Vipers/Orange Crush Off-Season Wrestling Program
February 9, 2013
Spring Vipers/Orange Crush Wrestling begins March 18th at Oakland Mills High School at 7:00. For all current Vipers, there is no additional registration fee. For high schoolers, the registration fee is $50. See handout section for flyer. Brad Howell, the current coach of Oakland Mills High School and current Vipers Coach, will be running the work-outs.
Vipers Wrestling Program
Vipers Wrestling Club is a non-profit organization run and coached exclusively by volunteers. Vipers offers clinic, recreation and travel programs for children ages five years through fifteen. The Viper's mission is to provide the youth of Howard County the opportunity to experience the great sport of wrestling in a structured, disciplined program.
Available Levels of Wrestling Instruction/Competition through the Vipers Wrestling Club:
Clinic – for the beginning wrestler
* Ages 5 to 8 years old
* Practices one day a week
* One or two matches at the end of the season
* Season runs from mid-November through February
* Very basic wrestling instruction with an emphasis on social skills, fun/games.
* Locations for 2012-2013 season: River Hill High School Wednesday night with Coach Brian Duval; Thursday night at Oakland Mills with Coach Brian Leitzel.
* Practices generally last 60-90 minutes and start around 6:00.
Recreation League – for the beginning/intermediate wrestler
* Ages 6 to 15 years old
* Semi-competitive - individual match scoring tracked (winner/loser each match), but team dual meet scoring not tracked. Coaches meet before dual meets to try and match up wrestlers of the same ability.
* Practices two days a week and sometimes three days. Practices last 2 hours or less.
* Kids will get approximately 15-30 matches during the year between dual meets and tournaments.
* Season runs from mid-November through the end of February
* Basic to intermediate wrestling instruction with an emphasis on conditioning, discipline and work-ethic in a fun environment.
* Teams are located at county high schools based on availability of gym access. It is anticipated that there will be six Howard County recreation teams.
* Anticipated locations (subject to change) for 2012-2013 are River Hill, Marriotts Ridge, Reservoir, Oakland Mills, Wilde Lake, and Howard.
* Burtonsville, and the Warhawks have teams that compete in the HCW recreation league.
Travel – The VIPERS – for the advanced/competitive wrestler
* Ages 6 to 15 years old
* Competitive – opportunity to wrestle the best competition in the Mid-Atlantic Region
* VIPERS practice three days a week. Practices are typically two hours.
* Kids will get 30-70 matches during the year between dual meets and tournaments. Number of matches depends upon how many events/tournaments are attended.
* Season runs from November 1st through mid March.
* Advanced wrestling instruction with an emphasis on conditioning, drilling, high level technique, intensity and mental preparedness.
* The VIPERS compete in the Anne Arundel County A Division and seek out the best competition in Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, and Pennsylvania.
Interested in coaching youth wrestling? This is an opportunity to get involved and make a difference in your community. We have immediate opportunities for volunteer hed coaches at Wilde Lake High School and Howard High School. Contact Todd DelTufo at 410-961-3942 or email@example.com or Brian Dykstra at lionsfreestyle.com.
Inclement Weather Line
Inclement weather line for Howard County Parks and Recs programs (and all HCW events)is 410-313-4451. Call this number if you have questions about practice or a match/tournament being cancelled due to inclement weather.
Gary Author Community Center at Glenwood inclement weather line is 410-313-4452. If event is at Glenwood Community Center, call this number to make sure gym is open. We can't wrestle if the facility is closed.