USL Skills Challenge
This season Universal Sports League LaVergne is excited to announce a Skills Challenge to Be held on tournament day to those who wish to participate. Players will showcase their dribbling, shooting and rebounding skills.
Players wishing to participate will complete a release form and pay entry fee of $5.00
Rules for Skills Challenge:
To challenge participants to zig-zag dribble through cones, speed dribble, shoot, rebound, and to score as many points as possible by making shots from designated shooting spots in 1 minute.
The participant concludes the one (1) minute competition with one (1) free throw for bonus points.
• Each participant competes one at a time against the stopwatch.
• Each participant begins with one basketball in hand and both feet behind and to the right of the designated starting cone
• The participant begins when the timer yells “GO” or blows the whistle. The participant ends when the timer yells “STOP” or blows the whistle after 1 minute has elapsed.
• If a participant false starts, the timer blows the whistle so the participant can return to the starting cone for another attempt.
• Participants begin the zig-zag dribble by dribbling past the first cone to the left.
• Participants MUST follow the zig-zag dribbling around each cone, followed up with the speed dribble, as outlined in the Competition Flow Diagram before any shot attempts are taken from designated shooting spots.
• Participants may begin the shooting portion from any shooting spot and may shoot in any order.
• Once a shot is taken, the participant must shoot from a different spot (a participant may not take consecutive shots from the same spot, make or miss).
• Participants must retrieve their own rebounds.
• Participants must dribble throughout the challenge, including after rebounding and upon returning to another shooting spot.
• A basket counts only if the ball is released before the timer yells “STOP”.
• After the 1 minute, each participant will shoot one free throw worth 3 points.
A three point penalty will be subtracted to participant’s final score for EACH violation. *AII ruIings made by the Court OfficiaI/Scorer are finaI.
• Double dribble
• Palming/Carrying the ball
If all skills are not followed in sequential order shown on the diagram: zig-zag dribble through all cones, speed dribble around cone, shooting attempts, and free throw bonus shot
• Each time a shot is made, the participant is awarded with the corresponding spot’s points.
• Three bonus points are awarded for a made free throw at the end of the 1 minute.
• A three point penalty will be subtracted from the participant’s final score for EACH violation.
• For the final score, add shots made, plus three bonus points if the free throw was made, minus any penalty points. SAMPLE SCORE SHEET