Welcome to the home of the
Troop 56 News
Troop 56 Calendar
Troop 56 Calendar
Advancement / Merit Badges
History of Troop 56
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Troop 56 NY AT Overnight Backpacking
Troop 56 Permission Slip
Troop 56 NYAT Hike - Depot Hill to State Line
December 8/9 2018
Due to the length of the hike we will leave from the Elks at 6:00am
..... Carpool - Directions will be given out on Saturday Morning
Planned Return time to the Elks 6:00pm – APPROXIMATELY!
An overnight backpack hike along the Appalachian Trail in NY State is scheduled for the weekend of Dec 8-9, 2018. We will leave the Elks at 6:00 am on Saturday Dec 8 and return to the Elks by Early evening on Sunday Dec 9th.
The 2 day hike will traverse approximately 17miles of the Appalachian Trail from Depot Hill Rd to the Connecticut state line. On the first day we will hike approximately 7 miles from Depot Hill to the Pioneer Shelter, where we will spend the night in tents. The second day will begin early with breaking camp and breakfast. We will then cover approx. 10 up and down miles to the Connecticut State line.
- Since there is limited camping space at the shelter the size of our group will be strictly limited to 14 scouts/adults.
- The hike is open to all scouts age 14 or older and family members who have hiked with the troop on at least 2 sections of the NJAT.
- Everyone will be responsible for their own lunch on the first day.
- Evening Meals and Breakfast will be decided at the prep meeting
- Please bringing your own trail mix and healthy snacks
- We will stop for a fast food dinner on the way home Sunday so a few dollars will be required.
- Scouts will sleep in 2 man (min) or 3 man (max) tents and share the burden of carrying the tents with their tent mates.
- Adults may sleep in 1 to 3 man tents and likewise share the load (if 2 or 3 man tents are used)
- All hikers must have their own backpack and sleeping bag…no sharing.
- Everyone must carry at least 2 liters of water in Nalgene bottles or canteens for cooking. (No single use disposable bottles please). Camelbacks are fine for drinking water while hiking.
- The Troop will supply Jet-Boil stoves, a water filter and first aid kit so there is no need to pack your own.
IMPORTANT: The hike is ONE way, so a shuttle is required. For this hike we are looking for 3-4 adult volunteers to assist with the shuttle. The volunteers will NOT hike with us but will drive up together in 1vehicle. Each adult will then drive the hikers vehicles from the starting trailhead to the state line parking lot and leave them there, returning home together in one vehicle. This will allow the hikers to hit the trail without the shuttle delay. PLEASE email me ASAP if you can help fulfill this role.
Scouts please contact a senior patrol member if you are interested in going or if you have any questions.
Adults please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. Permission slips are due by the Monday Dec 3rd Troop meeting.
DO NOT just show up at the Elks!!! Seating is planned to minimize the number of drivers needed. If you arrive unannounced a seat may not be available. PLEASE complete the online permission slip for each hiker attending so plans can be finalized.
Do Not Bring:
• Electronic devices (radio, IPods, video games, DVD players, etc.)
• Cell Phones… Adult Leaders will have them for emergencies and to call parents when we get close to the Elk’s Club when we return.
As always “The weather will be beautiful.”
Please Complete the Form Below and Submit Online
I give permission for my son to go on the NYAT overnight backpack hike with Troop 56 on Dec 8/9 2018
I confirm that my son's medical forms, needed to participate, have been submitted to the Troop leaders
Emergency Phone # (xxx) xxx-xxxx:
Please confirm if parent/guardian will also attend:
If attending please fill out the information below
Check here if the attending parent/guardian has a current Youth Protection Certificate
Name of attending parent/guardian::
I (adult) would be able to drive and carpool if necessary:
If yes, type of car:
Number of seat belts in car:
Name of parent/guardian submitting this form::
* indicates required fields