- Go Wilson JBO!
Welcome to the Home of
Wilson Junior Baseball (JBO)
Update on Season
Hello Wilson JBO Families!
We hope that everyone is staying safe and healthy this spring. Normally, most of our families would be working, all of our kids would be attending school in an actual classroom, and every one of us would have watched our kids play some baseball games by now. Unfortunately, we do not live in normal times and all of us have had to adjust both personally and professionally without a clear end on the immediate horizon.
It is with deep sadness that we have to relay to all of you that the 2020 Spring Baseball season has been officially cancelled as of today, May 10th. Through these challenging, unprecedented times, we had held out hope that we would be able to get back to some normalcy in our lives and that baseball would commence.
Last week, Westside Youth Baseball, which oversees JBO programs in our area as part of the greater JBO of Oregon, announced that they would be cancelling the 2020 spring season due to the latest messaging from Governor Kate Brown, which stated “Phase III concerns high-risk, large gatherings such as concerts, conventions, festivals and live audience sports. Brown reminds the public, however, that these gatherings will not be possible until a reliable treatment or prevention is available. Due to this, all large gatherings should be cancelled or significantly modified through at least September.”
As part of this new guidance that is to be statewide, coupled with revised directives by the JBO governing bodies, Wilson JBO has no choice but to cancel our Spring/Summer season. Effectively immediately. We are obviously deeply disappointed in the decisions being made, but we have to abide by them.
Now that we know there will be no baseball this Spring/Summer season, the Wilson JBO board has discussed options for refunds. After careful analysis of our financial position and cash available, we will be offering the option for a partial refund of your spring registration fees. The refund is partial because we incur the vast majority of our costs prior to launching the season. Some of these include:
- Field Maintenance & supplies-
- Equipment Purchase and Storage
- Credit card fees/website/marketing materials/mailbox
- League fees
- Player evaluations expenses
Not all of these expenses can be recovered and therefore we do not have all of the funds available to include in potential refunds. The unfortunate truth is that the league operates on a very tight financial basis, and we rely heavily upon our sponsors and community donations to meet our total operating costs. We are 100% committed to providing our community with a top notch Baseball experience in the future so we need your support and understanding to do that.
Understanding that our families face different circumstances, we will offer two refund options:
1. DONATE - Continue to support Wilson JBO and donate part or all of your registration fee for a tax deduction. We will provide you with a charitable contribution tax receipt; or
2. REFUND - 80% of your registration fee refunded through your original form of payment. Aligning with other leagues we have seen but understanding different expenses and financial positions, we also decided to offer partial refunds. The Wilson JBO Board has agreed to provide our families with the highest maximum refund that is possible due to our current finances of 80%.
ACTION NEEDED: To initiate your refund, donation, or a combination of the two (such as donate 50% and receive a 50% refund), please complete this survey to indicate your preference. Checks will be mailed. We appreciate your patience while we get these processed as quickly as possible.
The deadline to submit a refund request is 5/22/20. If you do not select an option, we will assume you have selected Option 1 above.
We cannot thank you enough for your patience, support and understanding during this time. Wilson JBO is run 100% by volunteers who like you are dealing with juggling homeschooling kids, job changes, and other issues that go along with living during a pandemic. We look forward to the day where we can all say “LET’S PLAY BALL”!
Wilson JBO Board
6:30PM to 7:40PM
7:50PM to 9:00PM
- Monday, March 9 6:30-9pm (Wilson Gym)
- Wednesday, March 11, 6:30-9pm (Wilson Gym)
- Friday, March 13, 6:30-9pm (Wilson Gym)
- Monday, March 16 6:30-9pm (Wilson Gym)
- Wednesday, March 18, 6:30-9pm (Wilson Gym)
- Friday, March 20, 6:30-9pm (Wilson Gym)
- Saturday, March 21, 12-4 weather permitting (Clopton Field)
- Sunday, March 22, 12-4 (if needed) weather permitting (Clopton Field)
Here is some insight on the JBO bat situation in bullet point form:
- When purchasing you want to buy a “USSSA 1.15 BPF” stamped bat which is found on the neck of the bat above the grip (I have included a pic of what that stamp looks like).
- The “USA” Little League stamped bats are indeed legal but have basically zero “pop” or “punch” compared to the JBO USSSA bats. Keep in mind we are playing on larger fields now.
- USSSA bats range from -10 to -3 in weight (drop 10 to drop 3) this represents the difference between the length of the bat and the weight. For example a 31 inch 23 oz bat would be a -8 bat.
- A drop 5 bat will have more power then a drop 10 bat, however a drop 10 bat will be much lighter and quicker. I believe drop 5 bats through drop 8 bats are the sweet spot for most of the JBO age group. If your boy is strong, older or large in frame I recommend a drop 5. If your player is young or slight in frame a drop 8 is probably best and drop 10 for the extreme.
- When shopping for a new USSSA JBO bat and you are on a budget, then I recommend looking into perusing last year’s model bats online. For example you can find new in the wrapper bats from last year or older that might be below $200 that were once around $400-$500. Obviously there are much cheaper options out there as well. Places like “Play It Again Sports” have solid used options often and Dicks will have all of the newest hottest bats.
- If you are going to shop at DICKS, wait until March 7/8 or April 4/5 to take advantage of the 20% coupon from SW Portland Little League. We will share the coupon in March.
- Here are a few links to start but there are a ton of sites out there:
If I were to recommend bats I would lean towards the upper tiered Louisville Prime series or the DeMarini Cf and Voodoo series. Marucci and Easton have fantastic bats as well. Definitely do your research as there is a bunch of info and bat reviews out there!
Wilson JBO is seeking sponsors!
Wilson Junior Baseball Organization (JBO) is a non-profit provider of baseball programs in SW Portland, Oregon. Wilson JBO is a member of Westside Youth Baseball and Junior Baseball Organization. Wilson JBO
Jackson Project Founding Sponsor ($5,000)
Inclusion in all digital, social or marketing communications from Wilson JBO. Founding member for development of home field at Jackson Middle School field, dug outs, and other home field upgrades to ensure Wilson JBO continues to provide its athletes with the best place to play and succeed.
All Star Sponsor ($5,000) ONLY ONE
Inclusion in all digital, social or marketing communications from Wilson JBO. Full sponsorship of all JBO baseball teams with company logo.
Federal Sponsor ($2,000)
American level benefits plus two team sponsorships. Team sponsorship includes company logo on jersey of the team being sponsored.
American Sponsor ($1,500)
National level benefits plus one team level sponsorship. Team sponsorship includes company logo on jersey of the team being sponsored. Inclusion in JBO weekly email communications.
National Sponsor ($500+)
Entry level sponsorship offering great exposure website visitors a year at https://www.leaguelineup.com/welcome.asp?url=wilsonjbo
Description Benefits Cost Available Sponsor's logo image and description of business will be displayed on the home page of our website. Sponsors supply their own graphics.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Registration now open!
Nate Wilson-Traisman has joined the Wilson JBO coaching staff!
Nate will be joining Wilson JBO as our Hitting and Pitching Coach that will work with all levels.
Join the Wilson JBO E-mail List
If you are new to Wilson JBO and would like to get on our e-mail list, please send your contact information to email@example.com. In 2020 our baseball program is open to players in 7th or 8th grade and who live or go to school with in the Wilson High School territory. Please provide your player's name, school and grade, and also contact information for all parents/guardians who you would like to receive league e-mails. Thank you.
Current Bat Rules
Here are the current JBO bat rules, direct from the state JBO website: