As we near the three quarter part of our schedule in all 3 leagues there needs to be a refresher course on rules, field time management and general overall league situations. These rules and their changes will begin this Tuesday, June 16th with the women's league and carry into our playoffs. I've asked coaches over and over, for payments of games, these scorekeepers don't and can't make change, stop with all the twenties and especially fifties!!!!!
As you all know or should know by now, Mile Tree is NO longer in play for any games until work can be done to it by the Fall league. In it's absence I have been forced to extend the amount of games at McLaughlin, meaning longer use of the lights which means more money to pay for the light usage. Before the season began a budget was used to figure the price per team for light usage of $50 per team. By adding games to McLaughlin and using Burnham field in Wilbraham that budget can and will not be reached. Currently with what we have used and are projected to use for the balance of the season the total figure will be approximately $280.00 over budget. I am not writing this to ask for anymore money from any team in any of the 3 leagues, but we will be making some game time changes and re working game clock times.
All these changes will begin this Tuesday, June 16th. All 1st game start times in the women's week night league and men's Friday league will now begin at 6PM, not 6:15PM, whether there is 1 game, 2 games, 3 games or 4 games scheduled that night.
The Time Clock for each game will be in effect for all 3 leagues. The time of each game will still be 65 minutes total as in the past but scorekeepers will now set their clocks for 55 minutes not 60 minutes. When the buzzer goes off, they will notify umpires that there is 10 minutes remaining and what ever inning they are in will be the LAST INNING! We've had so many games this year that teams are not hustling on and off field, getting there players there on time, not handing in lineup sheets etc that make games run longer, plus at that 60 minute mark, if a team is blowing out their opponent and still batting, score a bunch more runs, that team trailing comes up because they get their last at bat and the time limit has already passed and were running late. With the 55 minute clock it will give umpires and teams a bit more breathing space to get that trailing team their at bat and stay within the 65 minute time limit. Also to add to this, the two teams playing the next games MUST pickup there lineup sheet from the scorekeeper while the previous game is being played!!! Scorekeepers have been instructed to begin clock on all games right at game time whether team has enough players or not or has their lineup cards in or not. Coaches, get your players there 15 minutes to game time, we're not waiting anymore for heroes who like to show up 1 or 2 minutes before game time and if you have 7 players at game time, you start your games!!!
League rule reminders from some incidents that occurred during games from this past Sunday league that somehow coaches and players forgot, I guess.
1) There is no questioning any umpires strike zone. Umpires may warn players but does not have to, that is means for automatic ejection immediately.
2) There is NO warning to any player running down the first base line trying to beat out an infield play and touching any part of the white bag. You will be called out by either the base or home plate umpire.
3) There is NO blocking a base or home plate or faking a ball being thrown whether there is a play or not when incoming runners are approaching either a base or home plate. That too is also means for immediate ejection.
4) For any player(s) looking to promote any physicality in any games over anything will be dealt severe punishment not only in this league and NSA but for all other area leagues and sanctions as well.
5) The only bats that can be used are bats that say NSA Approved or have the 2012 NSA stamp on the bat in the shape of the United States ONLY! You cannot use any bat without either of those two markings on the bat. If it can't be read, you cannot use it. You cannot use a bat with just a ASA stamp or USSSA stamp, IT HAS TO SAY NSA!!!!
6) This is for all leagues, looking at the player rosters for playoff qualifications, teams and especially coaches should really think about getting the same players back over and over to qualify. I have never seen so many players that have been used by individual teams and we just turned the half way point of our season heading into the 3/4 part of it.
7) And lastly, the final game of the day on any field is played with a time limit. There is NO, finish the game because it's the last game of the day bylaw. Our league is paying for fields on a game/hourly basis to the Towns!
Once again as I mentioned in my first paragraph, I'm not upping any cost to any team for lights even though we're in the red right now, but I need coaches and players from all teams to take more responsibility so this budget can be obtainable by seasons end.