I know there are a lot of you who would like to know what the current status of the information meetings scheduled this week, as well as what the plan for the season is. Since the last time I posted, Governor Inslee instituted tight restrictions on what is allowed. Due to the current environment which we are all adjusting to, the information meetings scheduled for this week will be cancelled. We discussed rescheduling them; however, as of right now things are very much up in the air. At this point we plan to rely on either doing a video laying out what will happen for the season, or put out a PowerPoint presentation outlining what to expect this year.

Here is what we do know so far, both the positive and negative:

+ The season as of today is still expected to commence this year.

- We do not know when we will be able to start due to the Governor's restrictions on youth sport practices and the current social distancing guidelines. Originally we were aiming for the week of April 20th, but that date looks to not be feasible now.

+ USATF Junior Olympics meets in June and July are still scheduled to happen on their respective dates.

- Once again, due to circumstances out of our control, these could easily change.

+If we are able to do our season, we will still plan on both our Intro to Track and Competitive track teams.

+If we are not able to meet as a group at the beginning, we will be posting training regimens for athletes to follow and prepare for the season.

+We are looking at still putting on some local meets this summer, regardless of the USATF meets happening or not.

As far as registration for the club goes, it is still open. If the season is not able to go forward, registrations will be credited towards next season. There is also a special code for high school athletes to register with and was given to many area high school coaches. If you have not been notified of this code, please send me an email at tricitythundertc@gmail.com and I will provide this info to you. We expect many will want to wait until they get word of the season officially going forward, so hopefully we are able to provide that sooner rather than later.

I will be the first to admit: this isn't what any of us were hoping for. I remain cautiously optimistic we will be able to have a season, but only time will tell. Until then, let's all try to stay healthy and prepare as if we will all meet out on the track later this Spring.


Donald Sorenson
Head Coach, Tri-City Thunder