Last Updated: December 1, 2015
It will be a battle of the blues for the title
November 20, 2015
Aqua Men 7 Mayhem 6
Aqua Men shortstop Tim Deering turned an attempted pitch-around unintentional intentional walk into a game-winning RBI double, as the first-seeded Aqua Men overcame a determined 7th-seeded Mayhem crew 7-6.
Aqua men led 6-1 after 3 innings, but Mayhem plated four runs in the 4th and one in the 5th to tie the game. Both teams went scoreless in the 6th. In fact, Mayhem went scoreless in four separate innings, to two scoreless for Aqua.
Mayhem had a man on base in the top of the 7th, but Richard Pratt's 4-6-3 double play ball ended the Mayhem season and advanced Aqua Men to the Warriors championship game.
Blue Blitz 24 Chocolate Diamonds 12
Chocolate Diamonds could not sustain last week's offensive outburst, and, coupled with some sloppy glove work, lost to Blue Blitz and were eliminated from the playoffs.Blue Blitz batted in six innings and scored 5 runs 4 times, 1 run once and had only one scoreless inning.
The championship game will likely be a close, tough fight. In their two meetings during the regular season Aqua men beat Blue Blitz by scores of 14-12 and again 14-12.
Invoicing for next season is completed
November 30, 2015 – 04:15 PM
Invoicing for next season has now been completed. If you have not received your invoice, please contact the league. As of the date-stamp, we have have 47% of the number of players needed for an 8-team league, and 41% of what we need to go back to a 9-team league. Thanks to everyone who paid so promptly.
How to pay: The easiest, best, and most convenient way to pay is to click on the PayPal link embedded within the invoice and pay there using any debit or credit card of any type, or a PayPal account if you have that.
A secondary way to pay is to mail a check, payable to WARRIORS SOFTBALL, to the league, to the PO Box mailing address on the invoice.
The third way to pay is to give plastic, cash or check to Commissioner Jerry Hermes in-person at games on Dec. 4 or at the party. Jerry is also able to accept payments by plastic on the phone.
THE PAYMENT DEADLINE FOR CURRENT ACTIVE PLAYERS TO GUARANTEE THEMSELVES A ROSTER SPOT NEXT SEASON IS DECEMBER 18th. AFTER THAT DATE, WE WILL BE GUARANTEEING ROSTER SPOTS TO WHOMEVER PAYS IN THE ORDER IN WHICH THEY PAY.
Lots of upsets in quarter finals of playoffs
November 13, 2015
Teams seeded #2, #3 and #4 all lost and were therefore eliminated in a night of upsets.
Aqua Men (1) 25 Yellowstoners (8) 14
The first place finishing Aqua Men had no trouble with the last place finishing Yellowstoners. It was close at the beginning, with Aqua leading only 10-8 after two innings. But Aqua outscored Yellow 15-6 after that.
Mayhem (7) 15 Gray Bombers (2) 10
Seventh place Mayhem upset the second-place finishing Gray Bombers. Gray's five runs in the second was just about their only offense of the evening as they took a temporary 7-2 lead in the ballgame. Mayhem scored 13 times in the final four innings, and that was that.
Chocolate Diamonds (6) 22 Red Slime (3) 11
Sixth place Chocolate Diamonds shocked third place Red Slime. Chocolate scored early and scored often. After four innings, Chocolate led Red by a commanding score of 19-3.
Blue Blitz (5) 15 Green Hornets (4) 14
After six innings of play, the Green Hornets led a close game 14-12. In the top of the 7th inning, Blue Blitz's Larry "LD" Davis hit a 3-run homer deep into left field to give Blue a 15-14 lead.
In the bottom of the 7th, Green had a chance. With one out, Green put runners on first (winning run) and third (tying run). A long fly ball to right field looked like a sure game-tying sacrifice fly. But, after catching the ball for out number two, Blue Blitz right fielder Doug Skaggs, fired a one-hop strike to the plate, which the catcher caught, and which beat the runner coming home from third by half-a-step, for a game-ending outfield assisted double play.
November 20, 2015
Quarter Finals on November 12th:
6:30 pm Field #1 1 (AQUA MEN) 22 vs 8 (YELLOWSTONERS) 14
6:30pm Field #2 2 (GRAY BOMBERS) 10 vs 7 (MAYHEM) 15
8:00pm Field #1 3 (RED SLIME) 11vs 6 (CHOCOLATE DIAMONDS) 22
8:00pm Field #2 4 (GREEN HORNETS) 14 vs 5 (BLUE BLITZ) 15
Semi Finals on November 19th:
6:30pm Field #2 highest remaining AQUA MEN 7 vs lowest remaining MAYHEM 6
8:00pm Field #2 the other two teams CHOCOLATE DIAMONDS 12 vs BLUE BLITZ 24
Thanksgiving Day on November 26th
Championship Game on December 3rd AQUA MEN vs BLUE BLITZ
6:30pm Field #2
Post-championship party information
1. The season-ending Warriors League championship party will again be at Giovanni's Restaurant, at 9353 Clairemont Mesa Blvd (SW corner at Ruffin Rd.) directly across the street from where the new Kaiser Hospital is being constructed.
2. ALL players from ALL teams are invited to this event at no charge.
3. All-you-can eat pizza and salad. All-you-can-drink soda and beer.
4. Guests are welcome. The cost for each guest joining us to eat & drink is $15.00, payable to Commissioner Jerry Hermes, in cash or by plastic, at the door.
5. The Brad Betz Memorial Award, given to the player that the league's management believes is the Best Teammate, will be awarded that night.
WARRIOR RESOURCE GUIDE NEWS
August 26, 2015
The Warrior Resource Directory has been updated to Jan. '15 and posted on our website. Ron Yardley is updating it for this season so, if you have a service to offer to our Warrior League, email it to him at email@example.com using the existing format.
Our league's sponsor
Click on "sponsors" to the left for contact info for our sponsor:
Commissioner Jerry Hermes to step down on June 30, 2016
July 7, 2015
Jim Smith to take over July 1, 2016
Longtime Warriors Commissioner Jerry Hermes announced he will be leaving his position at the end of the Spring, 2016 season. At that time, Hermes will have served as league Commissioner for ten years. Commissioner Bob Johnson will be continuing as the other league Commissioner.
Next July, Hermes will be replaced by longtime Warrior Jim Smith, who will continue to manage teams during the next two seasons, then stop managing and start Commissionering.
Hermes will be having a second operation on his left shoulder this August 4th, and hopes to resume his Warriors playing career in February, 2016. After that season, Hermes will be in the league as a player only.
Basepath safety issues
October 19, 2012
Our league would like to reiterate our rules regarding player safety on the basepaths. If everyone always followed these three simple rules we would have fewer basepath safety issues:
Top Fourteen Things To Know About the Warriors Softball League
1. Our primary reason for existence is to have fun in a safe way and build male friendships.
2. To accomplish that we only allow the use of league-furnished, ASA approved bats, in 26oz, 27oz, 28oz and 29oz weights. Any other bat, other than those provided by the league, is prohibited, except for players 69 years of age, or players turning 69 that year. These players may use any bat of their choosing.. Currently we use the Mizuno "Craze" and the Mizuno "Frenzy" composite bats.
3. We use a 375/.44 polyurethane-core softball.
4. We re-draft teams each season, so players are not with the same teammates each and every season. Eventually, everyone plays with (and against) everybody else.
5. We have "AAA"-type tournament-quality players, and we have "A"-type recreational-quality players, and everything in between.
6. We have 45-year-old players and we have 70-year-players and every age in between.
7. We have a true draft, but even though we do not make promises or issue guarantees, we bend over backwards to make every effort to try to make special accommodations to players who need to be on the same team for whatever reason (siblings, carpool together from afar, etc.)
8. We allow the use of courtesy runners once a batter reaches first base.
9. Outfielders must station themselves behind an arc of orange cones until a ball is struck by a batter. If a batted ball touches the outfield grass, the batter can do no worse than a single and does not need to run/walk/crawl/get to first base. Batters may not be put out at first base on a throw from any outfielder.
10. We hire our own real paid umpires.
11. Every team participates in the first round of the post-season playoffs.
12. Every player receives a new shirt each season and it's theirs to keep forever. We do not issue faded, shrunken, ill-fitting hand-me-down shirts to our players.
13. The league hosts all players, from all teams, to a pizza party immediately after conclusion of each season's championship game, at no charge to the players. At the party, usually attended by 60-70 players, the Brad Betz Memorial Award is presented to the league's "best teammate". For information on this award, click on the Brad Betz tab on the left side of this homepage near the top.
14. All games have not only a fully-stocked first aid kit on site, but also a cardiac defibrillator at each backstop. Most league players have been trained on how to use it.