AUGUST 11th, 2015 PARENT'S NEWSLETTER
Few notes I’d like to pass on to you as we’re getting VERY close to the 2015 season. (I will be posting this note on our website as well… so if you know of any parents who didn’t receive this for some reason please direct them there.)
- After some discussion, we’ve decided to hold an equipment handout EXCLUSIVE to Bantam aged players. Bantams will be issued equipment on Aug 17th with practice beginning that night as well and running Monday Thru Thursday for the remainder of the season. This includes a “combine” skills evaluation on Aug 18th. If for some reason you’re unable to attend that night please plan to equip your child on one of the other evenings. All events will be held at our Highland Park facility.
Atom/Pee Wee Equipment Handout Nights
- We are holding TWO evening events for equipment handout for Atom and Pee Wee aged players. They will be on August 20th and August 24th from 6:30pm to 8pm. Please bring your child to one of these evening’s to get them weighed and fitted with equipment. It is also a great night to get answers to any questions you may have about the upcoming season. If, for some reason you are unable to attend one of these fitting nights, plan to get your son or daughter outfitted prior to practice in the following days. It would be best to show up a little before practice to do this. The equipment handout nights will be held at our Highland Park facility.
Atom/Pee Wee Practices
- Practices begin for these Age groups on Tuesday August 25 with practices running every TUESDAY and THURSDAY from 5PM - 6:30PM at Highland Field. Game days are usually on Sunday afternoon’s with the exception of long weekends where we’ll be playing on Monday afternoons. A complete schedule is listed on our website calendar.
Atom/Pee Wee Skills Evaluation Camp
- The Skills Evaluation Camp is a very important event for your son or daughter to attend. In the interest of keeping our teams as even as possible heading in to the new season we need to evaluate your kids to know where their strengths and weaknesses are. This allows us to try to put together evenly matched teams for the season. That is the purpose of this event which will be held on Saturday, August 29th from 9am till Noon. (Previous emails listed it as 8am - 1pm) We ask that you have your child there fully dressed in their equipment and ready to practice by 8:45am. This event is also held at Highland Park.
**** Special note for all Coaches and Volunteers. Immediately following the Camp at noon… we’ll be holding a Coach/Officials meeting to clarify all rules and expectations of SCMF Coaches and Officials including our fair play mandate. Attendance in mandatory for all coaches and volunteers. ****
- At this time we’re in a pretty good place for coaches/volunteers for the upcoming season however we still could use a couple more helpers in the Atom division. Our goal this year is to have a head coach and two assistants on each team in the Atom division this year and are a little short of Assistants. If you have any interest in helping please notify myself or another board member as soon as you can.
Criminal Record Checks
- Swift Current Minor Football takes the safety and well being of your children VERY seriously. As such we’ve taken extra steps to protect your kids by issuing a mandatory policy for Criminal Record Checks of ALL Board Members, Coaches, Assistant Coaches and Officials over the age of 16 involved in SCMF. If you are planning to volunteer in any of these areas and haven’t done so already… please visit our website, www.scmf.ca
and print off a Criminal Record Check document. (Click the “Downloadable Forms/Handouts” link) Please take this form to our local detachment as soon as possible to get your Criminal Record Check completed prior to the season.
More Safety Notes
- Swift Current Minor Football is also taking steps to keep your kids safe on the field. Concussions are a major concern in any sport. Over the two seasons, SCMF has researched and invested over $40,000 to purchase new helmets for all players. These new helmets are rated among the top of all football helmets on the market in protection from head injuries. And this year… we’re in discussions with a new organization which conducts Baseline Concussion Testing. This testing helps alert us to when a concussion has occurred and also tells us when that child is safe to return to contact. This project is still in it’s infancy, but look for more details to come your way either via email or thru our website.
- Swift Current Minor Football now has a twitter account. Follow us on twitter @scminorfootball It will be the best place to go to get updates and announcements on your smart phone
Thanks and see your on the field,
SCMF Board Member