Last Updated: September 24, 2016
August 24, 2016
GCYL Coaches and Coordinators;
As we begin the GCYL’s seventh year of play, the guiding principles of the league remain the same and should always be held to the highest regard for our kids, families and parish programs.
1. Catholic Based – Live it and exhibit it
2. True nonprofit with complete transparency
3. A league dedicated to young people who participate in it. An organization to provide structure and fairness to the schools who are affiliated
4. Committed to supporting and preserving parish programs of all sizes under one league entity city wide
5. A league governed by an elected board of officials who provide each parish an opportunity to offer suggestions to change for the betterment of the kids who play in it.
6. Commitment to support parish booster organizations that presently do not have programs with an eye on creating parish based football opportunities for potential players
7. Recognition of existing established programs in good standing with their existing leagues - NO ONE will be excluded
8. GCYL is committed to providing an exceptional experience for our parish families
This weekend sets in motion 11 weeks of some of the best football the state of Ohio has to offer. We as leaders and coaches have the ultimate responsibility to ensure the league’s vitality is upheld to the highest priority. All of us must take an active role to secure the future of our league by supporting the spirit of what we believe it should stand for. Anything that violates our vision has no place in our league!
We ask that all coaches take the time to understand the importance of game day preparation by reviewing the guidelines on the attached document as well as the policies agreed on by the 24 members of the league in May. Also attached is an updated coach’s contact list for every level of play. It is IMPORTANT for all host programs to reach out prior to the weeks match ups with information on;
1. Confirmation of game times only if changed
2. Parking (maybe a map of facilities?)
3. Gate fee’s if you charge or not
4. Concessions – will they be open or not? NOTE: we need to make sure that our visitors are supporting the host programs concession in 2016. In the past programs have brought food or had it delivered to the parking lot. This is unacceptable and not in the spirit of supporting our programs in the GCYL. Host programs are responsible for providing common expected menu including cold drinks on hot days.
5. Early Weigh in’s – Scale Location and earliest times players can weigh in. We need to improve this communication for 2015 between programs. (please read over early weigh in rules on the website)
6. Warm Up Area’s for the visitors
7. Visitor’s sidelines – where do you want the opposing team’s parents located during the games.
8. Communicate if this visiting teams plan on purchasing team drinks after the game at a discounted rate. Most programs due with advanced notice
These instructions may seem extensive; however the game day event will be benefiting our families if the coordinators take the time to communicate thoroughly with all the visiting coaches at each level.
Other area’s to make sure you are prepared for;
· Prayer is absolutely required before every game!
· Make sure all referee fees are prepared prior to kick off the game $72.00 per game per team. See you coordinator for details on fees.
· Please make sure your scale is calibrated properly
· Make sure field markers and chains are at the field prior to the start of the earliest game
· Game Ball Restrictions will be enforced this year for only Leather material.
· Chain Crews will be provided by the home teams including games at neutral sites
· Announcing is subject to availability of sound system. At neutral sites the host facility will provide
Officiating – all head coaches should introduce themselves to the official’s prior to the game. All coaches need to respect the work of every referee regardless in all circumstances. It’s the head coach’s responsibility to manage the sidelines and the behavior of the other coaches and players.
Rosters; if you would like a copy of an opponent’s roster please send a request to your coordinator.
Good Luck throughout the rest of the season
•Saturday/Sunday, August 27/28th – start of regular season
•Friday September 9th - All rosters finalized (no additions)
•Saturday/Sunday, October 22/23rd - Start of playoffs
•Saturday/Sunday, November 5/6th - GCYL Championships
For a complete schedule listing, click here!