Minor Boys (9-10)
1. Dixie League Youth Baseball Rulebook will govern play with the following exceptions.
2. A standard game may not exceed 6 innings in length; however, in case of a tie, the game will continue until a winner is determined. If a game is called due to inclement weather, 4 innings is considered a complete game. The first game will begin at 6:00pm, the second game at 8:00pm or 10 minutes after the completion of the first game if it runs over. No new inning will begin after one hour and forty five minutes of play has elapsed. At this time the game will be determined as a complete game. Teams may start a game with a minimum of 8 players. Teams must finish a game with no less than 8 players. If starting with 8 players, an out does not have to be taken when the ninth spot comes up in the batting order. The only way an out shall be taken is when a team starts with 9 players and one is ejected or leaves the game for reasons other than illness or injury.
3. Suspended games will resume at the point it was postponed, and will continue in accordance with the amount of time and innings that are remaining for a standard game. If subs were used for the suspended game, they are not required to be present at the make-up game.
4. All bats used will be in accordance with the standard set forth in 2018. All bats shall be stamped with the official USA Bat markings. If illegal bat is discovered, the batter shall be declared out and all base runners shall return to last/original base. The bat must be challenged prior to immediate next at bat.
5. No designated hitters allowed.
6. No dropped third strike rule.
7. Mercy Rule: If a team is behind 12 runs in the 3rd inning, 10 runs in the 4th inning, or 8 runs in the 5th inning, the mercy rule goes into effect and the game is over. If the home team is behind, they must be allowed to bat in the bottom of the inning.
8. 6 run rule: if 6 runs are scored by a team in an inning, that half of the inning will end, and teams will switch positions on the field. If there are runners on base when the 6th run scores, runs can score until play has been stopped. A maximum of 9 runs could be scored, if the bases were to be loaded. In the 6th inning and after there will be no limit to the amount of runs scored
9. Pitching mounds are to be set at 46 feet.
10. Portable elevated mounds will now be used.
11. Pitchers are allowed to pitch a total of 3 consecutive innings per game. 1 pitch constitutes an inning. Starting pitchers may be pulled from the pitching position, and re-entered as pitcher 1 time. They still must not exceed 3 innings total. Normal re-entry rules apply.
12. Pitchers hitting 4 batters in a game shall be removed from the game as pitcher. Re-entry in the pitching position shall be prohibited.
13. No pitches are required for intentional walks.
14. Runners may steal when the ball crosses home plate. Runners may advance at their own risk on an overthrow, or passed ball.
15. Both teams will receive the same warning from the umpire for leaving the base too early. If either team receives a second infraction, the player is out.
16. In a 6 inning game, each player must play at least 6 defensive outs or 2 full innings. Within these 2 innings, a player shall be allowed to play defensively in the field throughout; they must also bat at least 1 time. The only exceptions are games that are governed by the Mercy Rule. Violation of this rule is a forfeit.
17. Teams may agree to use a 4th outfielder if both teams have 10 or more players.
18. Hats are a part of the uniform and must be worn by every player except the catcher.
19. If a player is not allowed to participate but sits in the dugout dressed to play, then a written explanation must be received by the umpire prior to the start of the game.
20. All players must stay in their respective dugouts when not participating on the field.
21. Steel spikes are not allowed.
22. Every player must wear protective headgear while batting and running the bases. If a helmet is taken off purposely, the runner is out. All players, or legal minors, that are used to coach the bases must wear protective headgear.
23. If a team is short players, the coach my call up a limit to 4 players from the Rookie Boys (7-8) division in their respective towns. Called up players may play any defensive position except pitcher. They must bat after regularly rostered players. A player may not be called up when the time of the game is in conflict with the players regularly scheduled game. Players that are called up may not start in the field before a regular rostered player. The called up players will play the minimum playing time, unless circumstances permit the need for more playing time. The consequences of an infraction of this paragraph are forfeiture. Teams may only pull players up if they have less than 10 players at game time.
24. Games will be cancelled due to weather related reasons only. If there is any sign of lightening by an umpire, coach, or league administrator, everyone will be pulled off the field for a waiting period of 15 minutes after the last sighting before play can resume. If the weather is still threatening, the game shall be cancelled. If weather breaks, and the grounds permit, the second game (if applicable) may be played. Games shall not be cancelled due to the lack of players, or upon “coach’s agreements.”
25. When rainouts occur, it is the responsibility of the home team’s board to reschedule the games. Games must be scheduled within 2 weeks of the rained out game. If the game has not been rescheduled, it will be ruled as a forfeiture by the home team. If the game is rescheduled and both teams have been informed, any team failing to show will forfeit the game. A rescheduled game may or may not include the same players. If original line up is available it is expected to remain the same. In the event that the same lineup is not available free substitution is allowed.
26. It is important that if you wish to file a protest that you follow the following rules:
1. The coach must notify the umpire at the time of the rule infraction that he/she is protesting the rule violation.
2. You have 24 hours to submit a written account of what has happened to a Tri-Conference board member along with a protest fee of $20.
27. Infield fly rule is used in this division.
28. Substitution Rule: Free substitution. This means a player may enter the game at any time, and in any spot on the field. Players must meet the playing requirements as stated in rule 14.
29. A courtesy runner may be used for the pitcher or catcher at any time during the game. The person making the most recent out shall be used as the courtesy runner for the catcher, if they are on base with 2 outs. This will allow the catcher to be ready for the next inning without any delay.
30. Any pitcher hitting 4 batters must be removed as pitcher. Re-entry as pitcher is prohibited if she is pulled because of the hit batter rule
31. To stop play, any player that has the ball in front of the lead runner may call “time” and play will be stopped.
32. The official Little League baseball will be used as the game ball.
33. Every player will be in the batting order throughout the game. If a player becomes ill or injured and is removed from the game, his place in the batting order may be skipped with no penalty. Once removed for illness or injury, they may not re-enter the game.
34. These rules are intended for the benefit of the young athletes, and timely proceedings of the game. These rules are not in place to be manipulated for personal gain. Any protest will be handled with the intent of this rule.