Pop Warner football has been around since the inception of the league in 1929 by founder Joseph J. Tomlin as a four-team conference in Northeast Philadelphia.
Since then, participation has steadily increased to today's record numbers. Over 250,000 youths participated in Pop Warner-sanctioned football programs in 2010, and those numbers are continuing to grow.
Kids compete with kids of similar age and size. Pop Warner is the ONLY youth football program (local, regional and national) that sets and enforces a strict AGE & WEIGHT MATRIX that reduces the risk and reality of injuries.
Did you know that Pop Warner football is safer than soccer? Pop Warner football has 12% fewer injuries per capita among 5-15 year olds than organized soccer in the same age range! (U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, NEISS)
WHY THERE ARE NO PERSONAL STATISTICS:
Pop Warner exists to use football, cheerleading, dance and a respect for education to develop strong, smart, responsible, healthy young men and women. We give them experiences that build their appreciation for and understanding of leadership, teamwork, and discipline.
While individual statistics may be more common, particularly among older football players, Pop Warner only recognizes the athletic accomplishments of the team, not the individual. We don't track personal tallies of touchdowns or yards rushing per game. We don't count sacks or blocked kicks. We applaud the athletic efforts of the team to reinforce the importance of teamwork, with each member.
We don't try to build stars. We don't want to over-inflate a young ego, nor do we want to risk injuring the self-esteem of a young person. Whether our kids have good days or bad, they are still an integral part of our team…and always will be.
2017 HEAD COACHES
TINY MITE - MIKE SALERNO
MITEY MITE - JEFF BIGELOW
JUNIOR PEE WEE - BART DIXON
PEE WEE - STEVE YOUTZY
JUNIOR VARSITY - OPEN
VARSITY - OPEN
Thank you for signing your child up for the 2017 Pop Warner North Port Mustangs season of tackle football and cheer. If you haven’t yet there is still time. Below are just a few updates and reminders that you will need to know. Please be sure to always check the website npmustangs.com or our facebook page north port mustangs.
Original birth certificates will be ready for pick up at any sign up date located on the website or at parent orientation. If you need it earlier please email me at E_MAMALIS@YAHOO.COM
Although all paperwork needs to be turned in by August 1st to be able to take the field we ask you to PLEASE turn it all in by or at the parent orientation as the football and cheer books take a lot of time to complete.
Final payments need to be made by August 1st, if you have any questions about this at parent orientation. Please see Jen Wolfe or email her at northportdental@gmailcom
· Keep a copy of your child’s last report card with all 4 quarters on it. This will need to be turned in by August 1st. You may bring it to any of our sign ups as well.
· Teams are filling up fast so tell all your friends to sign up
Practice starts August 1st your coaches will be contacting you times and practice location on the field as soon as we can. REMEMBER WE DO PRACTICE 5 DAYS A WEEK FOR A SHORT TIME AS REQUIRED BY POP WARNER FOR THE SAFETY OF OUR KIDS
We hope to get an accurate game schedule the first week of practice.
· Cheer cost include- bow, bloomers, cheer shorts, cheer shirt, competition shoes, use of game and competition uniforms, and the cheer off at Germain Arena in October. Regional and National dates will be released at your individual team parent meeting after August 1st.
· Football cost includes- certified equipment including, helmet, shoulder pads, game pants(thigh, knee, pads) or integrated pants, mouth piece, and a game jersey that you get to keep.
· Questions for cheer please email KELLY SPEEK AT firstname.lastname@example.org
· Questions for football please email MIKE SALERNO AT email@example.com
We look forward to a fun filled season and thank you for choosing the North Port Mustangs.