2019 NORTH SHORE SOFTBALL
MINORS SPRING RULES
Rules for 9/10 year olds (4th & 5th Grade)
1. 6 Inning game
2. 4 run limit per inning, except last inning which is unlimited, unless Visiting team is up by 12
or more runs, then final at bat for visiting team shall be 4 runs. Visiting team at bat shall end,
once lead reaches 16 runs, regardless of number of outs in inning
3. Pitching from 35 feet, no raised mounds
4. 11 inch yellow, raised seam – Dudley SBC-11 raised seem or equivalent
5. Maximum 3 innings, each pitcher per game. The innings
do not have to be consecutive. (If a girls throws a single pitch in an inning, that shall
count as a full inning pitched)
6. No dropped third strike
7. Continuous batting order
8. 10 fielders
9. Stealing after the ball passes the plate – runner may release from base after ball crosses plate.
1st early release, team warning, 2nd early release (dead ball) runner is called out. Maximum
steals of home 2 per inning. Delayed Stealing shall not be permitted (including throws
back to pitcher and overthrows of pitcher from catcher).
10. Tagging up is allowed
11. Free substitutions
12. If up by 6 runs, stealing shall not be permitted.
13. Run Rule - 15 runs after 4 innings
14. No infield fly rule
15. No New Full Inning starts after 1:45
16. You must slide, avoid contact, or give yourself up if fielder has ball and is awaiting to
make a tag when going into the next base other than first base.
17. No chanting permitted
18. No fist bumps, fore arm bumps, or congratulatory “bad game” when teams line up after
the game, have girls show sportsmanship
19. 3 hit by pitches per inning the pitcher is pulled from the mound. They can come back to
pitch in subsequent innings if their inning allotment has not been satisfied. A total of 4 hit
by pitches and the pitcher is must be removed from the pitching position for the
remainder of the game.
20. When using windmill, both feet must start on the rubber. A step back with the non pivot
foot shall be permitted.
21. Pivot foot must remain in contact with ground at all times. No Crow hops.
22. When using the non windmill K or T positions, one foot on the rubber is acceptable
23. Continuation on walk is not permitted after being awarded 1st base via base on balls.
24. You need 8 players to start the game. If you don’t have 8 players, you can call up from
the lower division. If you still do not have enough, the opposing team shall lend
defensive players to team with insufficient players. A minimum of 9 girls in this scenario
shall be on field when borrowing players. Players lent shall be last 2 players in batting
order for the particular inning. If call ups are used, call ups must play in the outfield and
25. Call ups and players on loan from other town teams (your own town) shall not pitch in
games. If call ups are used, call ups must play in the outfield and bat last. Players from
other age appropriate town teams may play any position, accept pitcher and catcher,
and may bat anywhere in lineup.
26. No short center fielder. Outfields shall be in the outfield grass, a minimum of 5 feet from
27. Catchers may be run for with any number of outs. Pitchers may be run for at any time.
The last batted out player should be the one chosen to pinch run.
28. No Take Sign Rule: Batters shall not be told to take pitches or be given the take
sign. Teach the players the strike zone and let them learn from their mistakes.
(Commentary: It’s true that some/most pitchers may struggle with control, but think of
how boring it would be for your players if you didn’t let them swing the bat. What are
you teaching them? If they swing at a ball above their heads or that bounces or is way
outside, correct them in practice or on the bench. We had a few instances last year
where coaches were telling their players not to swing. Then a pitcher would throw a
strike and the batter didn’t get the chance to swing because “Coach” said don’t swing.
This makes it boring, and we then lose kids. Our goal here is teaching, fun and
enthusiasm for the sport.)
29. If a coach or manager is ejected from a game, mandatory 1 game suspension (next
30. Arguing with umpires is unacceptable. If a coach feels a call was missed, discuss call
with umpire between innings. Do not embarrass umpire or yourselves by chirping to
umpire throughout the game. Complaints about umpires should be sent directly to
31. Coaches are responsible for their parents. Parents should be at games to cheer all
athletes. Parents shall follow same rules as coaches and shall not question umpires.
Umpires shall have the right to speak to managers if umpire feels that parents are abusive
in any way towards umpire or opposing players. If manager cannot control parents, they
shall be asked to leave field, or move to a distance away from field so they can still watch
game. If parents continue to behave in an unsportsmanlike behavior, umpire has the right
to forfeit game. Please don’t let it come to this.
32. Safety base shall be utilized at first base for all games.
33. Safety cages for all batting helmets shall be used.