“A team isn't a bunch of kids out to win. A team is something you belong to, something you feel, something you have to earn.”
We need more Coach Bombay's! If you are interested in become a NYCH coach, assistant coach or on-ice helper for the 2019-2020 season, please refer to the following information. On behalf of NCYH, we thank you for volunteering your time and efforts!!!
Steps to Becoming a NCYH Coach
The actions below highlight what is required to become a NCYH coach, which are mandated by USA Hockey and NYSAHA. These requirements also apply to anyone that steps on the the ice, including assistant coaches and helpers. All fees associated with this process are refundable by the NCYH Board. Please keep your receipts and submit them when requesting a refund.
NCYH Coaching Contact Form
Please complete our online coaching contact form HERE. We will also be hosting a coaches meeting in October at the Rouses Point Civic Center.
USA Hockey Requirements
USA Hockey and the Coaching Education Program require both certification and registration to be eligible to coach. Registration is done online on a yearly basis. Certification is also required. A few basic steps requirements are as follows:
- Register as a member of USA Hockey (Cost is $46 plus any affiliate fees if applicable). Click here for more information.
- Coaching Education Program Online Age-Specific Requirements: Complete the online age-specific module(s) for the age level of play you are coaching (Cost is $10 per module and only needs to be completed once per age level). Click here to register for the modules.
- Complete the NYSAHA (New York State Amateur Hockey Association) Background Screening - SafeSport background check. Click here for more information - or here for the direct link.
- Complete the USA Hockey Safe Sport Training (required every two years). Click here for more information.
- Coaching Education Program Certification Clinic Requirements: Find, register and attend a required certification clinic (Cost is $45 plus any lunch fees if applicable). You can only attend one clinic per season and all coaches start at Level 1. (The coaching clinic season for Levels 1-3 officially runs from Sept 1 - Dec 31). Click here for more information and to find/register for an upcoming clinic.
Coaching Requirement Timeframes
Below is a list of timeframes as outlined by USA Hockey and NYSAHA to complete the required actions cited above:
- Online modules - prior to the start of any team activities
- USA Hockey registration - prior to the start of any team activities
- NYSAHA background screening - prior to the start of any team activities
- USA Hockey SafeSport training - prior to the start of any team activities
- Coaching certification clinics - must be completed prior to December 31, 2019
For complete details and additional information, please visit USA Hockey's website.
Please refer to this checklist to assist you in completing the requirements outlined above.
Again, NYCH thanks you for all of the time that is needed to be a coach, we could not run this organization without your help!