FREE Cardiac Screening for Student Athletes
As a part of its mission in the community, St. Francis Hospital, The Heart Center will be conducting free cardiac screenings of high school student athletes (grades 9 through 12). The purpose of this initiative is to detect and assess potential cardiac abnormalities that may put a strain on an athlete’s heart particularly when he or she is engaged in strenuous physical activity.
If you are interested in participating in a screening, please call our Community Outreach department at 516-629-2013 to reserve your place. Screenings will be accommodated on a first come, first served basis.
Pre-registration is required prior to the date of the event.
Our next screenings are:
Wednesday, May 29, 2013: 6 p.m. – 9 p.m., St. Francis Hospital (Appointment required)
Wednesday, October 30, 2013: 6 p.m. – 9 p.m., St. Francis Hospital (Appointment required)
Wednesday, November 13, 2013: 6 p.m. – 9 p.m. St. Francis Hospital (Appointment required)
Wednesday, December 11, 2013: 6 p.m. – 9 p.m. St. Francis Hospital (Appointment required)
(Please click here for directions.)
When student athletes come to the screening they will need to:
- Be accompanied by a parent/legal guardian.
- Have a picture ID on hand.
- Print out, complete and bring the forms at the bottom of this page on the day of the screening.
- Additional information will be asked of you by our registration staff and you will be checked in.
- While you wait, light refreshments will be available. Expected time commitment is an hour to an hour and a half.
- During this assessment several noninvasive diagnostic tests will be performed by technicians:
Electrocardiogram (EKG): A test that checks for problems with the electrical activity of the heart. It translates the heart's electrical activity into line tracings on paper.
Echocardiogram: A diagnostic test that utilizes ultrasound techniques to provide a two-dimensional image of the heart and can detect many cardiac abnormalities.
- Student athletes will be seen by one of our pediatric cardiologists who will conduct an assessment, review your findings and indicate if any additional evaluation is needed.
Please check here for the Cardiac Screening Questionnaire and the Student Athlete Heart Screening Consent form.
If you have any additional questions about the program, please contact our Community Outreach department at 516-629-2038.