2018 NORTH SHORE SOFTBALL
MAJORS SPRING RULES
Rules for 11/12 year olds (6th & 7th Grade)
1. 6 Inning game
2. 5 run limit per inning, except last inning which is unlimited, unless Visiting team is up by 10 or more runs, then final at bat for visiting team shall be 5 runs. Visiting team at bat shall end, once lead reaches 15 runs, regardless of number of outs in inning
3. Pitching from 40 feet, no raised mounds
4. 12 inch yellow, raised seam – Dudley SB-12 or equivalent
5. Maximum 3 innings, each pitcher per game. The innings
do not have to be consecutive. (If a girls throws a single pitch in an inning, that shall count as a full inning pitched)
6. No dropped third strike
7. Continuous batting order
8. 10 fielders
9. Unlimited stealing after the ball passes the plate – runner may release from base after ball crosses plate. 1st early release, team warning, 2nd early release (dead ball) runner is called out.
10. Tagging up is allowed
11. Free substitutions
12. If up by 10 runs, stealing shall not be permitted
13. Run Rule - 15 runs after 4 innings
14. Infield fly rule is in effect
15. No Inning starts after 1:50
16. Game time – 2:15 hour Drop dead time limit, unless a game is following on same field, then 2:00 hour Drop dead time limit. If inning is not completed, score shall revert back to previous inning. Coaches Remember, there are no special prizes/trophies/awards for finishing in 1st place.
17. You must slide, avoid contact, or give yourself up if fielder has ball and is awaiting to make a tag when going into the next base other than first base.
18. Chanting shall be permitted, however, chanting shall not be allowed if the pitcher has the ball within the pitching circle. Pitcher does not have to be on mound, just within the circle and there shall be no chanting.
19. No fist bumps, fore arm bumps, “or congratulatory “bad game” when teams line up after the game, have girls show sportsmanship
20. 3 hit by pitches per inning the pitcher is pulled from the mound. They can come back to pitch in subsequent innings if their inning allotment has not been satisfied. A total of 4 hit by pitches and the pitcher must be removed from the pitching position for the remainder of the game.
21. When using windmill, both feet must start on the rubber. A step back with the non pivot foot shall be permitted.
22. Pivot foot must remain in contact with ground at all times. No Crow hops.
23. When using the non windmill K or T positions, one foot on the rubber is acceptable
24. Continuation on walk is permitted after being awarded 1st base via base on balls
25. You need 8 players to start the game. If you don’t have 8 players, and you have no call ups from the lower division, opposing team shall lend players to team with insufficient players. A minimum of 9 girls shall be on field when borrowing players. Players lent from opposing team shall be last 2 players in batting order from the previous inning, excluding pitchers and catchers that will be taking those defensive positions in the next half inning. Game shall be played and score shall be reported as 1-0 for team with enough players.
26. Call ups and players on loan from other town teams (your own town) shall not pitch in games. If call ups are used, call ups must play in the outfield and bat last. Players from other age appropriate town teams may play any position, accept pitcher and catcher, and may bat anywhere in lineup.
27. No short center fielder. Outfields shall be in the outfield grass, a minimum of 5 feet from “skinned” infield.
28. Catchers may be run for after 2 outs. Pitchers may be run for at any time. Any bench player, not entering game in next inning shall be permitted to substitute run.
29. If a coach or manager is ejected from a game, mandatory 1 game suspension (next game).
30. Arguing with umpires is unacceptable. If a coach feels a call was missed, discuss call with umpire between innings. Do not embarrass umpire or yourselves by chirping to umpire throughout the game. Complaints about umpires should be sent directly to Umpire chief
31. Coaches are responsible for their parents. Parents should be at games to cheer all athletes. Parents shall follow same rules as coaches and shall not question umpires. Umpires shall have the right to speak to managers if umpire feels that parents are abusive in any way towards umpire or opposing players. If manager cannot control parents, they shall be asked to leave field, or move to a distance away from field so they can still watch game. If parents continue to behave in an unsportsmanlike behavior, umpire has the right to forfeit game. Please don’t let it come to this.
32. Safety base shall be utilized at first base for all games.
33. Safety cages for all batting helmets shall be used.