OhioValley Youth Baseball League
Official Amended Rules
2018 Pony Division
Ohio Valley Youth Baseball League
Official Amended Rules
2018 Pony Division
The OVYBL has elected to become an "and Under" league in light of Pony’s decision to remove the verbage of "traditional" and "and under" from their official rule book. This means that it is legal within the OVYBL to roster players on teams that are above their appropriate age group. Example of this is as follows: A 11 year old can be rostered on a Pony team . Failure to comply with this rule may result in harsh consequences (forfeiture of games played with illegal players, expulsion from OVYBL).
We have adopted the new Pony Age requirements, Bat Requirements and Pitchsmart:
- Pitchsmart violations will result in Coach being suspended 1 game following violation
- USAbat rule violations will result in player as well as coach being ejected and suspended 1 game following ejection
- Pony Age Requirement violations will result in player being suspended for the season
We have adopted new Pony Age guidelines with below exception:
We will Grandfather 8th Graders with Birthdates between May 1st & August 31st, 2003 to be permitting to play Pony Baseball during the 2018 regular season. Motion was voted on and passed unanimously by Voting organizations. This was done in an effort to not leave any 8th graders left out from having an opportunity to play baseball with the new age rules. This is for only the 2018 regular season and we will revisit and review after season.
1. Any runner must either slide OR avoid contact with a fielder who has the baseball; and is waiting to apply a tag. "If no contact is made between the runner and the defensive player, then the runner is safe." Head first slides are permitted.
2. Any player who initiates malicious contact shall be ejected from the game. The ejected player
Is declared out unless he has already scored.
3. No steel or any metal spikes permitted for player cleats.
4. There shall be a 2 ½ hour time limit on all games when another game is scheduled to follow.
Any game that is tied shall be finished before the next game starts. The time begins with the first pitch. Any inning that has started before the time limit ends shall be completed. No inning shall start prior to 10 minutes before the end of the time limit.
5. All pitching rules are regulated by Pitchsmart (Please review as instructed on Home Plate)
- Call Ups into higher divisions cannot pitch in those games
- Scorekeepers must confirm counts after every inning and at conclusion of games
- Once a pitcher starts a batter he may finish that batter, no matter pitch count
- At regular season end pitch counts will not restart for playoff
- If caught not following these rules the game could result in a forfeit
- When submitting lineups please use at minimum last name and number which will help when entering pitch counts
- For any clarification on the Pitch Smart rules and required rest, go to www.Pitchsmart.org
- Pitcher may not re-enter as a pitcher
- If a Pitcher is used illegally the coach will be suspended 1 game.
6. Coaches are required to sign opposing teams score book, verifying pitch counts, following game. In the case of a protest, both books must also be signed with umpire.
7. Every player, except the EH, must play 2 consecutive innings, 6 outs, in the field and bat 1 time.
8. You may use an EH (Extra Hitter). You must declare this prior to the start of the game. Since the rule defines the selected player as an "extra hitter" that does not play 2 defensive innings. If the EH is injured and unable to play, the EH can be replaced by a sub. If there are no subs to replace the EH, an out will be called in the EH’s spot in the batting order. The EH can be subbed once for another EH but neither can play in the field once designated.
9. You may call a player up from the next younger division if you need to. This player may start,
only if your team does not have enough of it’s roster players. You must play this player at least
2 innings and 1 at-bat, and call up shall not play more than rostered players. Call ups shall not be used if you have 10 or more roster players in your lineup.
10. Players to Start Game- teams can start with 8 players, taking an out in you lineup for the missing 9th player. If 9th player arrives during the game, he can be added in the designated spot of the "out" in teams lineup. In the case of injury during game, there will be no penalty.
11. Re-Entry Rule – Batters 1 through 4 must re-enter in there original spot in the batting order.
Batters 5 through 9 can re-enter anywhere 5 through 9 in the batting order. Only starters may
re-enter the game. They can not re-enter until their substitute has played 6 defensive outs. Non- starters can NOT re-enter unless there is an injury and there are no eligible substitute players on
12. There may be no more than 4 coaches in the dugout at a time. If so, the umpire will ask excessive coaches to leave. Only the head coach or their designate, if the head coach is ejected or not present, may approach the umpire.
13. All ejections (player or coach) will result in a 1 game suspension from OVYBL games.
14. There is to be no bench jockeying. All chatter is to be directed to your own team. There will be one team warning given. Any subsequent violation will result in an ejection of the violating player or coach.
15. The use of Reflective batting helmets, although not illegal within the scope of the Pony Rule Book, is strongly discouraged within the OVYBL. Upon the discretion of the umpire, players wearing this type of helmet may be asked to remove the helmet from play if deemed a distraction.
16. No-Pitch Intentional Walks: In the event a team decides to intentionally walk a batter, no pitches shall be thrown. Instead, the coach shall signal to the home plate umpire with four fingers, and the batter should proceed to first base to become a runner.
17. The use of Reflective batting helmets, although not illegal within the scope of the Pony Rule Book, is strongly discouraged within the OVYBL. Upon the discretion of the umpire, players wearing this type of helmet may be asked to remove the helmet from play if deemed a distraction.
18. Bat ruling per Pony: Must have USABat These changes occurred as a result of new testing protocols developed for all 2 1/4" and 2 5/8" bats with the exception of the -3 BBCOR which already exists. All bats must have the USABat licensing stamp on them. Bats used in prior years will be illegal in 2018. If an illegal bat is used the player will be ejected.
19. At the conclusion of every game the Winning Team shall report the scores and pitch counts into the website. This should be handled within 24 hours and is easily done by phone if needed.
20. Re-Scheduling games: Home team has 48 hours to offer 3 options in which opposing team has no games. Once offered Away team has 48 hours to commit. If either doesn’t happen that team forfeits. If I hear nothing after a week has gone and either team has contacted me to change, both teams will get loss. Also in this case the website must be updated as postponed or other.
Playoffs will be determined by record, head to head, points against, points for