Parents, Come Ride with the Team!
Not only do we want parents and adult volunteers to ride, we NEED you to ride! The more kids we have on the team, the more adults we need at practices. If you can ride a bike, you can help.
Start at Any Riding Level
Are you a beginner? We have beginner riders that need your supervision, so come and learn to ride with them! Can you only ride once a week? Or every couple of weeks? Great! Please join us.
Registration & Training Overview
To ride with the team, you must be registered and meet NICA’s minimum training and certification standards. Coaches cannot allow you to ride with the team—even if your kid is riding—until you complete Level 1 certification (see below).
The following is a general overview of requirements. For more detail, including schedules for training, visit the league’s website here.
First, Get Registered
To get started, email us at JordanHSmtb@gmail.com so we can send you an invite from the online registration platform, Pit Zone, when it opens on April 1.
Please note that many certification requirements can only be completed after April 1. However, requirements that DO NOT expire annually (e.g. First Aid/CPR, On-the-Bike Skills 101, and Leaders’ Summit Training) can be completed BEFORE April 1. Just be sure to save your completion certificate to submit later to Pit Zone!
Second, Choose Your Level of Involvement
To ride with the team, you must be registered and meet NICA’s minimum training and certification standards. There are three levels of participation. Requirements increase as you move up.
LEVEL 1 – EASY RIDER (Age 18+): At Level 1, you can ride with the team but cannot lead a group or a practice. This is the minimum requirement to ride with our students. All certifications for Level 1 are done online, via Pit Zone. Requirements:
- Register at Pit Zone (Make sure you are signed in as yourself, not your student)
- Fill out participation agreement and coach licensing in Pit Zone
- Pass the annual background check; initiated through Pit Zone ($38.00 first year, $11.00 thereafter)
- Watch and complete Concussion Training, then upload your certificate to Pit Zone
- Watch Risk Management Level 1 video (in Litmos, accessed via Pit Zone) and pass the quiz
- Watch the Athlete Abuse Awareness Training (in Litmos, accessed via Pit Zone)
- Watch the NICA Student-Athlete Coaching Philosophy (in Litmos, accessed via Pit Zone)
- Login to Pit Zone to confirm the status of your certifications
LEVEL 2 – RIDE LEADER (Age 21+): You can lead a specific group within a team and you are allowed to plan practices under Head Coach Supervision. Our team needs as many Level 2 certified Ride Leaders as possible to ensure we can hold practices. This certification takes more time because of
First Aid/CPR certification, skills training, and field work. Requirements:
- Complete or renew all of Level 1 requirements:
- Watch Risk Management 2 video (in Litmos, accessed via Pit Zone) and pass the quiz
- Certify in First Aid/CPR*
- Complete NICA On-the-Bike Skills training*
- Do 20 hours+ of field work
- Login to Pit Zone to check the status of your certifications
*Can be completed before April 1; save your certificate to upload to Pit Zone later
LEVEL 3 – FULL COACH (Age 21+): You can plan practices, lead groups, and plan ride schedules and training plans as directed by Head Coach. At Level 3, you can also become a Head Coach or Team Director. Click here to review the list of NICA requirements and get started on the path to certification.
For more information or help, contact our team’s coaching staff at JordanHSmtb@gmail.com.