38+ Montgomery Div. Rules
BOSTON AMATEUR BASEBALL LEAGUE
RULES FOR 2020 SEASON
We play by Official Baseball League rules, with the following exceptions:
1) Whenever the written rule (as stated below) is in conflict with the intent of the rule, the intent will be enforced -
2) All teams must use the official league approved baseball. The home team will provide the first six balls; additional balls as needed will be shared equally by both teams.
3) All teams must wear reasonable uniforms for each game (each player must have his own, unique number on the back of his uniform shirt). Uniforms must be consistent with the standards of Official Baseball Rules. Team names must be that of Major or Minor League teams unless otherwise approved by the league. Team names may not be duplicated within the same division.
4) All batters, on-deck batters base runners and base coaches must wear helmets.
5) Metal cleats are permitted.
6) Only wood bats, including composites, are permitted (no metal bats allowed).
7) Teams must have eight players for an official game to begin; if a ninth player arrives he must be inserted into the game immediately and must be added to the batting order in the ninth spot. If a team has less than eight players at game time a 15 minute grace period will be allowed, if at the end of the 15 minutes the eighth player has not arrived the game shall be deemed a forfeit.
8) Each manager will be able to bat as many players as he desires, with a minimum of nine. A manager may add batters to the bottom of his lineup at any time. Batters cannot be deleted or skipped over, regardless of their batting position or when they were added to the lineup. If a player is removed from the lineup he may re-enter the game only after his team has completed one rotation through its lineup and one defensive 1/2 inning.
9) It is a manager's option to use an A/B alternating line-up. Batter's must alternate AB's during the course of the game, but either batter may run for the AB slot.. Player's 70 years old or older may not be thrown out at first base on a batted ball that reaches the outfield grass, but may be thrown out at first as part of a double/triple play. These batter's must be part of an AB slot.
9A) A/B runners are able to steal, advance on a PB/WP and in every way play as any other base occupant. In the event a Courtesy Runner is required for a player that is injured during the game the CR will be the last recorded out and he may lead from the base, but he may not steal or advance on a PB/WP.
10) If a player is forced to leave a game due to injury or prior commitment a reserve player not previously entered into the game as a hitter must hit in his place. If no reserve player is available, an eligible player may re-enter the game in his place (if no other player is available the vacated spot in the batting order is skipped over without penalty). If a player is ejected from a game, and there is no eligible player on the bench to replace him, an out is recorded every time his spot comes up in the batting order.
11) If a pitcher is removed and remains in the game at another defensive position, he may pitch again in the same game, but not in the same inning. Relief Pitchers entering the game are not required to pitch to three batters before being replaced.
12) All base runners must attempt to avoid a collision with fielders; players must slide, or give themselves up, at any base where there may be a play. The umpire may rule the runner out for not attempting to avoid a collision, and if ruled deliberate, he may eject the player from the game. Additionally, if in the umpire’s judgement, a double play could have been made, a double play may be awarded to the defensive team.
13) For safety reasons, there is no fake bunting (slashing). A batter must either bunt the ball or take the pitch. The batter will be called out if he fakes the bunt and then swings away.
14) Infielders are not allowed to decoy a throw or catch. If a decoy throw or catch is detected, all runners shall be allowed to advance one base beyond the base held after all play stops. If the same player decoys twice in the same game, the player shall be ejected from the game. Decoying is referred to as a false catch or throw done in attempt to get a player to slide unnecessarily.
15) If a pitcher hits four batters in one game he must be removed from pitching immediately after hitting the fourth batter; he may not re-enter the game as a pitcher.
16) No hidden ball trick allowed.
17) All games shall be 7 innings, with a three-hour time limit (no inning can start three hours after the scheduled starting game time). An official game shall be called if the game has completed 4 innings (or 3 1/2 if the home team is leading). The umpire fee for each games is $85.00 per umpire per game. The home team is responsible for paying the home plate umpire; the visiting team is responsible for paying the base umpire. Umpire fees are to be paid prior to the start of the game (in the event that only one umpire is available, he shall be paid a $120.00 fee - $60.00 by each team).
18) All games must be played according to the schedule. Games may not be re-scheduled without permission of the league President. Games cancelled due to inclement weather, light issues or other natural occurrences will be scheduled to be played at a later date by the league. Once the final league schedule has been confirmed, all teams are responsible to field a team for each assigned game. In the rare instance in which a game needs to be rescheduled, it is the manager’s responsibility to contact the league no less than 72 hours before the scheduled game. In this instance the team requiring a game to be rescheduled will be required to reimburse the league the amount of $75.00. If a manager notifies the league within the 72 hours, the game will be declared a forfeit.
19) Three forfeits by a team in one season may mean immediate expulsion from the league with no money refunded to the team, two forfeits will result in that team being eliminated from playoff eligibility (one forfeit during the playoffs will result in immediate elimination from the playoffs). The forfeiting team must pay both umpires before they will be allowed to play their next scheduled game(s) (the money may be paid to the league, who in turn will pay both umpires).
20) Final league standings will be determined by a point system – two points for a win, 1 point for a tie, 0 points for a loss.
21) Preliminary rosters are due at the April manager's meeting. Final rosters are due to the league on or before June 20th, 2020. Players who quit or are injured may be replaced after June 20 (but no additional players may be added to a roster after June 20). Replacement players placed on rosters after August 1st will not be eligible for post-season play.
22) To be eligible to participate in post-season play a player must be registered on a team’s roster by August 1, 2020, and the player must have played in 8 of that team’s games.
23) A player is eligible to play in the Boston Amateur Baseball League Montgomery Division if he is 38 years old or older on or before December 31, 2020. All players are required to submit a copy of a photo ID, as proof of age, along with a waiver form before being allowed to participate in a BABL League game (proof of age is verified by a government issued photo ID – i.e. driver’s license, passport, etc.).
24) Immediately after each game, each manager is required to post their lineup for the game just played to the website (these will be used to record player participation for post-season play). Managers must give their opponent a lineup including players last names... The roster update must take place within one week of a games final result. If you need help in doing this contact Paul Harrington.
25) Each team is allowed one designated hitter in accordance with Official Baseball Rules. A DH may only be used for a Pitcher all defensive position players (C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, CF, RF) must appear in the batting order. Pitchers do not have to bat regardless of when they enter the game (i.e. a Relief Pitcher enters the game, the preceding Pitcher remains in the game at EH or assumes a defensive position - the RP does not have to be added to the batting order). If a pitcher assumes another defensive position and is not already in the batting order he must now be added.
26) There will be no beer or alcoholic beverages permitted at the field before, during or after the game. The field refers to the general playing area and ancillary areas.
27) No player may switch teams during the season without the consent of both managers and approval by the league.
28) Players must have previous year’s debts paid before joining a new team.
29) The home team shall occupy the dugout of their choice. The visiting team shall start infield practice thirty-five minutes prior to the official game time. Each team shall have fifteen minutes to complete their infield practice (when and where time allows). The home team shall supply the bases for each game. Teams and managers are responsible for the upkeep of the fields and dugouts that are used throughout the season. Clean up your mess – leave the field cleaner than you found it – BE A GOOD NEIGHBOR!
30) Fighting before, during or after a game earns a six game suspension.
31) Striking an umpire earns at least a one year suspension (and possible expulsion) from the league, and forfeiture of any money paid to the league.
32) The league officers responsible for protests, rules interpretations or other concerns or grievances are – Greg Davis, Paul Harrington, Moe Gomez.
ADDITIONAL 2020 RULES: