August 28, 2017



NORWOOD--Mother nature decided to rain on the 2nd game here in Norwood. However, a good portion of this game was managed to play before they ultimately called the game.

The first pitch of the game drilled Matt Middendorf of Elrosa in the hip. He then managed to make his way over to third base after a walk and a single. Ethan Vogt then drove him in with an RBI single to put Elrosa up 1-0 early. The next batter then grounded into a double play to end the opportunity for more runs.

Middendorf led off the third inning with a single and advanced to second on a wild pitch. He would then make his way over to third after a ground ball bumped him over. Matt then scored on a passed ball during James Kuefler at bat with two outs to make it 2-0.  Austen Hadley led off the fourth inning with a single and was scored on a successful suicide squeeze by his brother A.J. to make it 3-0.

(AJ Hadley successfully squeezes in Austen Hadley- photo Randy Olson)

Hampton’s bats started coming alive in the bottom of the fourth when the first three batters got on base (single, walk, hit by pitch). David Barry then drove in the first run on a sacrifice fly to left field. Two batters later Rhett Hebig drove in another run with a single up the middle to make it a one run ballgame.

The first delay took place after the fourth inning. Elrosa’s starter was Jimmy Thull, who was a draftee out of New Munich, pitched solidly the first four innings allowing only four hits and two runs. Adam Moorse pitched the first four innings for Hampton as he allowed only four hits and three runs while striking out four.

Once play resumed both team’s bats stayed quiet for the fifth and sixth inning. Hampton then rallied in the bottom of the seventh when A.J. Sayer started the bottom half with a single. The next two batters got out and that’s when the Cardinals delivered clutch two out hits starting with an RBI single from Pat Strey, followed by an RBI double from David Barry, and then capped off by an RBI single from Johnny Dittman to make it 5-3.

Elrosa managed to get their first three batters aboard in the 8th and the game was suspended with the bases loaded and no outs. The game will be resumed at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday in Norwood.

(Elrosa hanging in the dugout waiting out the 1st Rain Delay- photo Randy Olson)


In the top of the 8th and bases loaded with no outs, Ethan Vogt drove in an RBI with a Sac Fly to CF. Austen Hadley popped out and the runners were unable to advance. Pat continued his legendary postseason with a 2-out RBI single to knot the game at 5-5.

Elrosa would score a run in the top of the 11th, but Hampton followed suit in the bottom half to score 1 run to push the game to the 12th. Ethan Vogt battled through 4 walks and 1 hit to keep base runners stranded into the 13th. In the top of the 13th, the Saints would once again load the bases with a 1 out bunt single placed perfectly down the 3rd base line on a play where it looked like Elrosa was going to send Matt Middendorf home from second base on the play, but the 3rd basemen didn't have a throw on the play.

Bases loaded with 2 outs as Matt Schmitz would strike out and Cody Eichers drove in the game winning run on a HBP. Ethan Vogt would shut the door in the bottom of 13, going 1-2-3 on 3 consective fly balls to LF, 3B, and CF.

Elrosa advances to take on Jordan in Green Isle next Saturday at 5pm in the Sweet 16.

(Saints clinch consecutive Sweet 16 births and are headed to Labor Day Weekend-photo Randy Olson)