Halfway Little League
Halfway Little League was founded by in 1939, the original diamond was in the Park on York Road. The park doesn’t exist anymore, but the memories do. In the 1950’s Halfway Little League moved to Doub Road and became a chartered Little League baseball program in 1956. Doub Road has been since renamed Sterling Road. The land was the property of a farmer who allowed his land to be used for youth baseball. There was a Minor, Major and Senior League Field on the property. The Major League Field was named Burger Park, after the generous farmer. Some of the sponsors of that time reflect some of businesses that a lot of us grew up with, and are long gone. Burger Chef, Two Guys, Eichelberger Shell, Pizza Hut, Coffman Lumber, and the Herald Mail are a few sponsors from that era.
In 1982 Halfway Little League moved to Halfway County Park, now known as Marty Snook Park. The complex is now known as the Joseph E. Widmyer Complex had a Major, Minor, and Senior League field. Two years later the T-Ball field was added. Donald L. Gehr Builder/Contractor was an original sponsor at the new park, and is still supporting the league along with another original sponsor, Charles A. Gibney Florist.
During the nineties Halfway Little League won three District One championships. The first one was 1991 and we are starting to see this team come back now to coach their kids at Halfway Little League. The second two were at the end of the decade, 1998 and 1999. These two teams were led by Nick Adenhart a hard throwing right hander that left many players walking back to the dugout in confusion on how to go about getting the bat on the ball. Nick went 9-0 during that two year run and kept getting better threw high school and in 2008 found himself on the mound starting for the Anaheim Angels in the Major Leagues. Nick was taken from us on April 9, 2009, decades too soon. Halfway Little League rededicated the Major League field in Nick’s honor. Nick first began to gain notoriety as a special player on this field, now known as The Nicholas James Adenhart Memorial Field. We will never forget Nick’s fastball or his infectious laugh.
In 2010 Halfway Little League returned to their winning ways by winning their first Maryland District One Little League championship in eleven years.
In 2012 Halfway Little League added Fast Pitch Girls Softball to their program. It was a great success, not only did the kids and parents have a wonderful time but the girls rewarded all of the fans with a District Championship highlighted by an unforgettable nine inning game to clinch the championship.
So for 2013 and beyond we hope to improve our complex with many future projects and we hope you all come out to see us and watch some high quality baseball and softball!