2014 I-84 Travel League Rules
The I-84 Travel League was designed to offer a structured, competitive program for town sponsored Babe Ruth team’s and players. The I-84 League also acknowledges players of all abilities by offering as many as 2 divisions of play at the 18U,15U,14U and 13 year old levels.
Each town must have a town Travel or at least I84 representative. This person will be main contact for all operational purposes. The position will oversee the paying of the fees, ensuring manager or coach participation in meetings and league decisions. This person will also be involved in any disciplinary actions needed for that particular town's team. They will be the last resort for coaches of opposing teams to contact for any scheduling reason if they cannot get in touch with the team manager.
Although the I84 League is not governed by Babe Ruth, it’s goal is to work within the Babe Ruth guide lines and promote the in town programs and their growth. Any team participating in the I-84 League must be a chartered Babe Ruth team and insured Babe Ruth players.
13U, 14U and 15U Charters may not be combined unless a written aproval is submitted by the Babe Ruth Commissioner.
All player’s must participate in the town Rec or travel program while meeting the qualifications of games played set forth by Babe Ruth.
Players may play up in age or division. No player may play down in age without permission nor may any A player play down on a B level team.
All teams must register and pay the fees, including a forfeit fee, no later than one week prior to the spring meeting.
Teams withdrawing after the scheduling meeting are considered to be forfeiting the season and will be charged the entire forfeit fee.
If a program has a team after the scheduling meeting and there is room for that team in the appropriate division they may be added with the understanding that it is that coaches responsibilty to contact all other coaches to schedule games.
Each division will follow the age rules set forth by Babe Ruth Baseball. Each division is an “and under” Division. Meaning, players of a younger age may qualify for the team and/or be used as call up players. The safety of these players must always be considered in these decisions.
Call up players may not pitch for any reason.
ROSTERS WILL BE REQUIRED AND POSTED ON THE WEBSITE PRIOR TO THE START OF THE SEASON. TEAMS MAY HAVE UP TO 18 PLAYERS ON THEIR ROSTER.
13 Year Old Division
The 13 year old division or “prep” division will play by the same rules as the other's except for pitching. Each pitcher will be allowed 1 balk warning before a balk is called. At the beginning of each game the coaches are to review this with the umpires.
If a player is rostered in a division above his age group he may not return to a lower age division after the season starts.
All canceled games, for any reason, must be rescheduled within 5 days of the originally scheduled game. If the game is not scheduled, not played but scheduled, within 5 days the team that cancelled will have forfeited the original game.
If the oppossing coach does not help in the effort to reschedule both teams will recveive a forfeit.
The goal of the league is to get each player a full summer schedule. When a team forfeits it not only takes this opportunity from their own players but the other team's.
In the case of a regular season forfeit, the town will pay a $200 fine to the league from the original forfeit fee. If the home team had to pay the umpires the fee will be reimburssed to home team through the balance of these funds.
In the case of a second forfeit, the offending team will be penalized an additional $200.00. In the case of a third forfeit, That team shall be deemed to have a season forfeit and be disqualified from the balance of the season.
If a team forfeits during the playoff season the team will be charged the entire forfeit fee.
Forfeits will include
1. Game cancelations with less than 24 hours for any other reason than weather.
2. A team canceling a game due to lack of players. (solution, call up players, plan ahead, have a larger roster)
3. A team not showing up for a scheduled game without informing the opposing coach of that team for any reason. If that coach cannot be reached the Division Commissioner and town representative should be contacted.
SOLUTION TO ALL THE ABOVE. CONFIRM WITH YOUR PLAYERS A COUPLE DAYS IN ADVANCE THAT THEY WILL BE AT THE GAME. CALL THE OPPOSING COACH OR CONTACT A WEEK PRIOR TO YOUR SCHEDULED GAME FOR CONFIRMATION. PHONE #'S, CELL PHONES AND EMAIL ADDRESSES WILL BE SUPPLIED ON THE WEB SITE FOR ALL CONTACT'S.
***Games played outside of the league schedule against a division opponent COUNT AS A LEAGUE GAME. This game will replace the first or next scheduled game.
18U, 15U, 14U and 13 y/o divisions will follow Babe Ruth rules. Although, the I-84 League rules and modifications will precede the Babe Ruth rules.
- Any conduct deemed detrimental to the game by umpire shall result in an ejection from the game and/or forfeiture. If anyone associated with a team (coach or player) is ejected from a game, that person will have an automatic one (1) game suspension, for the following game, the first time. Players must attend the scheduled game in uniform and sit the bench. Coaches that get suspended are not to be in the ball park for the suspended game. In the event the following game is not played due to inclement weather or schedule conflicts, the suspension applies to the next game played. If this rule is not seen through it will result in a forfeit for that game. Coaches are also responsible for fan conduct. If the umpire ask's a fan to leave and they do not that team will forfeit that game.
- The second time that same person is ejected there will be a 5 game suspension. If it occurs a third time, that person will no longer be allowed to coach or play in the I-84 League.
Opposing team manager's should notify the appropriate league director of the suspended player's name and game conduct.
Each home team is required to supply 2 patch umpires for each game. The cost of the umpires is to be shared equally.
Position Rotation / Batting Order
The I84 League is designed to get kids to play ball and have coaches challange themselves into growing a team from top to bottom.
- Each team must play with a running batting order and use the free substitution rule. Meaning a player may be entered and removed at will.
MINIMUM PLAY RULE. Every player on the bench is required to play a minimum of 1 inning in the field and have at least 1 at bat. If there is any issue with a dressed player you MUST advise the opposing coach at the beginning of the game that this player will not be playing. If this is not done and the player is on the line up card this will result in a forfeit.
Exception: If a team run rules their opponent and does not have the adequate innings to meet this rule.
- If a player has to leave a game early it WILL NOT result in an out when that players at bat returns.
- If a player arrives late they must be placed at the bottom of the batting order at any point in the game.
- A courtesy runner for the catcher to speed up the game is aloud if needed. That runner will be the last batted out.
A team is allowed to start or finish a game with a minimum of 8 players.
- Tournament rules will apply at all levels. This means a rolling 7 will apply. The rolling 7 pitching rule means that any player may pitch as many as 7 innings in 2 consecutive games. 7 innings in any combination for example 2,5,1,6,0,7,0...
IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS RULE PLEASE CONTACT ME, IT GETS CONFUSING.
IT IS A COACHES RESPONSIBILITY TO KEEP THE SAFETY AND HEALTH OF THEIR PITCHERS, BE SMART IN YOUR DECISIONS.
- Slash Hitting - None Allowed
- Slap bunting is allowed, push bunt.
1. The 10 run mercy rule will be in effect for the entire season. If the home team is down the 10 runs they Do have the opportunity to get their at bat. 10 runs does not constitute a cold stop If the home team gets to a 10 run lead then the game may end mid inning.
- The I-84 League will allow aluminum bats following all Babe Ruth specifications.
- All players must be in full matching uniform unless a call up player’s uniform differs.
- All catchers are to have a 1 piece helmet with neck protection.
FORMATT TBD EACH SEASON
A single elimination playoff will be played in each division. 15 trophies or awards will be given to the 1st and 2nd place teams in each division.