- Follow us on Twitter @LancFPUmpires
Southern Ohio Fastpitch Umpires
August 16, 2013
Our assiciation provides high quality umpires for girls fastpitch in all southern snd western Ohio. In 2013 we umpired tournaments in Columbus, Cincinnati, Dayton, Lancaster, Troy, Urbana, Wavery, Whitehall, Reynoldsburg, Gahanna, Hebron and Pickerington. In 2014 we have plans to expand the NSA tournaments schedule to Logan and other areas of southeast Ohio.
Our umpires also officiate games for the Lancaster Girls Softball Association in Lancaster, Ohio. We also umpire games for the Baltimore Girls Softball Association in Baltimore, Ohio. As well as NSA Tournaments and Leagues throughout Central and Southern Ohio
Our Umpires are sanctioned through the National Softball Association (NSA) and/ or Baseball Players Association for 2013-14 League and Tournament play.
Our Mission is to provide quality, professional umpires to officiate Fastpitch Softball league and tournaments in and Southern Ohio..
NSA is looking for UMPIRES!!
November 27, 2013
We are looking for umpires for the upcoming Fast pitch softball season. Experience is preferred, but not necessary. I assign games for the NSA in central and southeastern Ohio. We have a extensive tournament season scheduled for 2014.
OHSAA certification would be beneficial Tournaments are held in Lancaster (6), Columbus (3), Waverly, Logan, Troy, Urbana and other central and southern Ohio locations. In addition we will staff all LGSA rec games, and BGSA (Baltimore) rec games. Last year we assigned over 1500 games, this year should double that. Good pay! Contact me if you are interested. Pass on to quality umpires you may know.
FAQ - How many games will I get??
I have had MANY inquiries from individuals wanting to become NSA umpires. Please keep in mind that there are hundreds of games. But, new umpires should expect that they will NOT receive as many games as umpires who have seniority and experience.
Every year we lose some umpires. Some move on for various reason, a few of these are high school aged umpires that decide they didn't like umpiring as much as they thought they would, or they go off to college and no longer have the opportunity to umpire.
If you are looking for some extra spending money or just wanting to help out, then umpiring for NSA Ohio this should work for you.
We have an OUTSTANDING group of long-time umpires with significant experience, these umpires have earned game assignments through hard work and professionalism.
We have umpires working in Columbus, Lancaster, Logan, Baltimore, Somerset, Amanda, Stoutsville, Laurelville and Carroll. Occasionally we get request from Junior High programs and other rec. leagues.
We are always looking for opportunities to get work for our umpires. But we can not promise that NEW umpires will have games everyday or even every week.
I thought it only fair to get this information out to everyone.
Don McDaniel - email@example.com or 740-689-9968
2014 - NSA Tournament Dates
2014 - Southern Ohio NSA Fastopitch Tournaments
LGSA EARLY BIRD - 2014 NSA WSQ
May 9th, 10th, 11th, 2014
8U - 10U and 12U Only
Martens Park 2014 Mid-Ohio Spring ShootoutMay 17th and 18th, 2014RVBFY Sports ComplexMarion, Ohio10U, 12U and 14U 6th Annual OFC Spring BlastMay 16th, 17th and 18thArmco Park - Warren County10u, 12u and 14u 5th Annual - FIREFIGHTERS MEMORIAL TOURNAMENT
May 23th, 24th and 25th, 2014
Lou Berliner Park, Columbus OH
10U -12U - 14U ONLY Inaugural Hamilton Spring Shootout
May 24-25, 2014
LJ Smith/North End Fields - Hamilton, OH
10u, 12u and 14u
15th Annual Central Ohio NSA Invitational
Sponsored by SONSA & Louisville Slugger.
May 31 – June 2, 2014
John Bishop Park – Whitehall, OH
10U, 12U, 14U, & 16U age brackets
EDWARD JONES - 2014 NSA WSQ
Sponsored by Edward Jones Investments
June 6th, 7th, and 8th, 2014
NSA Inaugural Cap City ChallengeJune 13th, 14th and 15thScioto Park10u - 16uCommericial Point, Ohio Troy Classic Tune Up - NSA WSQJune 21st and 22ndTroy, Ohio16u, 18u and 23u PLay with Passion NSA WSQHosted by Ohio Passion FastpitchJune 20, 21st and 22d, 2014Waverly, Ohio10U, 12U, 14U, 16U and 18U Inaugural Hamilton Summer Shootout June 21-22, 2014
LJ Smith/North End Fields - Hamilton, OH
10u, 12u and 14u Mingo Madness - NSA WSQJune 27, 28 and 29thMingo Park - Logan, Ohio10u, 12u, 14u, 16u and 18u 10th Annual TCJB Elizabeth Spano Memorial June 27, 28 and 29thDuke Park - Troy, Ohio10u through 16u Troy Lady Liberty Showdown- NSA WSQ July 4, 5 and 6, 2014 16u, 18u and 23u Troy Ohio 2014 NSA SOUTHERN STATE TOURNAMENT (A AND B)July 4, 5 and 6th, 2014
8u, 10u, 12u, 14u, 16u and 18u Martens Park LANCASTER, Ohio
LANCASTER SHOOTOUT - 2014 NSA WSQJuly 11Th, 12th and 13th, 20148u-10u-12u-14u-16u-18u
Martens Park Troy Lady Liberty Classic - NSA WSQJuly 11, 12 and 13th, 201310u, 12u and 14uTroy, Ohio PRIDE CHALLENGE - NSA WSQ for 2015
8u-10u-12u-14u-16u-18u and 23u
July 18th, 19th and 20th, 2014
Martens, Miller and Cherry St. Parks in Lancaster
UMPIRE REMINDERS - Lancaster League play!!
The following is a list of items that we need to ASSURE we are doing correctly for LGSA games (any of our games for that matter)
* Games must start ON TIME, call teams to dugout 10 minutes prior to game time. Meet with coaches 5 minutes before game time. Then start ON TMIE.
* Keep things moving - ONE MINUTE or 5 pitches first inning/1 pitch esch other inning (unless the team changes pitchers).
* Scorecards MUST be FULLY complete and turned in each night. This information is critical for the League. Umpire pay is based on these cards, and if not fully complete you may not be paid for those games until cards are completed. If you have a tie we will need all of the information about the game to finish it: Times, last batter, etc , etc. FULL DETAILS of why game was not finished MUST be listed on the scorecard.
* LGSA time limits are: No new inning after 1:30 (8U is 1:15), the inning in progress is to be completed. There should be NO ties, except for games that do not complete 1:30 (unless you have5 complete innings or home team ahead after 4 1/2, if you do the game is official). Games that are ties and called for weather or darkness will be completed. Put game deatils on scorecard and have teams compare scorebooks. REMINDER: Home team official book, so make sure scorecard and both books match.
* Read the LGSA rules prior to working a games in a division you are not familiar with. They are posted at: www.leaguelineup.com/lgsa
* FULL NSA uniform is required. YOUR SHIRT MUST BE TUCKED IN and your hat on. Remember first impressions are important and set the tone for the game. LOOK and BE PROFESSIONAL!!!
* During pre-game meeting remind teams about jewelery and have them tuck their shirts in.
* DO NOT tolerate vulgarity, ejection is REQUIRED!!! Note: on scorecard and bring to my attention. Warnings should be given and noted on scorecard for any 'in game' conduct concrens.
* Umpires are responsible for addressing coaching and parents 'in game' conduct issues, there are Board members on duty and can assist with any issues that may arise.
2014 Southern Ohio NSA Umpire Requirements
*Umpires must be NSA Sanctioned - Fee is $45.00 for 2014
*Take and pass a written test (New Umpires ONLY)
*Wear approved NSA Uniform / and equipment(mask, chin guard, chest protector)
*All umpires must re-register and sanction each season.
If you would like to umpire Girls Fastpitch Softball PLEASE contact Don McDaniel via this email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or at home 740-689-9968.
Handouts, Rules, Forms
The following items can be downloaded form the Handout area on the left.
Umpire Registration Form
NSA Uniform Information
LGSA Rules (2012) See update tab w/ modifications
BGSA Rules (2012)
2013 NSA Fastpitch Rules (Test questions are from fastpitch section of NSA Rule Book and Umpire Case Book)
2013 NSA Rule Updates
2013 NSA Umpire Test
Required Training - Concussion Recognition
February 14, 2013
** All Umpires**
Ohio "Return-To-Play" law goes into effect April, 26th 2013.
Ohio's Return-to-Play Law: What Umpires Need to Know – Youth Sports Organizations (Non-school sports)
Training In Recognizing the Signs and Symptoms of a Concussion
Starting April 26th, 2013, individuals are not allowed to serve as a coach or referee for a youth sports organization, whether volunteer or paid, without:
1) successfully completing, every three years, an online training program in recognizing the signs and symptoms of concussions and head injuries provided by the Ohio Department of Health
2) holding a Pupil Activity Permit (PAP) from the Ohio Department of Education.
This is a free online training program that takes about 10 minutes to complete. Please follow the links below for more information. All NSA are required to complete this program and provide the me with a copy of the certificate of completion.
Link to NFHS (OHSAA umpires do not have to take a second time, please submit your certificate)
Rule Review Located in Forum
January 12, 2012
Check the Umpire Forum (Tab on Left) for rules review and discussion. I will try to update weekly during the season. I will highlight rules that are applied infrequently.
Southern Ohio NSA Fastpitch Umpires