The Early Years
Our Troop was officially launched in 1938 as Troop 51 of the Potawattomi Trails Council, chartered by American Legion Post 526 of Orland Park. Ralph L. Town became the first Scoutmaster and W.R. Schussler, Jr. was the first Committee Chairman. Eleven Scouts were part of the original Troop. Another three boys joined that first year.
In 1939, our Troop grew to 17 boys ranging in age from 12 to 16, eight of whom were listed as Tenderfoot rank, the rest as Second Class. Ralph Town, the Scoutmaster, was joined by Owen Creer and Martin Stienhagen, both age 20, as Assistant Scoutmasters.
Orland was still a very small town in 1938 ― all the members of the founding Troop were neighbors, they lived on either West Avenue or Raney Lane in Old Orland.
In 1940, William Maddox became the first Scout to attain the rank of First Class.
In 1944, the Troop had four patrols: Flying Eagle, Beaver, Bat and Elk. In 1945, the patrols listed included Eagle, Beaver, Cobra, Bat and Elk. In 1946, Cobra was replaced with the Tiger patrol.
When his father became our first Scoutmaster in 1938, Robert Town was only six years old… four years away from becoming a member of the Troop. Robert went on to be the second in our Troop to attain Eagle Scout rank, which he earned in 1952.
Our Chartered Organization remained the Orland Park American Legion until 1968, when Orland State Bank (now Marquette Bank) assumed the role.
From 51 to 318
Potawattomi Trails Council (1938)
We were registered as Troop 51 in Potawattomi Trails Council in 1938. We remained Troop 51 through 1944.
Pokagon Trails Council (1943)
In 1943, Potawattomi Trails and Pokagon Councils merged to become Pokagon Trails Council.
In 1945, we became Troop 251 in the Indian Trails District of Pokagon Trails Council.
In 1955, our District changed to Potawattomi.
In 1960, we became Troop 318, our current Troop number.
Calumet Council (1966)
Our current Council, Calumet, headquartered in Munster, Indiana, was formed in 1966. The Council is the result of a merger of the Pokagon Trails Council and the Sauk Trails Council.
From 1973 to 1994 we were in the Lone Pine District of Calumet Council. In 1995 our District changed back to Potawattomi.
Today, we are part of the Nishnabec District of Calumet Council.