Ages: 7, 8 years Those born in the years 2010 & 2011
Seasons Offered: Spring & Fall Season
The 8U program builds on the 6U program and begins to transition the players from on-the-field coach involvement to complete player-only play. Safety remains our primary concern where an 11 inch Incrediball is used (a “softer” versioned softball). Teams are kept small, guaranteeing each child 100% playing time to minimize standing or sitting around. Additionally, the players will get more individual coaching time, focused on learning fundamentals like catching, throwing, batting, and base running. We also play a form of kid pitch/coach pitch, where kid-pitch is phased in over the course of the season with a maximum of two innings of kid pitch. There are no walks, no Tees, and players can strike out. There is also no base stealing. There is greater emphasis on defense where players will make force outs, catch balls in the air, and make throws to first base. There are in-house pitcher/catcher clinics available for the players and their parents to introduce the proper mechanics to best enable their success. Games are not scored and team win/loss records are not maintained.
No Tryouts or Placements are necessary for this age group.
Spring Season: Cost $90 softball plus $100 annual CAC Family fee
Spring Season Time Commitment:
• April thru Mid June
• Practices: Two Weekdays plus Saturday in Crofton, may change to 1 weeknight during season
• Games: Typically Saturdays in Crofton, Bowie, South River and Gambrills (GORC)
Fall Season: Cost $TBD
Fall Season Time Commitment:
• mid-August through end of October
• Practices: Weekday and Frequency determined by coach in Crofton
• Games: Sundays at 1 pm or 3 pm; half played in Crofton, half played in Middle to Northern Anne Arundel County
• Bringing your own batting helmet is suggested for health and safety reasons, though not required.
• Glove – Recommend Jennie Finch Mizuno Glove with Cutouts. Glove must be big enough to allow the ball to be easily be held inside the glove.
Spring Uniform: Jersey, shorts and visor - Provided by CAC
Fall Uniform: Jersey, shorts and visor - Provided by CAC