Last Updated: August 23, 2016
Stay Connected with LAX
Marlton Recreation Council Girls' Lacrosse
Cherokee High School Lady Chiefs Lacrosse
Lady Chiefs Select Summer Lacrosse Program
As the Head Coach of the Cherokee Lacrosse team this spring, I understand that the future of the high school team depends upon the development of MRC girls lacrosse players. As a parent and coach in the MRC; I’ve seen the dedication of players, parents, and coaches have to the Marlton Lacrosse Community. I look forward to working with all of you to develop your daughters into future Lady Chiefs.
The goal is to build the Lady Chiefs of Marlton into a perennial contender in New Jersey. In order to do this, our players need to play together during the season and the off season. We would like the Marlton Lady Chiefs to be exposed to tournaments at an affordable price. Players will practice 3 to 5 times in June to compete in 1 tournament together. This will not conflict with the MRC spring lacrosse season. Players can play in both the MRC spring lacrosse and this tournament team.
In order to build up the Lady Chiefs program, we need more players to pick up a stick and play lacrosse in the off season. Through the continued partnership with the MRC girls’ lacrosse program, our goal is to help grow the sport in our town. We will offer affordable ways for players to improve their stick skills.
During the 2016 summer less than 10 of the 60 incoming 8th graders or returning Cherokee players participated on summer tournament teams. Those 10 played for the South Jersey Devils or South Jersey Select. The concern is not the 10 girls who are playing summer lacrosse. The concern is the 50 girls who are not playing lacrosse during the summer, fall, or winter.
Moorestown and Summit Girls Lacrosse are two of the premier high school programs in the N.J. and the United States. What they both have in common is that they have established a tradition of excellence and have players committed to their programs. One of the main reasons they are successful is that their players play together in the off season on tournament teams. Moorestown has South Jersey Select and Summit players play for S.T.E.P.S. in North Jersey.
WHO - We will field a team of players only from Marlton. These players will be trained by Cherokee High School Coaches and former players from Cherokee that have played college lacrosse.
WHEN - Tryout date is October 2nd at Cherokee High School Stadium turf; 9:00 am to 11:00am. There is no tryout fee. Just sign up on Google Doc at links below.
(Tournament teams currently charge $65 to $75 for tryouts)
HOW MUCH The cost will be $150 to play in The National Draw Tournament which takes place in June. During 2016, this tournament was held in Cherry Hill and in prior years at Cherokee High School. Players will have 4 to 5 practices with their team prior to the tournament. Players will have an opportunity to fund raise and lower this cost.
How Tournaments Group Players
Tournament teams are entered by the year in which players will graduate from High School. Ex; Juniors in high school would be a 2018 team. Marlton Girls Lacrosse will field 2 teams, a 2022 team and a 2024 team. 8th graders will have an opportunity to play with the Cherokee H.S. girls. (Info to come in September)
2024 graduation year
· Players graduating High School in 2024. Players in the 5th grade during the 2016/2017 school year can play on this team. Players in the 4th grade can also try out for this team. They would be playing up with 5th graders. The team will consist of 18 to 20 players.
2022 graduation year
· Players graduating High School in 2022. Players in the 7th grade during the 2016/2017 school year can play on this team. Players in the 6th grade can also try out for this team. The team will consist of 18 to 20 players.
· Mo Hildbold – 2016 MRC Trainer, 1998 graduate of Cherokee High School. Two-time All State and 3-time All Conference selections in lacrosse while at CHS. Attended Notre Dame where she finished career ranked third in ground ball, and caused turnovers. Assistant Varsity Coach at Cherokee from 2006-2012.
· Kate Maloney – 2016 MRC Trainer, former Head Coach at Cherokee High School. During her 5 year coaching career from 2005-2011 the team won 3 Olympic Conference Championships, 2 SJ Sectional Title and State Championship in 2008. Former South Jersey Select Coach. She attended Lenape High School and continued lacrosse at York College of Pennsylvania.
· Michelle Gonzales – 2017 MRC Trainer, 2012 graduate of Cherokee High School, Former South Jersey Select player and coach. Attended Monmouth University where she was part of the university’s 5th North East Conference title and the team’s first MAA Conference appearance in her final year.
· Kaycee Haverstick - 2017 MRC Trainer, 2012 graduate of Cherokee High School, Former South Jersey Select player. Attended Marquette University where she started on defense all four years. She led her team to finish in a 3-way tie of 3rd/4th place in the Big East Conference.
If your daughter is interested, please sign up on the Google document link provided below and attend tryouts on October 2nd.
2022 Tryout link: http://bit.ly/2b7yYnI
2024 Tryout link: http://bit.ly/2bvD2zb
Any questions, please email:
Jeff Niederberger, Head Coach Cherokee High School Girls’ Lacrosse at firstname.lastname@example.org
Holly Wall, MRC Girls Lacrosse Commissioner at email@example.com
Please take a minute to "LIKE" us on Facebook by clicking HERE and then clicking on the "LIKE" button on the Facebook page.