North Hamilton Basketball League
Article I – Purpose
To operate a well-organized youth basketball program for the North Hamilton County Elementary Schools for children in grades 2-5. This league will provide high quality games where good sportsmanship and fair play are stressed.
Article II – Season
Tryouts for the 2014 season will be the week of October 13 and practices can start on Monday, October 20, 2014. Apart from the 2 tryout sessions, no team is allowed to practice until Monday, October 20, 2014. Games will begin with the Jamboree on November 22nd and the league will finish with a single elimination tournament in February.
Article III – Coaches
1) Coaches (including assistants) must be (21) years of age. All coaches must apply to and be approved by the Board of Directors. This approval will come after a background check has been cleared. After approval, the coach and all other league personnel will be responsible to the League’s Board of Directors. The Directors may immediately remove a coach from the program for not following league rules or policies or for any conduct unbecoming of a coach.
2) Coaches are responsible for their own conduct, their player’s conduct, and the conduct of the fans from their school.
3) Only two (2) coaches per team are allowed, one head coach and one assistant. Two coaches plus one team statistician (student) are permitted on the team bench during a game. No other persons are allowed on the team bench. Referees shall strictly enforce this rule. Only one coach can be standing up on the sidelines while a game is in progress.
4) Coaches must possess leadership ability and know how to work with children, developing teamwork, sportsmanship, discipline, and teaching the fundamental and basic skills of basketball. All coaches must be an employee of the Hamilton County Schools or attend the coaches training session that is offered by NHBL.
5) Coaches receiving a technical foul in a game for unsportsmanlike conduct shall be penalized as follows:
1st technical foul - coach shall self report technical to someone on the Board of Directors to be logged in Director’s Book.
2nd technical foul – 1 game suspension (to be served following game)
3rd technical foul – coach shall be suspended from the league for the remainder of the season, including post season tournament.
** Any coach that is ejected from a game must serve at least a one game suspension. The coach must be reinstated by the board before he/she can coach again in the NHBL.
Article IV – Players
1. Age limitations: A child may not turn 12 years old before August 1, 2014 and be eligible to participate in the 4th and 5th grade league. The age limit for the 3rd grade league is 10 years old before August 1, 2014.
2. Number of Teams per School: Each school may have four (4) teams
* 4th & 5th boys
* 4th & 5th girls
* 2nd & 3rd boys
* 2nd & 3rd girls
3. Team Rosters: Prior to the first regular season game, the Official Roster Form must be submitted to League Officials. Each school must carry 9 players on their roster unless they have spoken with the Board of Directors. If a team has less than the minimum number of players present at (2) or more regular season games, the team will not be allowed to participate in the end of the season tournament. After the 2nd game of the season is played, no additions can be made to the roster.
FAILURE TO SUBMIT ROSTER BEFORE SEASON BEGINS WILL MAKE THE TEAM INELIGIBLE FOR SEASON.
4. Player’s Eligibility Policy: All players must register and play at the school they attend. To be eligible to participate in this league, the student must receive passing grades in the reporting period prior and during basketball season. Players who are failing in (2) or more subjects will be ineligible until grades improve.
5. Player behavior/technical fouls: Players should seriously accept the responsibility and privilege of representing their school by displaying good sportsmanship at all times. Failure to abide by the rules and displaying unsportsmanlike behavior is not acceptable. If a child receives a technical foul for unsportsmanlike behavior or conduct during a game, the penalties will be as follows:
1st technical foul of the season – Players must be removed from game for one full quarter (6 minutes of play) and coach must report to league officials to be logged in Director’s Book.
2nd technical foul of the season –Suspension for the remainder of the game and for the entire game following the game in which the child receives a technical foul for unsportsmanlike behavior or conduct.
3rd technical foul of the season – Suspension for the remainder of the season and post season tournament.
The technical foul rule does not apply to technical fouls that might occur which do not involve unsportsmanlike behavior or conduct.
Participation in other programs/leagues: Players on a school roster and playing in this league cannot participate in any other league or basketball program. If a player violates this rule by playing for another league, they shall be ineligible for the remainder of the season and tournament. Coaches are responsible for notifying the parents/guardians of this rule.
Article V – Games
1. Games will consist of four (4) six (6) minute quarters in the 4th & 5th grade league and four(4) five (5) minute quarters in the 2nd & 3rd grade league. The first game will start promptly as scheduled. NO GRACE PERIOD! If time allows, five (5) minutes between games and four (4) minutes for halftime. Overtime will last two (2) minutes with game resulting in a tie during regular season if score is tied after 1st overtime. Post Season Tournament games must determine a winner for each game.
2. All players must wear gym shoes.
3. All games will be played with a Women’s Basketball (28.5)
4. Players waiting to play the next game are to be seated in the bleachers until time for their game. Stay off the floor!
5. Each team participant should wear jerseys identical in color and trim with a minimum of four (4) inch numbers on the front and the back of uniform.
6. Five (5) fouls disqualifies a player from a game.
7. Free Throw Line – The free thrower must remain behind the free throw line until the ball hits the rim but all other players are free to move once the ball releases the free throwers hand. 2nd & 3rd grade league will shoot from 12 foot line.
8. Time Outs: Four (4) time outs allowed per game. (2) 30 second timeouts and (2) full 60 second timeouts are allotted. One (1) extra timeout is allowed for each overtime.
9. Defensive Pressure Rules
4th & 5th Boys - 1-3 quarters (Half Court) 4th quarter - (last 3 minutes full court)
4th & 5th Girls -1-2 quarters (3 point arch) 3rd quarter (half court) 4th quarter (last 3 minutes full court)
2nd & 3rd Boys & Girls 1-2 quarters (3 point arch) 3rd quarter (half court) 4th quarter - (last 2 minutes full court)
* Any team that purposely uses the defensive pressure rules to stall the ball during the first half will be issued (1st violation) warning (2 violation) Defensive team will be allowed to pressure the offense half court for the remainder of the half.
10. Full Court Pressing: Both teams may press with less than 3 minutes remaining in the 4th quarter of a game if the teams are within ten points of each other in the 4th & 5th grade league. If a team is ahead by ten points or more in the 4th quarter, they are not allowed to press. The team that is trailing by ten or more may still press. In the 2nd & 3rd grade league, only the last 2 minutes of the 4th quarter are teams allowed to press.
** Coaches should use discretion and refrain from running the score up. There are numerous ways to accomplish this and show good sportsmanship.**
11. All players must play a full uninterrupted quarter when they enter the game. NO SUBS in the 1st quarter! Failure to play each player at least one full uninterrupted quarter will result in a forfeiture of the game. All players listed in the score book MUST play one uninterrupted quarter. A coach may substitute freely but must comply with this rule.
Exception: If a player gets injured, sick, or fouls out of the game.
12. Individual Awards - Awards are given to 4th & 5th grade leaders in points, rebounds, and steals. Coaches should never leave a player in a game to just increase his/her stats. We give individual awards to recognize outstanding accomplishments but not to encourage running up the score in blowout games. Failure to show good sportsmanship in this area will result in a warning to the coach (1st offense) or suspension of the coach (2nd offense)
13. The NHBL adheres to all TSSAA basketball rules.
Height of the Goal:
4th & 5th Grade 10 foot
2nd & 3rd Grade 9 foot