Are You A Successful Coach?
Babe Ruth/Cal Ripken Coaches Certification Program
With this in mind, the Babe Ruth League/Ripken Baseball Coaching Certification Program was developed. Under the program, all coaches are strongly encouraged to complete the program. Completion is required to for head coaches and assistant coaches of Cal Ripken post-season teams.
The Babe Ruth League/Ripken Baseball Coaching Certification Program consists of the Level 1 coaching certification online courses Coaching Youth Baseball: The Ripken Way for Babe Ruth/Cal Ripken Baseball Coaches and Coaching Youth Softball: The Ripken Way for Babe Ruth Softball Coaches. Babe Ruth League, Inc. and Ripken Baseball, Inc. exclusively endorse these online courses, which are being developed by the American Sport Education Program. The courses are available now, so you have ample time to complete certification requirements prior to the July 31, 2008 deadline.
Coaches who complete the Level 1 course with a score of 80% or better will receive the Babe Ruth League/Ripken Baseball Coaching Certification Program Level 1 certification for baseball or softball and will be able to print a certificate of completion and wallet card from the Web site.
The Level One certification is valid for life.
The cost of the course is $20 and is taken on-line at your own pace.
While the course is not mandatory until 2008, the EJBL Board of Directors strongly encourages all new coaches to complete this certification training prior to the coming season. It is an important step in ensuring a successful season for all our kids!
For more information and to register for the course visit www.baberuthcoaching.org
Coaches Game Night Responsibilites
ALL TEAM’S RESPONSIBILITIES
- All teams are responsible to ensure their dugouts are cleaned of all trash after games and practices.
- If assigned Snack Shack duty, ensure you have parents to cover.
HOME TEAM RESPONSIBILITIES
- It is the responsibility of the HOME team to cancel a game and notify the Umpire (at least one hour before game time whenever possible, but as soon as possible in any case). The HOME team coach should try to consult the visiting coach to discuss the field situation, but is responsible to make the decision when the coaches reasonably disagree. Once the HOME team coach makes the decision to cancel, the HOME team coach should contact the umpire directly – the contact information is on the “Schedule” page of EJBL website in the right column, but you must switch from “Venue” to “Officials” using the dropdown arrow at the heading of the right column. If you click on the specific umpire under “Officials” on the “Schedule” webpage you will be taken to the Umpire’s contact information. The HOME team coach should also immediately email the league Scheduler (currently Bob Stephens - email@example.com) - he will then schedule a makeup game, update the website schedule and work to reschedule the umpire. Once the game starts, play continues SOLELY at the discretion of the home plate umpire.
- The HOME team is responsible to get the field ready before games and ensure everything is cleaned up after games.
- The HOME team is responsible for lining the fields, putting bases in and preparing fields for play 30 minutes prior to game time.
- The HOME team is responsible to provide 2 new game balls for each game.
- The HOME team is responsible for the scoreboard and to put away all numbers after the game
- The HOME team is responsible to drag and rake the field AFTER the game.
- The HOME team is responsible for emptying all trash barrels at Exeter
- The HOME team is responsible for putting away all tools and locking up the storage sheds. Be neat!
SNACK SHACK RESPONSIBILITIES (EXETER ONLY)
- The team who is scheduled for snack shack duty is responsible for coverage - if assigned parents don't show, the coach MUST find someone to work the shack.
- The team that has snack shack duty needs to stay while the area is cleaned up, and ensure the shack and shed areas are locked and lights are off.
WINNING TEAM RESPONSIBILITIES
- The Winning team MUST enter the game results to the website.
- Visitors take the field 30 minutes prior to game time
- Home takes the field 20 minutes prior to game time
- Meet with umpire 10 minutes prior to game time.
Web Site Guides for Coaches
Entering Game Results
The winning team must enter results for each game on the EJBSL web site. In case of a tie, the home team will enter results. The following 7 items are the only ones required:
- Runs per inning
- Total runs
- Game status
- Innings played
- Game summary
- Innings pitched by player for both teams
Equipment and Uniforms
Players keep all uniforms. Players will provide their own pants and they must be gray. If you need an X-small or X-large size, notify the Equipment Manager.
First Aid Kits
Babe Ruth League Insurance Claim Form
Claim Form (PDF)
Coaches should download and print a copy of this file to keep with the team first aid kit. In case of an accident or injury, please complete the form and return to the League.
Go to the link above to view, print, or download the current league by-laws file (PDF format).
EJBL Local Playing Rules
Coaches are responsible for knowing the Local League rules. Coaches should also be familiar with the general rules of baseball as defined in their Cal Ripken rule books. This is especially true for pitching rules. Pitching rules are designed for the players' safety and will be strictly enforced.
Go to the the link above to view, print, or download the current Local League rules file (PDF format).