- Over the past three years, the event has raised a total of $35,000 to support the Hunterdon Regional Cancer Center.
- The tournament included 24 girls and 12 boys basketball teams, ranging from fourth to eighth grade.
- Each team received a team trophy, while each player received a participation trophy or medal and a T-shirt.
- All proceeds from the tournament were donated to the Hunterdon Regional Cancer Center in memory of Cynthia K. Critelli.
The 12th annual Cynthia K. Critelli Memorial Basketball Memorial Tournament presented the Hunterdon Healthcare Foundation with a check for $13,000 to support the Hunterdon Regional Cancer Center.
Over the past three years, this event has raised a total of $35,000 to support the Hunterdon Regional Cancer Center.
The tournament was held from March 6 to 8 at Holland Brook School, Hunterdon Central Regional High School, JP Case, Readington Middle School and Round Valley School, Clinton Township and was hosted by Hunterdon Horizon Girls Non-Profit Basketball Organization. The tournament included 24 girls and 12 boys basketball teams, ranging from fourth to eighth grade. Each team played four games over the three days. Each team received a team trophy while each player received a participation trophy or medal and a T-shirt.
Individual players were also recognized with awards in memory of James Byrnes (all-tournament team), Cynthia K. Critelli (championship game MVP), Kevin Gilbert (hustle), Maria L. Hartman (sportsmanship) and Drew O’Donoghue (outstanding player in the tournament) and the Robert Woods Johnson Physician Enterprise Award (outstanding game in the tournament). In addition, on March 8, an eighth-grade sendoff ceremony was held with each player presenting their parent with flowers (donated by ShopRite of Flemington) to say thank you for their support.
All proceeds from the tournament were donated to the Hunterdon Regional Cancer Center in memory of Cynthia K. Critelli, a Readington teacher and beloved community member who died in 2004 after battling breast cancer.
The Hunterdon Regional Cancer Center is staffed by board-certified oncologists, radiation oncologists and oncology-certified nurses. Its comprehensive services include chemotherapy, radiation therapy, clinical research, early detection and screening programs, support groups, educational programs, nutrition counseling, psychosocial support, complimentary therapies and cancer risk assessment. Proceeds from this event will support patients in need at Hunterdon Regional Cancer Center.
Tournament Director Ron Armellino acknowledged the following people and organizations that helped to make the event a success:
• Chef Paul of La Casa Bianca,
• David Merkel from Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish, Darrows Sporting Edge,
• Flemington-Raritan Youth Basketball, Flemington-Raritan Regional Board of Education,
• Hunterdon Central Regional High School Board of Education,
• Hunterdon Central Girls 2014-15 Basketball Team, Rick Stefany from i- Path Media,
• Keith Roden from Raritan Township, Melissa Adams from Readington Township,
• Patti Marcine from Readington Township, Pelican Ski and Pool,
• Readington Township Board of Education, Readington Township Recreation
• RWJPE Bridgewater Medical Group, Shop Rite of Flemington, Sorella’s Pizza and Pasta, Thomas Silva from Clinton Township Recreation,
• Tom and Darlene Daley from Readington Township,
• All companies and individuals who donated to the Tournament Booklet,
• All of the Volunteers from Flemington-Raritan and Readington Township.
Hunterdon Regional Cancer Center appreciates the thoughtfulness behind this donation and the effort put forth to put on a successful event for the 12th year. For more information on Hunterdon Regional Cancer Center, visit www.hunterdonhealthcare.org/cancer.