General Info on Tournaments
1. All WSWL tournaments are on Sunday – cost is $16 per wrestler
2. Registration and Weigh-ins will happen on Wednesday (for Novice) and Thursday (for Experienced) during wrestling practice
a. Registration forms will be at practice for parents to complete and payment of $16 is due at the beginning of practice
b. If your wrestler is wrestling in the Sunday tournament, on Wednesday/Thursday during practice, your wrestler needs to be:
i. Wearing a singlet
ii. Have cut finger nails
iii. Coaches will do skin check and weigh-in during practice
c. As a side note… for the wrestlers that are not apart of WSWL, they will register and weigh-in at the hosting school on Saturday
3. All Sunday tournaments now have split time starts
a. Age group – 4, 8, 12 and elementary girls start at 9:00 am
b. Age group – 6, 10, 14 and middle school girls start at 1:00 pm
4. You are allowed to double bracket this year, however you can only move up an age group. Example: if your wrestler is 8 and under, they can wrestle in the 8 & under age group and the 10 & under age group (they are not allowed to move down an age group).
5. Weight Challenges – You can ask a coach to challenge another wrestler’s weight at the tournament – HOWEVER the fee is $25 per challenge and you have only 1 challenge per week. The wrestlers have to be within a certain percentage of their weight; Age groups 10, 12, & 14 have to be within 5% of the weight they are wrestling. Age groups 4, 6, & 8 have to be within 3% of the weight they are wrestling.
a. Another side note – before the tournament starts, the league will spot check 2 brackets per session to verify weight of wrestlers. These spot checks will be random per week.
6. The referees will now be using a card system – Yellow and Red cards.
a. As parents what you need to know:
i. If you are yelling at your child, the ref, the coaches, other parents, etc. Your wrestler could lose points and possibly forfeit.
ii. Only 2 coaches (with coaching credentials) per mat on mat side – any, wrestlers, parents, spectators, etc. your wrestler will lose points and possibly forfeit.
iii. Basically, stay in the stands and just watch J
Novice and Experienced – WSWL has many tournaments that are Novice and Experienced. If you child has wrestled one year or more, they are considered experienced. When registering your child for a tournament and your child is Novice, remember to mark novice at the top of the registration form.
Uniforms – At all tournaments a singlet, headgear, wrestling shoes and mouth guard (if you wear braces) are required.
Table Help – During every WSWL tournament, Northglenn Youth Wrestling Club is required to help “run” a table. All parents are required to help at your allotted time, you will sign up during registration. During the time at the table, you may be needed to; time the periods, keep score, call the next wrestlers, etc. If you have never helped with a table during a tournament, please let us know and we will pair you up with someone who has experience and will be able to teach you.
Brackets – Brackets with you child’s age and weight classes are on trackwrestling.com. After every round, brackets will normally be updated. All matches are numbered. Please pay attention to the mat your child is wrestling on and the match numbers in order to have your child ready, when it is their turn to wrestle.
Concessions – Most tournaments have concession items for sale throughout the tournament.