 10U or 14U game 3 is required, then start time is
Classic All Stars:
7-8 Blue --> Head Coach: Greg Hettrick
The tournament has been broken into 2 segments. 7-8 Blue is Dallas 1 playing in the North bracket.
7-8 White --> Head Coach: Kevin Cabaniss
7-8 White is Dallas 2 and is playing in the South bracket.
9-10 Blue --> Head Coach: Mike Herrick
9-10 White --> Head Coach: Jay Spears
Joris Schuller III
9-10 White is Dallas 1 and 9-10 Blue is Dallas 2 in the bracket below.
11-12 --> Head Coach: Dan McVicker
Invitations will be sent between 6/18-6/21
DLL Closing Ceremonies 6/9 Saturday Night 6:30pm
Closing Ceremonies for baseball and softball are this Saturday night at Winfrey Point. We'll get started around 6:30pm as the last Coach Pitch games on Winfrey 3.
Schedule of Events:
6:00pm Food trucks start arriving
Rockstar Bakeshop - whoopie pies and other delicious treats
Free Wheel'N Cafe - burgers, Philly Cheesesteaks
Dos Paisanos - Mexican, Salvadorian food
Enticed Shaved Ice - says it all
1 more main entree truck (more healthy oriented)
6:30pm Trophy presentations for TBall and Coach Pitch
All TBall and CP players receive trophies
7:00pm Home Run Derby begins
Field 1 - Majors and Juniors
Field 2 - Minors
Field 3 - Coach Pitch and MKP
8:15pm Trophy presentations for MKP, Minors, Majors, Juniors
8:30pm (or when dark enough) Everyone's Hero movie on TBall field
Bring your blankets and chairs!
For the Home Run derbies, anyone can participate (softball too) until 8pm. Each participant gets 5 swings. Tie scores will go to elimination round(s) starting at 8pm. Winners get a Warstic bat engraved with their name on it, (demonstration model will be on-site).
Coach Pitch players will hit from around the Pitcher's mound.
MKP Players will hit from home plate.
Minors players will hit to a shortened fence
Majors players will hit to a shortened fence
Juniors softball players will hit to a shortened fence
Juniors baseball players -- real fence
Memorial Day Tournament
The Memorial Day Tournament for baseball will be played Thursday May 24th through Monday May 28th. For details, click here
Memorial Day Tournament Results
Congratulations to all who played in the 2012 DLL Memorial Day Tournament.
The final standings for the tournament were:
1. Dodgers (1-1-1) in pool play. 3rd seed in tournament bracket
2. Bulls (3-0) in pool play. 1st seed in bracket
3. Wildcats (3-0) in pool play. 2nd seed in bracket
4. Astros (1-1-1) in pool play. 4th seed in bracket
The Dodgers and Wildcats played a thrilling 6 inning semi-final that ended on a bases-loaded, 2 out, pick-off at 1st base for a 6-5 Dodgers win which propelled them into the Championship game which they won easily 14-5 over the Bulls.
Memorial Day Tournament Info
1. Registration is for teams, not players.
2. Team cost is $275
3. Registration is now open and ends Sunday, May 20th.
4. Registration is first come, first served at the Little League store, 8 teams maximum per division at the DLL store: http://store.dallaslittleleague.org
5. In the event a division does not make, refunds will be issued on May 21st.
1. Each division (MKP, Minors, Majors) will have a maximum of 8 teams in the tournament.
2. A team will consist of registered Dallas Little League players for liability insurance purposes.
3. A team does not have to consist of players from 1 Spring team. Teams can combine or add players from other teams.
4. Players can play in any division they are eligible to play. For example, a 10 year old playing in Majors can play in Minors or Majors for the tournament.
5. Teams must observe fair play rules for all players.
6. Teams do not need to have matching jerseys.
1. Pitch counts will be strictly observed and monitored.
2. All teams are required to bring pitch logs for anyone who has pitched from Sunday May 20th on.
3. Pitch logs (ala the Julia-provided ring binder) will be required at every game and checked for every pitcher who enters the game.
4. Know your pitch count rules and apply them wisely (for Coaches participating in All Stars, this is good training)
1. Teams will be randomly seeded for 2 rounds of pool play that will be held Thursday and Friday nights
2. Based on 2 rounds, teams will be seeded into 8-team single elimination bracket played Saturday, Sunday, Monday.
3. Seeding for bracket will be based on the following criteria in descending order:
b. Head to head
c. Run differential
d. Runs allowed
e. coin flip
4. Teams are guaranteed 3 games: Th, Fri round robin and a quarterfinal game. Teams winning quarterfinals will play 5 games total.
1. Played by regular season rules with time limits (except championship round...see below). For MKP, this means full kid pitch with steals.
2. Normal time limits will be in play for all rounds except championship round...see below
3. In the event of a tie in the round robin games, it will be recorded as such. For quarter-final and semi-final games, additional inning(s) will be played until there is a winner.
1. The losers of the semi-final round on Sunday will play for 3rd place on Monday. The winners will play for 1st place.
2. The game will be a regulation 6 inning game with no time limits (subject to run rules).
3. 1st, 2nd and 3rd places will win a team trophy as well as individual player trophies.
1. Tournament games do NOT count toward a player's minimum games requirement for All Star participation.
2. A 60% participation (or 7 of 12 regular season games scheduled) is still required for All Star participation.
As teams sign up, this page will be updated to show them. This page will also show teams that are looking for players, or players that are looking for teams. Please check it frequently if you are looking to complete a team for the tournament. To get your information added to the page, send email to email@example.com.
UPDATED TUESDAY 5/18
MKP tournament is cancelled
Astros - Scoggins
Dodgers - Reimer
Bulls - Herrick
Panthers - Smith
Indians - Spears
Wildcats - Ates
Mustangs - McVicker
Yankees - Attig
Dodgers - Dormer
White Sox - Kanter
Teams looking for players, or players looking for teams:
- Majors Express has 5-6 players looking to combine for tournament team. Contact Chris Harper, firstname.lastname@example.org, if you'd like to team up.
- Minors, Devon West of Marlins would like to get on a team.
- Minors, Matthew Sharp from Rays would like to get on a team.
Online Coach System is Now Online
February 16, 2012
Coaches: Register and manage your team in the Online Coach
Spring 2012 News and Corrections
2 corrections have come up in recent review of Softball regulations:
- Our league boundaries for softball will be changed to incorporate a much larger area since Wylie and Dallas are the only local Little League's that offer Softball. If you're interested in playing Softball, and you live in the general Dallas area, you should be able to play in one of these leagues.
- The age calculation for Softball is different from Baseball. In baseball, your League age is calculated by your age as of 4/30/2012. For Softball it is based on a calendar year, or 1/1/ 2012. The registration forms for Softball will be updated to reflect that.
- We are looking at having 4 clinics between now and the start of the season:
HOT News! In a meeting yesterday (Saturday 1/14), regional officers from Little League verbally confirmed that DLL will likely be expanding its boundaries. Formal approval of this should occur in the following week and apply to the Spring 2012 season. If approved, DLL will add the Preston Hollow area (Tollway to 35 from Northwest Highway to 635) and the North Dallas territory (635 to George Bush between Tollway and Coit Road). For a look at what our new boundaries would be, check this map: http://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/18Cgpci03_
- District 8 Big Al clinic - Sunday 2/19 (free): Big Al clinics are primarily for coaches. Big Al clinics are a primary partner of Little League and Al has put on over 10,000 clinics around the country. They are heartily endorsed by every participant we've talked to about them. Prosper Little League President says all his teams practices are fundamentally driven from things they learned at Big Al clinics. Plans will be nailed down over the next week, but this will likely be held in a High School gymnasium in the N/Garland, Richardson area.
- Heroes Clinic - Sunday 2/26: For advanced 8-12 year olds (2-3 seasons of kid pitch baseball under their belts). This will be a $75 clinic from 1-4pm. 8-9-10 will be on 1 field, 11-12 on the other. Fundamental skills are assumed and clinics will focus on more advanced skills for Pitching, Offense and Defense.
- Keith Clinic (free) - Keith Smith will be holding a TBall/CP, new coach clinic in early March. This is intended for relatively new coaches who should also bring a few players with them. Keith will show techniques and practice drills for teaching new players in a fun way.
- Softball Clinic (cost unknown) - Look for this in early March. Details being put together now.
DLL In-person registration is next Saturday 1/21 at Dick's Sporting Goods from 10-2pm. Any volunteers who can lend an hour to man the table would be greatly appreciated. Contact Lance Spellman (at this email address) for more info.
The DLL website now has a Forum/Swap Meet section where you can put messages. Have you got gear you've outgrown and want to pass it on or sell it? Are you looking for gear or a team from your school? Use the forum to reach out to our community. Business postings and advertising are not allowed.