- Umpires needed! Contact Rick Fleener (firstname.lastname@example.org or 515-371-9633)
The Mid-Iowa Baseball League
CLICK HERE for the structure of the 45+ Double-Elimination Tournament that began on Monday, September 17.
Registration is now open for the 2018 Fall League. If you are interested in playing this fall, please complete the FALL LEAGUE SIGN-UP FORM. This form will now cover the final registration, waiver & player fees. Some general information:
**DEADLINE TO SIGN UP: MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 17
**Sunday Games begin September 23 & will be played through mid-October.
**$52 entry fee (Processing fee included.)
Managers will reach out to players after the September 17 deadline with hat & jersey details as well. (Plan to play September 23rd.)
Contact Derek Welt for more information (734-516-9320).
Grays capture 45+ Regular Season
The Grays, led by manager John Linden, secured their first regular season league title since 2013, and third overall, by defeating the Reds 14-2 in the final game of the 45+ regular season.
Reds win 2nd consecutive 25+ Division Title, Oaks win 4th straight 25+ Tournament Title
The Newton Reds captured their 2nd consecutive 25+ Regular Season title with an 11-1 record. Having dropped a 3-1 decision to the Oaks earlier in the year, the Reds took the title by sweeping a doubleheader from the Oaks (10-2) on the last weekend of league play.
Back Row, L-R: Will Scholer, Sean Murphy, Justin DeVoe, Tony Bakeris, Trent Williams, Tyler Williams
Front Row, L-R: Jon Wiliams, Michael McGonegle, Bobby Williams, Shawn Palmer, Bret Jacobs, Randy Johnson, Turner Williams
On Sunday, August 26th, the Oaks avenged the losses from a week earlier by winning a 6-5 affair in the tournament championship game.
Thunder Win 3rd Straight Division Title, Capture 1st Tourney Title
On Sunday, August 19, the Des Moines Thunder captured their first postseason 18+ Division tournament title with an 11-6 victory over the Des Moines Cubs. Sean Roberts was named tournament MVP, going 3x5 with two doubles, 4 RBI, 3 walks & one run scored. Trey Cook picked up the win in the title game, improving to 8-0 with 56K & finishing with a 0.69 ERA on the season.
Back row, L-R: Bob Thornton (MGR), Joseph Monosmith, Trey Cook, Gaige Thompson, Dalton Heick, Sean Roberts, Chad Osler
Front row, L-R: Drew Otto, Todd Smith, Ryan Kramer, David Thornton, Troy Dubay
The Des Moines Thunder, led by manager Bob Thornton, recently secured their 3rd straight 18+ Division title, finishing the regular season 11-1. Notable performers included Trey Cook (7-0 record, 46.1 IP, 0.39 ERA, 49K) & Mike Eckhart (.500 avg, 2 HR, 15 RBI, .634 OBP).
Back row, L-R: Bob Thornton (MGR), Dalton Heick, Mike Eckhart, Gaige Thompson, Trey Cook, Sean Roberts, Chad Osler
Front row, L-R: Nolan Monthei, Drew Otto, David Thornton, Corey Rasmussen, Ryan Kramer
Not pictured: Troy Dubay, Cole Jackson, Joseph Monosmith, Cole Scieszinski, Todd Smith, Skylar Thornton, Wes Volk
CONGRATULATIONS GRANDVIEW LITTLE LEAGUE!!!
A big congratulations needs to be extended to a couple league members affiliated with the Grandview Little League as they advanced to represent the Midwest in the 2018 Little League World Series in Williamsport, Pennsylvania.
Head Coach, Matt Kunert, is currently with the 45+ Yankees (previously with 35+ Cubs, 18+ Dodgers & others)
Assistant Coach, Josh Stewart, is currently with the 30+ Cubs & has been a long-time, valuable member/manager in our league.
Both had boys on the team, Kobe Kunert & Alex Stewart.
The boys were highly competitive in Williamsport, losing a couple tough games. Finishing with a 1-2 record, they were eliminated from advancing on Monday, August 20th. However, they all return to Des Moines with a lifetime of memories. Congratulations again!
Start Times/Game Length
Scenario A: Teams are late/slow to take field
- Game starts at 7:35, End time is 9:30
- Game starts at 1:05, End time is 3:30
With Scenario A, umpires should be ready and take charge. Manager meeting 10 minutes prior to game time, home team to take field 5 minutes prior to game time.
Scenario B: Umpires are late or delay due to field issue
- Game starts at 7:35, End time is 9:35
- Game starts at 1:05, End time is 3:35
With Scenario B, get started as soon as possible.
Scenario C: Umpires/Teams are ready to go
- Game starts at 7:28, End time is 9:30
- Game starts at 12:58, End time is 3:30
With Scenario C, do not sit around waiting for the start time to reach the top or bottom of the hour. A few minutes of "extra" baseball won't hurt anyone.
- Ideally, the league would like to complete 9 innings in a 2.5 hour game and a minimum of 7 innings in a 2-hour game. This should be the ultimate goal of all players, managers & umpires.
- It is up to the umpires to keep the pace of play moving to deter stall tactics that sometimes will arise due to our time constraints.
- Pitchers get a maximum of 8 warm-up tosses from the mound prior to the start of an inning. If more is needed, this should be done in the bullpen or in another area prior to taking the field.
- A new inning starts at the very second the last out is recorded in the previous inning. (If the home team is batting & the last out is recorded at 9:29, a new inning starts at 9:29.)
Please read Local Rules 2.a-L through 2.i-L
Here is a summary of contents:
- 2.a-L provides detail on suspended games (weather, field issue, etc)
- 2.b-L provides detail on run-rules
- 2.c-L-1 provides detail on rescheduling (to avoid forfeits)
- 2.e-L provides detail on teams short players at game start
- 2-f-L provides detail on game start time (detailed above)
- 2-g-L provides detail on home & away designation. It is currently a gentlemen's agreement that the home team takes the 3rd base dugout and the away team takes the 1st base dugout.
- 2-h-L provides detail on timely score submission (this has been an issue recently; timely submission allows an accurate look for any necessary future schedule changes)
- 2-i-L provides detail on standings & tiebreakers
If teams are having issues with umpires or umpires are having issues with teams, please contact your League President, Umpire Director or Commissioner.
Online Registration 2018
ROSTERS as of 8/1/18.
All teams are paid in full. The link above with all rosters may or may not be updated going forward. Team pages should list current, active rosters. ALL players must be registered & waivered before taking the field.
All payment options have been turned off. Any new players simply need to register & complete the online waiver in order to participate in 2018. Find your specific team registration by clicking on "Pages" on the menu above for the Online Registration Page, or CLICK HERE to be redirected.
Umpires are needed. Please contact our umpire director, Rick Fleener, at (515) 371-9633.
Players...you can umpire! You could be scheduled to umpire games outside of your division. If you are looking for additional income & to see the game from a different perspective, get on board!
IRS FORM W9 - UMPIRES
Mid-Iowa Baseball Umpires,
As of January 1, 2018, the Mid-Iowa Baseball League was informed that it's umpires must file IRS form 1099-Misc for any amounts earned from the Organization for services rendered over $600.00 in total for a calendar year.
Steps for you, as an umpire, to take:
1. Fill out IRS FORM W9 provided by MIBL on the website along with instructions FORM W9 INSTRUCTIONS
2. Return W9 to a board member. Or, you can email to: email@example.com
3. File 1099-Misc when received from the league.
It is critical that any umpire planning to work games for MIBL in 2018 complete and return their W9 ASAP. In order to be paid in 2018, this form must first be on file.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Hall of Fame Inductees - 2018 Class
We present the 2018 Mid-Iowa Baseball Hall of Fame Class:
Rick Fleener, Jason Ickowitz, Mike Ray, Clay Rickert, Chris Tidwell, Jerry Wright
2007 Father/Son Iowa Cubs (National Champions in Phoenix)
2014 35+ Des Moines Bruins (National Champions in Florida)
2017 25+ Des Moines Bruins (National Champions in Phoenix)
We enjoyed an evening of celebration, inducting these teams & individuals, at The Cub Club on Friday, May 11th.
Please continue to nominate anyone affiliated with the league that you feel is worthy of this honor. Even if you believe a contributor has already been nominated, feel free to provide your opinion why you believe the contributor is worthy. HOF NOMINATION FORM
League Page on Facebook & Twitter
Please like us on Facebook! We hope to utilize our League's Facebook page more often this year, especially to pass along information regarding rainouts and league activities. The Facebook button at the lower left of this homepage will take you to our League page on Facebook. The following link will take you to the Facebook page of our National organization, Men's Senior Baseball.
Follow us on Twitter too: @midiowabaseball
MSBL Sports Store Specials
Click here for the current specials at MSBL Sports Store, available to all league members.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday’s success or put its failures behind and start over again. That’s the way life is, with a new game every day, and that’s the way baseball is.” – Bob Feller
“You have to have a lot of little boy in you to play baseball for a living.” – Roy Campanella