BOSTON AMATEUR BASEBALL LEAGUE
COLFORD DIVISION RULES FOR 2017 SEASON
The Colford Division plays according to the same rules governing the Doubleday Division, with the following exceptions:
1) Whenever the written rule (as stated below) is in conflict with the intent of the rule, the intent will be enforced.
2) Teams must have eight players for an official game to begin; if a ninth player arrives he must be inserted into the game immediately and must be added to the batting order in the ninth spot. If a team has less than eight players at game time a 15 minute grace period will be allowed, if at the end of the 15 minutes the eighth player has not arrived the game shall be deemed a forfeit.
2A) Pitcher's must throw four balls out of the strike zone to intentionally walk an opposing batter.
3) Each manager will be able to bat as many players as he desires, with a minimum of nine. A manager may add batters to the bottom of his lineup at any time. Batters cannot be deleted or skipped over, regardless of their batting position or when they were added to the lineup. If a player is removed from the lineup he may re-enter the game only after his team has completed one rotation through its lineup and one defensive 1/2 inning. It is a manager's option to use an A/B alternating line-up.
3A) Pitchers do not have to bat regardless of when they enter the game (i.e. a Relief Pitcher enters the game, the preceding Pitcher remains in the game at EH or assumes a defensive position - the RP does not have to be added to the batting order). If a pitcher assumes another defensive position and is not already in the batting order he must now be added.
4) Each team is allowed to use three courtesy runners during a game (they must be announced before the game begins). A batter using a Courtesy Runner cannot be thrown out at first base on a batted ball that reaches the outfield grass, the batter may be thrown out at first base as part of a double play on a ball that reaches the OF grass. The CR may not steal (nor be part of a double steal) but he may advance on any pitched ball that hits the ground. In the event of a pick-off attempt by the pitcher or catcher the CR must return to the base he occupies - if the ball hits the ground on the pick-off attempt the CR may then advance to the next base (at his own peril), if the ball does not hit the ground and it beats the CR to the base he is returning to the CR is out - NO TAG NECESSARY!!!
5) All games shall be 7 innings with a 2 hour-45 minute time limit (or shorter where other imposed time limits exist beyond the league's control; no inning can start 2 hours-45 minutes after the scheduled starting game time). An official game shall be called if the game has completed 4 innings (or 3 1/2 if the home team is leading). The umpire fees for games is $80.00 per team per game per umpire .
6) To be eligible to participate in post-season play a player must be registered on a team’s roster by August 1, 2017, and the player must appear in 7 of that team’s games (an appearance is one full half inning played at a defensive position or one AB or one batter pitched to until the completion of the batter's AB ). Players who do not qualify for post season play due to extended illness or injury may seek a waiver from the league.
6A) Initial team rosters are due by May 1, final rosters are due by July 15.
7) Immediately after each game, each manager is required to post the final score and lineup for his team of the game just played to the website (these will be used to record player participation for post-season play). Managers must give their opponent a lineup including players last names... Each manager is responsible to maintain an accurate recording of his team's player appearances on the website.
8) A player is eligible to play in the Boston Amateur Baseball League Fenway Division if he is 55 years old or older on or before December 31, 2017. All players are required to submit a copy of a photo ID, as proof of age, along with a waiver form before being allowed to participate in a BABL League game (proof of age is verified by a government issued photo ID – i.e. driver’s license, passport, etc.).
9) Each team is allowed three underage players - these players must turn 53 by Dec. 31, 2017 and are not allowed to pitch.