AUGUST 23RD/2016 3:32PM UPDATE
* PRACTICE FOR ALL DIVISIONS IN SWIFT CURRENT HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO FIELD CONDITIONS
. In regards to Atom and PeeWee situations in Gull Lake and Shaunavon - The local coaches will be making that call and informing parents in their respective towns.
FOR WEATHER RELATED DECISIONS REGARDING SCMF PRACTICES AND GAMES PLEASE CHECK HERE OR OUR TWITTER FEED @SCMINORFOOTBALL
August 11th, 2016 Parent Newletter
**** If you're reading this newsletter, have registered but didn't receive it by email please let us know. Several emails from our registration lists are bouncing back. ****
Greetings Parent’s and Guardians,
Wanting to send out this VERY important update to all of you with information you need to know for the upcoming season which is creeping up on us very quickly.
1) Concussion Baseline Testing - As per the SCMF Boards decision earlier this year which was communicated to parents in July, All Bantam age players must complete their concussion baseline testing in order to play football this season. It is mandatory at the Bantam level. To date, it is my understanding that less than half of the bantam registered players have completed their testing so please plan to make that a priority in the next week or so. At the Atom/Pee Wee level it is not mandatory but strongly recommended that your children undergo this testing. Keep in mind, this test is good for 1 full year, so it could be of important benefit for other sports besides football including hockey. If you would like to get your child’s baseline testing completed or if you have any questions please see the documentation from Stride below.
2) Safe Contact Clinic THIS SATURDAY, August 13th. - This Saturday, several SCMF coaches will be taking in the safe contact/tackling clinic from 12:30pm - 5pm at the Highland Park Field House. What does it mean to you? Well, first of all SCMF continues to strive towards a safe football environment for your kids. As part of Football Sask requirement, all Head Coaches will be required to have this course completed prior to this season with that mandate stretching even further next season as ALL coaches will be required to have the course completed next year.
But that’s not all… as a part of the course we need at least 12 more kids to be fitted in their equipment and help with demonstrations for the on field portion of the course. I have been contacted by several parents who’ve told me the equipment fitting nights don’t work for them… so for those folks… here is an opportunity to get your son or daughter outfitted in their equipment this Saturday if it work for you. Previous football experience is not mandatory as the kids will be utilized in low speed, low contact demonstrations. The clinic starts at 12:30pm. We would ask that if you’d like volunteer your kids for this event, please contact board member Zack Johnson - firstname.lastname@example.org
We will require your kids to be there prior to 12:30pm in order to get them fitted for their equipment prior to the clinic. Please let Zack know as soon as possible if you’re able to help.
3) Registrations - Once again, our registration numbers are great for the upcoming season. We’re very excited to announce that not only will we have Gull Lake teams in our league in both the Atom and PeeWee Divisions… but this year we will be adding a Shaunavon Atom team to the mix sponsored by Benchview Angus. Despite good numbers again this season there is still more room to get kids registered. Particularly for the Swift Current Pee Wee teams. If you know of any parents interested in letting their child play football this season or if your kids have any friends interested in trying out football… please pass the word along that registrations are still be accepted.
4) Coaching -
Coaching is for the most part lined up for the season however, we could possibly use another parent coach/helper or two particularly at the Atom level. If you have any interest please contact email@example.com
5) Painting - Painting our fields is a major undertaking and they need to be re-painted up to 4 times or more in a season. Putting down the lines for the first time is particularly difficult and time consuming as two fields need to be measured out properly before being painted. This year, we will be painting our field on Saturday, August 20th at 9am. Help is ALWAYS welcome. Please let a board member know if you’re able to help out.
Here are the important dates you need to know for the upcoming season:
Saturday, August 13th - Safe Tackling Clinic for Coaches - 12:30pm - 5pm at Highland Park (** This camp is for coaches, only players who’ve signed up to help with demonstrations need attend)
Monday, August 15th - Bantam Equipment Fitting Night - Highland Park - 6:30pm - 8pm
Tuesday, August 16th - BANTAMS BEGIN PRACTICING - 5pm-7pm Highland Park (Bantams will be practicing Mon-Thurs for the first few weeks of the season then may drop to 3 days a week)
Thursday, August 18th - Atom/Pee Wee Equipment Fitting Night - Highland Park - 6:30pm - 8pm
Monday, August 22nd - Atom/Pee Wee Equipment Fitting Night - Highland Park - 6:30pm - 8pm
Tuesday, August 23rd - Atom/Pee Wee Divisions Begin Practicing - Highland Park 5pm - 6:30m (Atom/PeeWee Divisions practice EVERY TUESDAY and THURSDAY from 5-6:30pm from then on)
Saturday, August 27th - Atom/Pee Wee Evaluation Camp - Highland Park - 9am-Noon **** This is VERY important that all Swift Current Atom/Pee Wee players attend this camp. This is were players are evaluated in order to balance the teams evenly. Please do whatever you can to have your child in attendance that day. (NOTE: Shaunavon and Gull Lake teams do not need to attend this camp as it is design to divide up the Swift Current players in to even teams)
Saturday, Sept 3rd - Bantam Steelers First game in Estevan (2pm Weigh in) 3pm Kickoff (*** Full Bantam Schedule posted in our Schedules section on our website)
Monday, Sept 5th - FIRST GAMES in ATOM/PEE WEE - 1:30pm - 6pm (See Schedule for specific game times)
If you have any concerns or questions don’t hesitate to contact a board member. And remember to follow us on Twitter for important updates: @SCminorfootball and on our website www.scmf.ca