Good Hygiene is Important!
Good Hygiene is Important!
Since wrestling involves a lot of skin-on-skin and skin-on-mat contact, hygiene is extremely important to the health of all wrestlers. Below are some guidelines that every family should follow to minimize the risk to themselves and the club.
Shower immediately after every practice and competition, liquid soap is better than bar soap since some types of skin infections can live on a wet bar of soap.
Questionable skin rashes and lesions are up to the discretion of the coaches at practice, but are not allowed in tournament competition.
Keep fingernails trimmed short to prevent scratching themselves and opponents. Fingernails are checked at weigh-ins at each tournament (don’t wait till you get there).
Wrestlers with fever or potentially contagious illness should not participate in practice or competition.
It is a good idea to get a flu shot.
Practice clothes should be washed after every practice, other gear (headgear, knee pads, duffel bags, etc) should be disinfected periodically.
Wrestling shoes should only be worn on wrestling mats – never home or outside. Street shoes should never be worn on the practice mats.
Shoes should be disinfected periodically.
Welcome to De Soto Kids Wrestling Club!
A NEW SEASON BEGINS!
Parenting is hard work and requires its own set of rules as well as the DKW Club. This is going to be a great year and we do not anticipate any problems but setting some ground rules is usually the best place to start.
WHAT TO EXPECT:
A parent meeting will be held the first Monday of the Month at 6:00pm, please plan to be in attendance so we can take care of club business for a smooth year.
RULES FOR PARENTS:
- School comes first, so please stress that your wrestler complete his/her homework before practice so that the focus can be on self improvement at wrestling.
- Respect: all schools have personal character goals and we do as well – this is to respect all coaches, opponents, refs and self.
- Wrestlers are to show respect for parents as well as other adults. We will not tolerate being disrespectful to others.
- We will use a STRIKE 3 rule and you’re out policy. Strikes will be given for disrespect, throwing fits, throwing headgear/apparel in anger, biting opponents, yelling at parents and other inappropriate behavior.
- We also expect the parents in this club to present themselves in a proper sportsmanship matter at all times. Foul language and abusive behavior will not be tolerated. Wrestlers: Whether you win or lose, you are supposed to shake the hand of your opponent, then shake the opposing coach’s hand and then shake your coach’s hand. Throwing your headgear down and storming off because you didn’t like the outcome of the match is not good sportsmanship.
- We would encourage the parents to stay in the stands and off the mats during the tournaments. If you are taking pictures or videotaping we ask that you do so without giving any instructions to your wrestler. The wrestlers need to be able to focus on what their coach is telling them and not what mom and dad are yelling at them.
- If you want to sign up for a tournament, you must pay for it and give the weight of your wrestler 10 days before the tournament. Sign up and payment processes will be explained at the parent meeting. We cannot sign anyone up without payment in advance.
- We as a club host a tournament each year, parents are expected to help host this event by volunteering in any needed area. If you are unable to volunteer you will be asked to pay a $50 fee by Jan. 23rd. We try to accommodate the parents so that you won’t miss your wrestler’s matches. Our open/novice tournament this year will be Saturday, February 2, 2019.