Review of Last Years Stats
As a team we had a large number of large numbers! In order to improve we don't need to work on hitting the perfect shot. There were several birdies out there.
We need to keep OTHER (Double bogie or worse) off the card. A famous quote of golf, "Your as good as your worst shot." How are some ways to improve your worst holes?
1. It starts with your preparation on the range. The day of a match you should warm up and find your swing tempo. This is not the time to tweak or change anything. Support one another in confidence. Everyone is nervous but stay focused and warm up with a purpose. That purpose is solid contact and tempo. If your fighting it perform some drills to strengthen your ball striking.
2. On the course analyze what your shots are doing and try to minimize your adjustments to your swing during a round. Try to be consistent in your swing. Play the shot you are hitting. Example: If you hit your first two tee shots left. Line up on the left side of the tee box and aim down the right side of the fairway. Focus on making the same swing you have made on the last two tees.
3. FIGHT to not make OTHER. If you hit a bad shot. Your mind set should be to turn that hole into a bogie at worst. Too often players will hit a poor shot and then fight to make par. This is the perfect recipe for OTHER.
***. Spend hours on your short game. If you practice shots around greens from all sorts of lies you will be able to get up and down from anywhere near the green. This provides a huge amount of confidence because anywhere you hit your shot you can still make par.
*** Putts add up to 30% to 40% of your score. Practice minimizing 3 putts. Players get on the green and feel they must make the 20 foot putt for par. They run it 8 feet past the hole and it is a perfect 3 putt opportunity! To minimize 3 putts focus on your speed and getting the ball to the hole no matter what the putt is for.
*** When you practice your short game spend some time, mentally put yourself in a round and practice getting up and down, making putts, or two putting for par. Challenge a friend or use par as 2 for where ever you start.
School Is In!!!
August 8, 2012 – 07:30 AM
Hope everyone had a great summer. The team performed well at the Yucaipa Valley tournament with Adam Lyons taking home the trophy for "Most Birdies." The team finished in second place to Hemet High School (No Seniors!).
If you currently are not in 6th period PE. Please make an appointment with your counselor so that you can switch. Contact Coach Phillips if you have any questions.
1. Fill out Clearance Card information including a physical. The forms are online or you can stop by the school office. Make sure that everything is filled out including insurance info, physical etc.
2. Return Completed forms to the athletic office and they will issue a clearance card. (takes a day to process the paperwork)
3. Contact Coach Phillips room (B-26) that you have your clearance card and are interested in trying out for the team.
FYI: In the sport of golf players can quickly improve and become ready for the Varsity team. Nick Martinez began taking up the game and playing in Yucaipa tournaments just a year ago. He managed to earn Second team all league and start in every varsity match. "Anything in life is what you put into it." Nick is a great example of a young man who gives his best at everything he does. Inside the classroom and on the golf course.
2012 Mountain Valley League Champions
Congratulations on to the entire team for bringing home the first Boys Golf League Championship in school history. Way to go Michael, Adam, Andrew, Nick, Sam, Colin, Garrett, Carl, Gilbert and Robert!!!
Adam Lyons played a gutty round and shot 81 just two strokes off the cut line. Great season Adam and next year will be even better!
Long Drive Contest
The players had a great time at the annual long drive contest. The current top ten Drives from the last three years.
1. Adam Lyons 365 (2012)
2. Michael Starbuck 363 (2011)
3. Chris Rice 345 (2010)
4. David Scott 339 (2011)
5. Blaine Baker 337 (2012)
6. Grant Tackett 322 (2012)
7. Michael Gaffney 316 (2011)
8. Colin Shaffer 315 (2012)
9. Garrett Garza 304 (2012)
10. Justin Gronek 300 (2012)