- If you will not be at a meet - email email@example.com
- At least 48 hours in advance if possible
Welcome to the home of the
Top Times for 2013
If you would like to see all of your swimmer's TOP TIMES during the 2013 season, click on this link Top Times - 2013. Congratulations to all Hurricanes Swimmers on a fantastic season. See you next summer!!!
A Finals Update
Congratulations to Eleanor Dunckel - our two time meet champion in the 11-12 Girls Backstroke and 11-12 Girls 100 IM! Also, several more records were "re"broken - Emmeline Dunckel - 13-14 100 IM - 1:11.79 and 13-14 50 fly - 30.60; Madeline Montgomery - 15-18 100 Freestyle - 1:00.06 and the 66 year old girls relay - Emmeline Dunckel, Clare Wismer, Kristin Dona and Madeline Montgomery - 1:56.48. And Molly Logsdon broke one of the oldest records on the board in the 15-18 breaststroke - 35.98! The Hurricanes finished 8th overall with a final score of 300.50. Complete finals results can be found in the handouts section of this website. Great season everyone!!!
A Finals Photos
The below link is to the Phleck Photos website -
Chris Fleck, a past NSSL president, and his staff took HUNDREDS of pictures at the 2013 A-Finals meet at Beachwood.
Here you can find photos of the award ceremonies, as well as 'seen on deck' during prelims and finals.
Phleck Photos has reasonably-priced photo packages -
Thank you for your support!
A Finals Prelims
Congratulations to all of our A finals swimmers! Our swimmers performed well on a cloudy, stormy day - and we have four new team records...Emmeline Dunckel - 13/14 100 IM - 1:12.27; Mitchell Buccalo - 15 & Up Backstroke - 28.31; Madeline Montgomery - 15 & Up Freestyle - 1:01.41; and the 66 year old girls relay team of Emmeline Dunckel, Clare Wismer, Kristin Dona and Madeline Montgomery - 1:56.82. Good luck tomorrow to all of our finals swimmers. Complete prelim results can be found in the handouts section of this website.
B Finals Results
Congratulations to our B finals swimmers on a great meet. The day was hot and the following swimmers were burning up the pool - finishing top 6 in their event...Kylie Ritter #5 in 8 & Under Backstroke, Matthew Mancini #4 in 13-14 Butterfly and #6 in 13-14 Freestyle, Claire Leonard #4 in 8 & Under Freestyle, Connor Buchan #2 in 9-10 Backstroke and #4 in 9-10 Freestyle, Noah Iverson #3 in 9-10 Backstroke, Fiona Benner #5 in 13-14 Backstroke and #4 in 13-14 Freestyle, and Benjamin Cher #6 in 15-18 100 IM. Complete results can be found in the handouts section of this website.
B Finals Warm-up Schedule
Attention all B Finals swimmers and parents...click on this link - B FINALS WARM-UP SCHEDULE - to get the most up-to-date warm-up schedule for B Finals. HWAC warm-ups are at 7:30 am and 12:00 pm. This does not mean arrive at the pool at 7:30 am and 12:00 pm - it means arrive earlier so that you are ready on deck to jump in the pool at that time. Good luck to all swimmers!!!
HWAC End of Season Celebration!
Please join us on Sunday, July 28th at 6:30 pm at the Huntington Woods Rec Center to celebrate another successful swim season! See the registration form under "Headlines" for more information. Deadline to register is Sunday, July 21st.
A and B Finals Info...
Now included in the Handouts section of this website is information on A and B finals, including meet packets and advertising information. . NEW THIS YEAR – the Hurricanes swim team will be paying for ONE happy ad for each swimmer – however you need to fill out the Happy Ads form and return it to the Swim Team Box no later than Friday, July 12th. It doesn’t matter whether your swimmer is participating in A or B finals – just complete the form and we will circle A or B Finals once the entries are complete. If you want to submit more than one happy ad, just include $5 per additional ad with your form (checks made out to Hurricanes Swim Team). Good luck to all of our championship swimmers!
A finals parade t-shirt
Deadline to order your A Finals parade t-shirt is Friday, July 12th. See order form under "Headlines" for more information.
Red & Black Charity Meet
Its that time again...it's Red and Black Meet Time! This is your opportunity to race coaches, swim with noodles and even win a pineapple! See the flyer under "Headline News" to the right. Have this flyer back in the black box by JULY 11th, no registration will occur after this time! Sign up and make sure you show up to have a great time!
You are all invited to join us for our annual team social event! See flyer in Headlines to your right...
HWAC goes to
SKATE WORLD of Troy!
Skate with your Coaches!
Fun Contests! Coaches Strut, Shoot The Duck, etc.
THURSDAY, July 18th
Mini Meet Results
Congratulations to all of our 8 & Under swimmers for a very impressive showing at the mini meet this past weekend! We had two double meet champions - Lucy Pugh won both the 5 & under freestyle and backstroke (with lots of time to spare!) and Maeve Dunckel was the champion 8 & under freestyle and backstroke swimmer! In addition - Emerson Robert was the meet winner in the 6 year old backstroke event. Way to go girls! Complete results can be found in the handouts section of this website.
Great relay meet for our 11 & up swimmers. Congratulations to the meet champions in the 15-18 Mixed 200 Free Relay - Eli Falk, Ally Vogelheim, Molly Logsdon and Noah Momblanco. Complete results can be found in the handouts section of this website.
We received the following information from Farmington Glen after the 9-10 Mini Meet "...as the results were being printed, we realized that the software was printing in a dual meet format and not the 9-10 Mini Meet format. This error, created a problem at the awards desk. We would like to apologize to everyone, especially your little swimmers, that they could not walk away with their deserved medals or participant ribbons." The ribbons will be available after our meet with FGAC on Monday, July 1st. Congratulations to our two meet champions - Joey Fredal in the 9 year old 100 Freestyle and Ian Carpenter in the 9 year old 50 Breaststroke. Complete results can be found in the handouts section of this website.
Mini Meet Information - Please note all registration deadlines!
Information for the 9-10 Mini Meet has been posted under the Invitationals page of this website. If you are interested in participating in this meet on Saturday, June 29th, you must complete the registration form and return it to the Hurricanes box at HWAC by Thursday, June 20th. There is an $8.00 entry fee per swimmer. NEW THIS YEAR - the host team is offering a meet t-shirt that must be pre-ordered by Thursday, June 13th. The order form for the t-shirt can be found in the Handouts section of this website.
Information for the 8 & Under Mini Meet has been posted under the Invitationals page of the website. If you are interested in participating in this meet on Saturday, June 15th you must pre-register by completing the registration form and returning it to the Hurricanes’ box at HWAC by Thursday, June 6th. There is an $8.00 entry fee per swimmer. Please indicate which two events your swimmer would like to race and a seed time (if known). If you have questions about what they should swim, consult a coach.
Information 11 & Up Mini Meet has been posted under the Invitationals page of the website. If you are interested in participating in this meet on Saturday, June 22nd you must pre-register by putting you name on an envelope with your $9 entry fee made out to Hurricanes Swim Team and returning it to the Hurricanes' box at HWAC no later than noon on Friday, June 14th.
If you need a car wash, the BHS Girls Swim & Dive Car Wash is Sunday, June 9th (this Sunday) 11-3 pm at the Huntngton Woods City Hall. Donations will be accepted. Stop by and support your local girls' swim team!
May 28, 2013
Due to thunder, the HWAC pool is closed...so there is no outdoor swim practice on Tuesday, May 28th. If you did not receive a text/email alert notification - don't forget to sign up on link below (left).
May 23, 2013
Due to a power outage at Berkley High School, there will be no swim practice on Thursday, May 23rd. If you did not receive a text/email alert notification - don't forget to sign up on link below (left).
2013 Team Spirit Wear
Check out the Spirit Wear Order Form link to your right. Orders due by Friday, May 31st.
Parent Meeting Highlights
If you missed the parent meeting, stop by the Rec Center and pick up your team handbook at the desk. THE HANDBOOK CAN ALSO BE FOUND IN THE HANDOUTS SECTION OF THIS WEBSITE. Below are some highlights from the meeting...
- The calendar in the handbook is up-to-date with the latest information we have. Please review the schedule for the first week of practice as it is different than in previous years.
- Spirit Wear samples (including parent apparel) will be available at the Swim Suit Try-on on Tuesday, May 21st and at another date (TBA). Order forms will be emailed. The team suit is the same as it has been in previous years. If you are unable to attend the Swim Suit Try-on, there will be a two week window to go to Varsity Shop in Birmingham to try-on and order your suit.
- NEW THIS YEAR - if you want to be informed of any late breaking news, please sign-up for Text & Email alerts on this website. Instructions to sign up can be found on the home page and in our team handbook.
- Every family must have a family volunteer for two events. This year we are using "Sign-Up Genius" to coordinate volunteers and meet food donations. You should be getting an email shortly with instructions. Contact Katina Cloutier at katina1@sbcglobal with questions. Make sure you check-in when you volunteer at a meet.
- Info for newsletter must be emailed to Lori Leonard at firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday evening. The newsletter will be emailed on Monday mornings.
COACHES COMMENTS -
- Get involved with your kids. Be proud! We're here to have a great time. Coaches encouraged parents to volunteer at meets (especially newer parents) - we can't do it without you.
- Everyone gets an opportunity to participate in a meet. There was a short description of swimming for points and swimming exhibition and the two Final meets (A & B).
- Coaches would love to talk to parents AFTER practice, not during. If you have a question/concern, please approach Sean, Katie or Johnny first before talking to one of the other assistant coaches. Please let the coaches coach. Parents are not allowed on deck at BHS practices after the first two new swimmer practices. Once the swimmers move outside to practice, please do not sit at the end of the lanes - sit on the sides.
- Swimmers should practice at their assigned times. If the coaches decide your swimmer should be at a practice time that is not their regularly scheduled practice, they will let you know (this may occur once the swim practices move outside).
- For BHS practices, please get there when you can after school. Coaches understand there are a lot of scheduling conflicts with the swimmers until school gets out. Do your best to get there. The more you practice, the better you will get.
- If you know your child will not be at a meet, you must email HWACNOSHOW@gmail.com at least 48 hours before the meet. If there is a last minute illness and your child cannot make a meet, you must contact Kelly Vogelheim at 248-545-8240. You do not need to let the coaches know if your swimmer will not be at a practice or two, but if they will be out for a week or more, please let them know - especially if it is the week of a meet.
Email and Text Alerts
NEW THIS YEAR – if you want to be informed on any late breaking news (pool closing, practice changes, etc), please sign-up for Text & Email alerts. It’s VERY easy to do and you can register multiple email addresses and cell phone numbers – so make sure to register mom, dad, swimmer, nanny, grandma – anyone who wants to have up-to-the minute news delivered quickly. Note – these messages are short and this will NOT be used for sending newsletters, handouts, etc – only “emergency” type notifications.
Simply scroll down on this page until you see “Game Cancelled” and a lightning bolt on the far left side. Click on Get Started. On the next screen, click on Sign Me Up! Enter the email address where you want alerts to be sent and then make sure the “create a FREE account button” is highlighted and click Submit. You will receive an email verification code sent to the email address you just submitted – enter that on the next screen, choose a password and complete your contact information. (You must be 13 years old to create an alert account. If you want your swimmer to receive alerts and they are younger than 13, you will need to “override” their birthdate.) Once you submit that information, the next screen will ask for your cell phone number and carrier for text alerts. Again you will be sent a verification code which you will enter on the next screen. After your phone number has been validated, you will be asked which alerts you would like to receive. We recommend you sign-up for “All Team Members & Coaches” and also for the age group(s) of your swimmer(s). After you click on save, you are done and you will be the first to know all the latest news from HWAC!
2013 HWAC Swim Season
Registration for current swimmers has begun and will run through March 4th, 2013. After that date, new swimmers will be eligible to register. Team membership is limited to the first 180 swimmers, so be sure to sign up and reserve your spot!!! You should have received an email with all of the information - if not, please contact president Kelly Vogelheim at email@example.com. The cover letter and A and B Intentions Form can also be found in the Handouts section of this website.
The annual Parent's Meeting will be held at the Huntington Woods Recreation Center on Tuesday, April 16, 2013 at 7:00 PM. Pleae plan on attending.
Below you will find the HWAC 2013 schedule. Meet start times are still TBD. Have a great winter!
Monday, June 17th – HWAC at Bloomfield Hills Swim & Tennis (formerly Bloomfield Surf)
Thursday, June 20th – Pleasant Ridge at HWAC
Monday, June 24th – Beechview at HWAC
Thursday, June 27th – Woodside at HWAC
Monday, July 1st – HWAC at FGAC
Thursday, July 4th – NO MEETS
Monday, July 8th – HWAC BYE (no meet)
Thursday, July 11th – HWAC at Kendallwood
8 & Under mini meet – Saturday, June 15th at Woodside
9/10 mini meet – Saturday, June 29th at Farmington Glen
11 & Up Relay Meet – Saturday, June 22nd at Beverly Hills
Saturday, July 20th - B Finals at Cranbrook
Saturday, July 27th & Sunday, July 28th – A Finals at Beachwood
Team Email Address
Our team email address is...HWACSwimTeam@gmail.com. Please make a note of it.