2018 BYA Coaches Guide
Download a copy of the 2018 BYA Coaches Guide HERE.
Child Abuse Clearances & Background Check Info
Due to recent laws passed in the state of Pennsylvania, the process for obtaining the clearances required to coach in the BYA is as follows. The Criminal Background Check and Child Abuse Clearance are free. The FBI Fingerprint has a fee, but is only required if you have not lived in PA for 10 years.
- Criminal Background Check (https://epatch.state.pa.us/Home.jsp) - use the 'New Record Check (Volunteers Only)' link. Enter your personal information and print out a paper copy of your clearance certificate. Criminal Background Checks must be submitted each year and be valid for the year in which you will be coaching.
- Child Abuse Clearances (https://www.compass.state.pa.us/cwis/public/home) - if you've applied for child abuse clearances in the past you can access your account and print your clearance certificate. If you haven't applied in the past, you must first create an account and print your clearance certificate after entering your personal information. Child abuse clearances are valid for 5 years after original request. If you've obtained a child abuse clearance within the past 5 years, you don't have to apply for a new one. But you do have to provide a printed copy of your child abuse clearance to the BYA.
- FBI Fingerprint (https://www.pa.cogentid.com/index_dpw.htm) - only required if you have not lived in PA for 10 years.
All coaches and assistant coaches in all BYA divisions are required to turn in their clearances to a league director or BYA board member prior to the start of the season. No exceptions.
These are Pennsylvania requirements for ALL volunteers who work with children. Our league fully supports the efforts to protect our players and their families.
Coaches Letter to Parents
Below is a template that you can use to contact your team parents. Please be sure to change the [fields in red] before sending. You can copy and paste the text below directly into an email or download a copy of the letter here (right click and choose Save Link As).
My name is [Coach's Name], and I will be coaching the [Team Name] team in the BYA [division, i.e. Tee-Ball, Rookie, 8U, 10U] division this year. I am looking forward to a fun-filled season where the kids will improve their skills as well as learn the values of teamwork, sportsmanship and fair play. My goal is to create a positive, supportive environment so that every player, regardless of ability, has a great experience.
Please note that the emphasis in the BYA is not on winning, but on player development and having fun. In our younger divisions we don't even keep score or keep track of outs. My primary goal this season is to make sure every player wants to return to the BYA next season. With that said, all players will play all positions and bat in various positions in the lineup. I plan to treat all players fairly and reward positive attitude, hustle and improvement over natural ability.
Here are a few important notes to be aware of:
- Please try to arrive about 15 minutes early to games. This allows us to keep our games running on time and allows me to get the kids warmed up before game time.
- If you're going to miss a game or practice, please try to let me know in advance.
- Please write your player names on hats and all equipment.
- We love parent volunteers! Don't worry if you don't have experience or if you can't commit full-time. We can always find something for you to do. Contact me if you'd like to help out.
- Weather related cancellations will be communicated by the league via e-mail as early as possible on game days. We typically don't cancel games due to the threat of rain.
- The most up-to-date information on league activities, schedules, contact info, etc. can be found at www.BadenYouth.org. We also post a lot of information on our Facebook page.
Here are some important upcoming dates:
- Saturday, April 7, 2018, 10:00am - BYA Field Day - we usually get a big turnout of parent volunteers to help us prep the fields for the spring season. The league will be sending more info soon.
- Sunday, April 8, 2018, 12:30pm - 2:30pm @ Baden McDonald's (Ohio River Blvd.) - Meet Your Coach Event and uniform distribution. Please stop by and say hello.
- Monday, April 9, 2018 - pre-season practices will begin this week. I'll be in touch soon with specific practice dates & times for our team.
- April 14 - April 15, 2018 - individual and team pictures will be held this weekend. The league will be communicating specific dates and times for pictures soon.
- Saturday, April 28, 2018 - OPENING DAY!
I am expecting to have a great season and know I will enjoy coaching your children. Please feel free to contact me at any time with any questions or concerns you might have. My contact information is below.
[Coach phone number]
Dugout Captain Intro to Coaching Videos
The BYA is excited to partner with Dugout Captain which allows us to bring consistency to player development in all age groups. Please watch the videos below for a brief intro to Dugout Captain and practice planning.
Download the Dugout Captain practice planning spreadsheet HERE.
We also encourage all Rookie, 8U and 10U coaches to take a look at the Dugout Captain videos below.