2016 Youth Basketball
The first practice for the 5th-7th grade boys will be on Monday, January 4th at 6:45pm at the Sailorway Middle School. The boys teams will be drafted by coaches at the first practice. The 5th-7th grade girls' first practice will follow at 7:45pm. The 5th-7th grade leagues will run on Mondays and Wednesdays at the Salilorway Middle School gym.
- 3rd-4th grade Co-ed league will start January 8th. Coaches will call and contact players with practice times.
Registration forms are available under the HANDOUT tab to the left of this page.
Youth Basketball Sign-ups
The Vermilion Recreation Dept will begin taking sign-ups for 3rd & 4th grade co-ed and 5th – 7th grade boys and girls basketball. Registration forms are available at www.leaguelineup.com/vermilionrec or at the City of Vermilion offices at 5511 Liberty Ave. The leagues will begin January 2016 and run thru to March. The cost is $60. Each additional immediate family member will be $35. The registration deadline is December 23rd. There will be a $10 late fee if received after December 23. Please call 440-204-2490 with any questions.
The Vermilion Rec Dept will be holding Cheerleading Instruction Classes beginning in Feb. Cheerleaders will cheer for the Vermilion Rec basketball games. Accepting registrations for grades 3 – 6th. The cost is $40. Registration forms are available at the City of Vermilion Offices at 5511 Liberty Ave or at www.leaguelineup.com/vermilionrec under the Handout section. Call 204-2490 with questions.
2016 Youth Baseball/Softball General Information
Vermilion City Recreation Baseball and Softball General Information-Registration Deadline: April 22
***There is a family maximum cost of $225 for baseball/softball registrations****
• Children age 5 - 15 are invited to participate in the Vermilion Recreation Baseball and Softball Summer 2016
• Registration Forms will be available at the Vermilion City Administration Building—5511 Liberty Avenue.
Registration forms are also available under the 'Handout' tab on this site.
-Ages as of June 1, 2016
• Registration Fees:
- $ 85.00 for Rookie league (ages 5 – 7 coach pitch)
- $ 95.00 for Minor League (8 – 10), Major League (10 – 12) BB Jr. (13 – 15)
- $ 75.00 for each additional family member, added to the highest individual fee owed.
- $ 100.00 for each Non-Resident of the city of Vermilion or players not enrolled in the Vermilion School District.
- $ 10.00 Late registration fee for registrations received after the deadline (April 22, 2016)
• To Register, complete and return this form by April 22, 2016
Checks should be made payable to the City of Vermilion
- By mail to: Vermilion Recreation Department
5511 Liberty Avenue
Vermilion, OH 44089
Drop off daily through April 22, 2016 at the City Administration Building (Mayor’s Office or Utilities Dept. Office) 800 AM–430 PM
Guaranteed sign-ups end April 22, 2016. After this date your child will be placed on a team on a space-available basis ONLY!
• Games and practices will generally be Monday through Thursday beginning in May and ending by mid-to-late July. Specific game schedules will be published in mid May. Game sites will be Sailorway Park, the old Vermilion Elementary School Fields, and/or Amherst.
• Please call the Vermilion Recreation Department at 440-204-2490 if you have any questions. You may also visit us on the web at www.leaguelineup.com/vermilionrec
2015 Youth Tennis Program
The Vermilion Recreation Dept will begin sign ups for their Youth Tennis Program. It is available for ages 8-14 at the Sailorway Drive tennis courts. This is a four week program that meets on Tuesdays and Thursdays starting June 9th. The cost is $60. Tennis rackets will be available for use at each session. Registration forms are available online at www.leaguelineup.com/vermilionrec under the ‘Handout’ section or at the City of Vermilion offices at 5511 Liberty Ave. For more information call 440-204-2490.
Program Registration Forms
Program Registration Forms are available under the Handout tab on the left of the page.
Rec Department Guidelines
RESPONSIBILITIES OF AN ATHLETE:
- Always play as a team; win as a team, lose as a team.
- NEVER criticize the officials, opposing team, its players, coaches, or fans by words or gestures.
- Treat all members of your team (including coaches) with the same respect you would like to be treated.
- Respect your coach’s placement of athletes on the field/court. Refrain from telling teammates where you feel they should be.
- NEVER argue with an umpire/referee about the accuracy of a call.
- Refrain from commenting on the ability of other players, whether they are on your team or the opposing team.
- Be on time for games and practices. Be properly and safely dressed and prepared to play.
- The use of alcohol, drugs, and tobacco is prohibited.
- When playing a game, it is required you stay in the bench area if you are not on the field/court.
- Throwing equipment is prohibited.
- Avoid focusing on winning and losing. Remember that the main purposes for playing at this level are to have fun, learn to play in a team setting and develop important skills to be used later on.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF A PARENT:
Parents play a crucial role in the lives of their children. Because of this, it is important you set an example of expected behavior in everything your child does. The following is a list of parental responsibilities:
- Be sure your child is to his/her practice and games on time and that he/she is prepared to play.
- NEVER lead your child to believe it is acceptable to make fun of or criticize another player or team.
- Emphasize the importance of team unity, as well as respect for the other players and coaches.
- NEVER argue with an umpire/referee, coach, or other parent in front of your child. Children are easily influenced and will follow this bad example.
- Emphasize the importance of playing to have fun, rather than focusing on the prospect of winning or losing.
- Maintain your child’s uniform and teach them to treat the equipment as if it were their own.
- Demonstrate a positive attitude throughout the season. Remember, actions speak louder than words.
2015 Football Skills Camp
City Rec Football Skills & Technique Camp
The Vermilion Recreation Dept will be holding a 3 day football camp on July 28, 29, and 30th from 6 – 7:30pm behind the Vermilion Elementary School. The skills and technique camp will be open to kids going into grades 3rd - 6th for the upcoming school year. The camp instruction will be led by the current recreation director and former fullback for the Wisconsin Badgers, Chad Kuhns. Chad has also played with the New York Jets and St. Louis Rams in the NFL and is looking forward to sharing his football knowledge with the kids to help improve their play. The cost of the camp is $10. Additional immediate family members $5. Registration forms are available at the City of Vermilion offices at 5511 Liberty Ave. or at www.leaguelineup.com/vermilionrec under the ‘Handout’ tab. The registration deadline is July 24. Dress for the camp is t-shirt, shorts, and athletic shoes or cleats. For additional information call the Rec Dept at 440-204-2490.
2015 Vermilion Youth Tackle Football
2015 Tackle Football Information
**All football league information, schedules, and addresses are available at www.leaguelineup.com/leyfl **.
**The Vermilion Rec Dept has joined the Lake Erie Youth Football League and will be a traveling football team. Games will be played on Saturday afternoons.
Registration Deadline for Tackle Football will be July 24, 2015.
*First practice will be August 3rd at 5:30 behind the old South Street School/Vermilion Elementary School*.
Registration will begin for youth tackle football thru the Vermilion Recreation Department. The leagues are open to students going into 3rd & 4th and 5th & 6th grades for the upcoming 2015-2016 school year. The cost is $70. Additional players within the same immediate family will be $45. Players are responsible to provide their own helmet, shoulder pads, and leg pads. Home games and practices will be held behind the Vermilion Elementary School. Games will be played on Saturdays. Registration forms are available at the City of Vermilion offices at 5511 Liberty Ave. or at www.leaguelineup.com/vermilionrec. A copy of the students report card and birth certificate is required for registration. Sign ups can be mailed or dropped off at 5511 Liberty Ave between 8a-4:30p Mon-Fri. For more information, call 440-204-2490.
BALL ELIGIBLE PLAYERS weight limits are:
Junior Division: may NOT exceed 110 pounds
Senior Division: may NOT exceed 130 pounds
(non eligible players may not line up at QB, RB, FB, TE or WR)
THE RECREATION DEPARTMENT RESERVES THE RIGHT TO EVALUATE EACH PLAYER’S ELIGIBILITY IN THE LEAGUE DUE TO THEIR SIZE OR ADVANCED SKILL LEVEL EVEN IF THEY MEET THE AGE/GRADE REQUIREMENTS
Yoga classes at Main Street Beach will take place on Mon, Wed, and Fridays from 8:30-9:30am from May 26 through Sept 1. There will also be 3 Full Moon Yoga classes on July 12, August 10 starting at 8:30pm in the evening. For additional information, please contact Maria at 330-289-7026.
Please visit the Vermilion Soccer Club website for additional information:
Open Gym Basketball for 4th graders thru Adults
The Vermilion Rec Dept will make the Vermilion Elementary School Gym available for Open Gym Basketball on Tuesdays and Thursdays starting March 13. The gym will be open to 4th-6th graders and 7th-8th graders from 7pm-8pm and 9th-12th graders thru Adults from 8pm-9pm. The cost is $2/day which will be payable at the door. A waiver must be signed by parents for students under 18 years of age.
55+ Adult Tennis
The Vermilion Rec Dept. will be starting an Adult 55+ Tennis League. The Tennis League will be played on Tuesdays and Thursdays each week at 9:30 am from June 26 – July 26 at the Vermilion High School tennis courts on Sailorway Dr. The cost is $12. Registration forms are available online at www.leaguelineup.com/vermilionrec or at the City of Vermilion offices at 5511 Liberty Ave. For more information, call 440-204-2490
Vermilion YMCA Recreational Programs
Please visit the YMCA website for additional information:
Thank you sponsors !!
January 1, 2009
Please take a few minutes to look at our team sponsors under the "Sponsor" tab. If you get a chance to go to one of these businesses please thank them for their contribution towards making our basketball league a success.
Link to Youth Basketball Tips Homepage